Short-term Vitamin E Treatment Impairs Reactive Oxygen Species Signaling Required For Adipose Tissue

cyclops

What do you think this means practically for humans?

I've been trying to lose bodyfat and have been taking Vitamin E thinking it would help a great deal with burning stored PUFA. Not sure if this study applies.

Peater

Could it be excess vitamin E causing vitamin K depletion? Rather than the E itself being the problem.

Sitaruîm

The mice given vit E were given 300mg of vitamin E per week, isn't this a massive dose for mice? Does anyone know what the Human Equivalent Dose is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231013-074907.png
    Screenshot_20231013-074907.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 5

cs3000

The mice given vit E were given 300mg of vitamin E per week, isn't this a massive dose for mice? Does anyone know what the Human Equivalent Dose is?
Like 60 grams lol. i think normal supplements are dosed too high for typical generalised intake. but idk why they even bother with these megadose studies

Clyde

This was Haidut's comment on the dosing from another thread on this study.
That is actually an absolutely massive amount of vitamin E, which makes the whole study quite questionable. Sounds like one of those studies designed on purpose to make a nutrient look bad.
Anyways, 150mg twice a week means 300mg weekly per mouse. A 4-week old mouse (as used in the study) weighs about 20g (often less but lets assume 20g for easy calculations). That means each mouse received 300mg * 50 = 15,000 mg/kg weekly, or in other words 2100 mg/kg daily. Let me repeat - each mouse received about 2g/kg b.w. vitamin E daily! Converting into human equivalent dose (HED) using accepted conversion formulas gives a HED of about 150mg/kg daily for a human. In other words a daily human dose of 10g-15g!!! I have no idea what exactly these scientists are smoking or what they think this study demonstrates but to me it actually demonstrates the remarkable safety of vitamin E because even in such insane daily doses it only led to a slight fattening of the liver.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals