Should everyone take hormone supplements?

cout12

Is hormone supplements something that everyone should take to stay healthy? Is it only to fix acute problems? Is there a guide or something? I tried to search for it but I didn't even really know what keywords to use. I also only understand really dumbed down articles.

tara

I have not used thyroid supps, so I have no experience with this, just what I've read from Peat and here. I do use progesterone. I am not an expert, and have not yet solved my key problems. But here is how it seems to me.

The way it seems to me, probably some people get a lot more benefits from hormone supplements than others, and some people don't need any supps, at least at some times of their lives.

There have been estimates from 5-40% of (US?) population being hypothyroid, and some of these need thyroid supps to be reasonably well. Monitoring body temperature and pulse, along with symptoms, can help figure this out. If you happen to have had blood tests for the various thyroid hormones, this can give relevant info too. You'd want the actual results, not just a dr's assessment that they are 'normal'.

A lot of women seem to get estrogen dominance going on at some part of our lives, and some men do too. Progesterone can help with that. Men who supplement usually use less than women.

Some people can improve both conditions significantly by diet. If you are considering supplementing, it's good to make sure you're eating a diet that will support improved metabolism anyway, so may as well start with that, and then see if more is needed.

I would recommend reading/listening to Peat's articles and interviews till you get a bit more of an understanding of what might be going on before you try hormone supps. You are likely to have to experiment yourself to get them working for you (if you need them), and it will likely be safer and more effective if you can observe changes and have an idea about what they mean. You might find Peat's interviews easier to follow than his articles. I get more from his articles each time I read them, and as I learn more terminology.

With thyroid (if needed), the cautious approach is to start low and increment a little after 3-4 weeks till a good level is reached. T4 has a long half life, and if it builds up too high, it can take while to come down again. T3 has a short half-life (hours).
For women taking progesterone, there are guidelines that suggest starting higher, and reducing as symptoms come under control.
If there is a goiter, Peat recommends getting that down before supplementing progesterone, if both conditions apply, because progesterone can get the thyroid unloading a bit too fast.

If you want to post more information about your health and diet etc, you'll probably get some more detailed advice (not necessaily all in agreement :):).

Take care.

Henry

The goal should be to let your body balance the hormones itself without having to supply them from the outside. Hormone therapy always has the caveat that either you don´t need the particular hormone in the first place or that your demand for that hormone changes over time without you knowing. Both of those could lead to either under- or overtreatment, as external hormone treatment is almost always known to suppress its own internal production or the production of the releasing-hormone, which makes the body more sluggish in responding quickly to changes in demand.

Zachs

Hard to say. Back in the day, most animal flesh had trace amounts of thyroid hormone in it and people often ate thyroid glands of various animals. Now days thats not the case. Maybe exogenous sources of thyroid hormone have been a key part of our survival. Or not. One thing for sure though is that the world we live in makes it hard to have a fully functioning thyroid.

HDD

" If a person's thyroid gland has been inhibited by very high doses of a supplement, it takes only 2 or 3 days for the gland to resume full activity, and because it takes time for the hormone to be excreted, suddenly stopping a supplement shouldn't be noticeable, when the gland isn't being inhibited or malfunctioning. "

BingDing

IMHO, yes, absolutely. High thyroid function and low estrogen is what makes just being alive feel like a million bucks. There ain't no substitute for it, it's just the way our cells/body/mind work.

RP said he likes to be "slightly hyperthyroid". I do, too!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals