Should i opt out of dental anaesthetic for a filling? Dentist strongly advises i have it

Anaesthetic or not ?

• Have it

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Don't have it

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Josh

Having one dental filling done tomorrow and then two fillings done next week, i’ve been told an anaesthetic will be used, it’s just a local anaesthetic, is this bad? Or should i opt out of it?

I’ve asked the dentist and he strongly advises having it or it will be excruciatingly painful. i think the risk of not having it comes from suddenly jolting when you experience pain and then potentially the drill hits the tooth and causes more damage or it just hits another part of your mouth. I think you gotta weigh up the pros and cons. Dentist says i can drive straight after, wont effect me in any way after apart from that area of gum might be numb.

This is my dental x-rays if it means anything:

TheSir

The metabolic after-effects of local anesthetic are minimal.

Perry Staltic

Depends on where they're at. I've had molars filled without anesthesia, and it wasn't excruciating, but was intense at times. I've also had them filled on the front surface of teeth and I hardly even noticed. Just depends on how close the drill gets to the nerve.

LucyL

Most dental anesthetic is lidocaine, which Peat speaks favorably of at least in some contexts.

shine

Yeah take it, it's not really harmful and definitely helps.

OliviaD

Oh my I am reading this long after the fact.. but I hope this person took the anesthetic.. tooth drilling pain is the worst thing I've ever felt -- it is truly torture and I cringe reading about drilling w/o anesthetic!!!

reality

I know this is an old thread, any ideas how we could reverse/stop the cavities without having fillings in future?

OliviaD

I know this is an old thread, any ideas how we could reverse/stop the cavities without having fillings in future?
Well, it seems like there are some theories, but I honestly don't know. I know there are people who say it is possible to remineralize the teeth, I'm not sure if fixing cavities is a more intense from of "remineralization".

I've read as much as I can on here and elsewhere - and honestly, I don't think anyone knows 'for sure' why some people are troubled more with decay and I hear everything from sugar is to be banned to it doesn't matter, acid is the main culprit, to no it is not. Some people never go to the dentist, some say if you don't you will get in trouble. I don't know what to think.

I have found a company called Orawellness that makes a tooth powder with hydroxyapetite (basically what your teeth need to remineralize) and they seem to be ethical and have good information. I just purchased their tooth powder and healthy mouth drops. I like them so far. I don't have any cavities (I don't think) :) so can't speak to any long term effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom