Should Calcium Carbonate Be Taken With Food?

jpet1980

From my knowledge, you can continue to take calcium carbonate daily. I remember Ray stating the eggshell would be the best source due to its low heavy metal count. Oyster shell powder would be the second. I would take it with food since calcium carbonate is very pure and can irritate the intestine.
I would try to keep dairy in your diet if possible due to not only the calcium but the high nutrient profile.

OP
L

Logan-

From my knowledge, you can continue to take calcium carbonate daily. I remember Ray stating the eggshell would be the best source due to its low heavy metal count. Oyster shell powder would be the second. I would take it with food since calcium carbonate is very pure and can irritate the intestine.
I would try to keep dairy in your diet if possible due to not only the calcium but the high nutrient profile.

Thank you. The pH level of the stomach and its effects on calcium carbonate absorption, and Cal. carbonate's effects on the gastric pH was on my mind, more specifically, when I asked whether it should be taken with or without food.

I am allergic to dairy and eggs. That's why I bought this product: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Calcium-Carbonate-Powder-12-Ounces/dp/B004421K68

The labdoor analysis of this product says it passed their purity tests "(heavy metal content below 2 PPM)". NOW Foods Calcium Carbonate Review

I think, due to my allergy to eggs, I wouldn't be able to consume the eggshell powder. I can only hope the NOW calcium carbonate powder is safe, heavy-metal wise.

jpet1980

Now has some pretty good products. I think its safe to say if you had it with a meal with no digestive upset that it wouldn't affect the ph. I think it just might delay absorption of the meal. You could have it with a meal that doesn't consist of meat. Maybe boiled greens as another option? I actually do that daily and add some baking soda to reduce the oxalates.
I have developed eczema. It came around the time I used eggshell powder. Since I took it out, it still exists and could be from something else. I just noticed it got aggrivated after I consumed it.

OP
L

Logan-

I too get eczema and other skin problems, along with gut problems with eggs (even the yolk is problematic for me). Egg protein is known to be allergenic for many people, as you might know. Maybe, in your case, if you don't have an allergy, it could be the eggshell powder irritating your intestine that's causing the eczema. I don't know, just a thought.

• Use a fine-mesh sifter or strainer to separate out the fine powder that you'll be consuming from any larger chunks.

eggshell-calcium-making-sifting.jpg

I think this is an important step to prevent digestive irritation. Even with my fancy burr grinder and two rounds of grinding, I still had leftover eggshell shards:

eggshell-calcium-making-sifting-remains.jpg

jpet1980

Thanks. I’ll try it. I have stopped the last month and it hasn’t went away. But I’ll try it again with that method.

OP
L

Logan-

pmr

2.0 out of 5 stars
I can't use this product

February 5, 2018
Size: 1 BottleVerified Purchase
I read all about egg calcium before I bought the Swanson brand because they are well known and a good company. I took one pill. Next day, blood in stool. Thinking this was an odd occurrence I skipped a day, then took it again Same thing, blood in stool. Then I read that egg shell calcium can be hard on delicate digestive systems because they are composed as sharp little pieces. So I will not be able to use this product in the future. I wanted to write this so others are warned who might have this problem.
Oh, and I tried dissolving the contents of a pill in vinegar. It didn't dissolve well at all..Most stayed on top of the liquid and didn't get soft.

https://www.amazon.com/100%-Natural...s/dp/B001TEMHRA/?tag=d594b-20#customerReviews