Should we be wearing (natural) sunscreen 24/7 due to blue light exposure?

OccamzRazer

As the title says...

I found a sunscreen with really great ingredients: Sunscreens | Kabana Organic Skin Care | Organic Skin Care and Sunscreen by Kabana Skin Care

Recently I've been using this sunscreen everyday, mostly on my face and hands - not due to sunlight exposure, but due to blue light exposure.

Is such a practice effective? The research I've read seems mixed.

Could natural sunscreen be a good addition to other blue-light combatants, such as blue-blocking glasses and red light therapy?

Grapelander

Coconut Oil has partial UV protection; you still make Vitamin D with less free radicals.
The higher antioxidant status in the skin after coconut oil treatment is important because antioxidants protect the skin from destructive free radicals in the body and the environment. Free radicals are generated by such things as paints, varnishes, lacquer, formaldehyde (common in bedding, drapes, rugs, etc.), detergents, cosmetics, solvents, smog, bacteria, viruses, fungi, cuts and abrasions, X rays, and ultraviolet radiation from the sun.

The Illuminating Engineer - 1925
The Mediterranean sunlight, in which our civilization was born and nurtured, was used in medicine by Hippocrates 400 B.C. Arguments regarding priority amongst modern advocates are therefore superfluous. After the rebirth of learning Bonnet used sunlight in Lyons in 1845 for the cure of what is now called “ surgical tuberculosis.’’? In 1900 Dr. T. A. Palm (nat. 1848) showed that rickets, a disease of growth, occurs Where children are without sunlight, and vice versa. His magniticent paper was ignored and a generation was lost until, thanks to an American student, my attention was drawn to it in New York in 1922. Three years after Palm the late Dr. Niels Finsen began to cure tubercle of the skin by sunlight and by electric light from a carbon arc in Copenhagen. A decade later, Dr. A. Rollier began to cure so-called ‘‘ surgical tuberculosis,”’ alter the ghastly failure of surgery, by the Alpine sun- light of Leysin in the Alpes Vaudoises. In 1910 he erected the ‘‘ School in the Sun.’’

Sunlight & Eye Care The Scope - 1950 (Massachusetts College of Optometry)
Plenty of sunshine, winter and summer, is one of the most effective treatments for both body and eyes—and is the most available treatment for all classes and sections of humanity. The beneficial action of the sun depends on the ultra-violet ray, an invisible part of the sunlight, which upon striking the naked skin changes some of the ergosterol (a fat) beneath the skin into that much-needed substance—Vitamin D. A prolonged lack of sunlight causes light starvation in certain parts of the physical body and eyes and impairs the circulation of life forces through such parts, which results in diseased organs or possibly malignant growths.

How often do we hear people complain that they are unable to sit in the sun because it hurts their eyes, or they must wear dark sunglasses "to protect their eyes." If the eyes are sensitive to light or glare, it is due to a lack of sunshine Vitamin A. And this needed sunshine vitamin cannot be absorbed through tinted lenses or sun goggles. Tinted lenses will obstruct or neutralize the valuable sun rays, so essential to the eyes and general health, and will increase the eye's sensitive- ness to light.

Sunlight And Health(1928)

Effect of Sunlight Exposure on Cognitive Function
The study found an association between decreased exposure to sunlight and increased probability of cognitive impairment using a novel data source. We are the first to examine the effects of two-week exposure to sunlight on cognition, as well as the first to look at sunlight's effects on cognition in a large cohort study.

Attachments

• Illuminating Engineer_1925-07_18.pdf
    18.6 MB · Views: 7
I've heard good things about night mode or night light on computers and phones which may reduce blue light.

JamesGatz

This is interesting - it's so difficult to dodge blue light form fluroscents on the ceiling and I feel when I rub stuff on the skin I could possibly be harming androgen production from the skin so I don't know - honestly was unable to tolerate fluroscents on the ceiling at my old job

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

I've heard good things about night mode or night light on computers and phones which may reduce blue light.
For sure! I use blue blocking glasses and filters on phone/computer.

Even so, it seems almost impossible to avoid getting excess blue light on one's hands, the rest of their face, etc.

Thus the potential need for some type of sunscreen.

RealNeat

Just wear clothes. Same with the sun, umbrellas, clothes and shade are protection enough as opposed to questionable metal lotions.

I wear a hat, and long sleeves when under blue spiking lights. The brim of the hat tends to protect the thyroid but if you're feeling really hipster you can wear a turtle neck or scarf to protect the thyroid.

The flicker is also a big issue, you can mitigate flicker with UVA exposure or steady light. Hard to do in a work setting unless you can take outdoors breaks often, have a full spectrum reptile bulb near or bright 250w heat lamp.

Flicker from artificial light can be mitigated by getting a monitor around 60hz (works for some people with symptoms not all...) and using the software "Iris" to dim the screen as opposed to the built in dimmer.

Use slow motion on you phone camera to observe flicker.

CharmingAnon

The hours of light that you are exposed to control your hormones and neuron transmitters this determines your appetite. Which is why we have the 3 main food groups carbohydrates, protein and dietary fats. When the light is long you are programmed to crave sugar so that you will gain weight and have repository fat when the light become short and plants go away. So we gain fat during the long light and lose fat over the winter. But since we have artificial lights we never have dark winters and its like for the body we are living an eternal summer because we have electric lights and heat. It has less to do with the brightness but how many hours a day we are exposed to it. We should be storing fat for hibernation/night but without normal day and night periods our skin, sleep and blood cells get worse. With that in mind the simple solution is to turn your lights out earlier at night or reduce it. If you are around artificial light all day it might be worth looking into hormone therapy. My only tip to you would be use baby zinc cream on your skin as this reflects the sun and blue light away and its perfectible safe to use and it only takes small amounts I mean a pea sized scoop should cover a large area you can also cover up with clothes there are numerous other skin benefits of zinc if you delve deeper into. Regarding using phones the night time mode should have enough background drop for you to place a white A4 over and read this will stop most of the blue light. Its also important make sure the light source is not hitting your head from above on the pineal gland as this tricks the body into thinking the sun is still up.