Short grain white rice should be the "safest starch"

frustrated

Not potatoes.

The starch in short grain white rice is 100% Amylopectin. Amylopectin is much easier to digest than Amylose, the other component of starches, which is significantly more resistant to digestion.

Discuss...

pboy

I agree, it is easier to digest. There are also 0 fructans in rice. The difference though is that potatoes are way more nutritious and only slightly more fibrous / resistant if eaten fresh.

jyb

But does that hold for well cooked short grain rice vs. well cooked potato?

cliff

I dunno if it's my cooking method or what but generally I tolerate potatoes and corn tortillas better than rice.

Wilfrid

No pb with potatoes for me too.
For rice, only uncle Ben's parboiled rice is ok for me.

Kelly

I tolerate most of the more Peaty starches well. I usually use short grain rice, I rinse it several times before I cook it. Potatoes are my main starch though, they're way more satisfying and nutritious.

gretchen

I like white rice better than potatoes also; not sure about how well I tolerate either though.

4peatssake

cliff said:
I dunno if it's my cooking method or what but generally I tolerate potatoes and corn tortillas better than rice.

me 2. I much prefer potatoes over rice. I don't experience rice as healthy nor nearly as satisfying.

My daughter really likes and tolerates white rice though.

I've read that American rice is often contaminated with arsenic while imported rice often contains high levels of lead. I'm not sure why, but perhaps rice absorb toxic metals from contaminated soil.

caroline

This is also what is stopping me from using the rice, instead of say, potato or as an alternative to potato.

Stilgar

stressucks said:
What kind of potatoes, any?

Any, but Yukon Gold, and some great ones I can get in the UK like Pink Fir, Kerrs Pinks, Ayshire Maris Piper.... ;)
Basically any high quality, good textured, pref organic, potato.

Mittir

harnessedinslums said:
I've read that American rice is often contaminated with arsenic while imported rice often contains high levels of lead. I'm not sure why, but perhaps rice absorb toxic metals from contaminated soil.
I have read that imported rice are contaminated with arsenic and lead.
Rice grown in USA has GMO issue.

mt_dreams

The only rice with possible arsenic issues in the US is rice that comes from the south. This is a byproduct of either cotton or tobacco (I can't remember) planting from the previous centuries which is still present in the soil. Rice grown in California has no such issue, as arsenic is not present in the soil.

Secondly, white rice does not contain the minerals & metals that whole rice does due to the fact that most of this is contained in the bran. There still may be some present in white rice, but it's minimal.

Regarding GMO's, there's no issue with rice at this present moment. Though this will quickly change if & when 'golden rice' is planted everywhere much like what happened with wheat,canola,corn,cotton,etc.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Golden rice. Great. :?

freal

I dont know, but I really react bad to rice unlike any food. I cant find why, any sort of rice does that, even rice milk. Does anybody else react really badly to rice. Its not because of starch, that I am sure.

Why would it be the "safest starch",it may be 100% amylopectin but its still a grain and has the storage protein in it. I think I read somewhere like 10% of japanese are allergic to rice.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir said:
Charlie said:
Golden rice. Great. :?

It is not just golden in color, this color comes from beta carotene.
Probably even glows in the dark. :P

All kidding aside. Our food supply is in serious trouble. :(