Shinrin-yoku (forest-air bathing and walking) effectively decreases blood glucose levels in diabetic patients

AlphaCog

Abstract

The influence of "shinrin-yoku" (forest-air bathing and walking) on blood glucose levels in diabetic patients was examined. Eighty-seven (29 male and 58 female) non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients [61 (SEM 1) years old] participated in the present study. Shinrin-yoku was performed nine times over a period of 6 years. The patients were divided into two parties. They then walked in the forest for 3 km or 6 km according to their physical ability and/or the existence of diabetic complications. The mean blood glucose level after forest walking changed from 179 (SEM 4) mg.100 ml-1 to 108 (SEM 2) mg.100 ml-1 (P < 0.0001). The level of glycated haemoglobin A1c also decreased from 6.9 (SEM 0.2)% (before the first shinrin-yoku) to 6.5 (SEM 0.1)% (after the last shinrin-yoku; P < 0.05). Blood glucose values declined by 74 (SEM 9) mg.100 ml-1 and 70 (SEM 4) mg.100 ml-1 after short- and long-distance walking respectively. There was no significant difference between these values. Since the forest environment causes changes in hormonal secretion and autonomic nervous functions, it is presumed that, in addition to the increased calorie consumption and improved insulin sensitivity, walking in a forest environment has other beneficial effects in decreasing blood glucose levels.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

LLight

I wonder if using forest essential oils could have a similar effect.

I have one (that I was offered in a montain ski station) but it doesn't really smell exactly like the smell in a forest.

Inaut

@LLight Terpenes from the trees are definitely a part of it. Being surrounded by organic life is another. Third benefit would come from exercise/movement I’d say

Thanks for posting this ??

J.R.K

Abstract

The influence of "shinrin-yoku" (forest-air bathing and walking) on blood glucose levels in diabetic patients was examined. Eighty-seven (29 male and 58 female) non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients [61 (SEM 1) years old] participated in the present study. Shinrin-yoku was performed nine times over a period of 6 years. The patients were divided into two parties. They then walked in the forest for 3 km or 6 km according to their physical ability and/or the existence of diabetic complications. The mean blood glucose level after forest walking changed from 179 (SEM 4) mg.100 ml-1 to 108 (SEM 2) mg.100 ml-1 (P < 0.0001). The level of glycated haemoglobin A1c also decreased from 6.9 (SEM 0.2)% (before the first shinrin-yoku) to 6.5 (SEM 0.1)% (after the last shinrin-yoku; P < 0.05). Blood glucose values declined by 74 (SEM 9) mg.100 ml-1 and 70 (SEM 4) mg.100 ml-1 after short- and long-distance walking respectively. There was no significant difference between these values. Since the forest environment causes changes in hormonal secretion and autonomic nervous functions, it is presumed that, in addition to the increased calorie consumption and improved insulin sensitivity, walking in a forest environment has other beneficial effects in decreasing blood glucose levels.

I have heard of air bathing, this was something Ben Franklin was an advocate of apparently hanging everything out was beneficial for health in his opinion.
That being said I could certainly see spending time in nature to be very relaxing and just getting away to a more natural setting and everything/everyone to be therapeutic to release stress and reestablish a more androgenic or anti stress hormone balance, supporting the stress put upon us by our environment.

laleto12

walking in nature/forest is by far one of the best things i've incorporated in my life to improve my physical and mental health

JamesGatz

Thiis is one of the reasons I believe living in the Wilderness offers countless benefits - you're immersed in an ideal metabolic environment with other living organisms and far away from all sorts of stressors, you can also walk around naked without the concern of others watching

The only downside is possibly being farther away from others to socialize with but I'm sure theres a way around this if one is serious about it

David PS

I read this today.The color green is also an important component of forest bathing.

JamesGatz

Being outside is CRUCIAL for metabolism - EVERYONE should spend more time outside than inside

These office jobs WILL KILL YOU no doubt about it

19033ECA-0111-40B8-8CF2-6E5F170D4C54.jpeg

David PS

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I love walking in the forest. Moving to an area where I could do this on a regular basis is one of the best things I ever did for my health tbh.
1367BAC0-8388-4658-9553-25E4AC326690.jpeg
0BBB4BE1-1A55-433C-9D74-60499C7D8267.jpeg
0841AD32-8A30-496F-A487-9706EDA68FFF.jpeg
1FD07934-EDF3-48EA-8C44-C5BD420BE55C.jpeg
06353174-8C0C-49E0-B9FD-B39253002E06.jpeg
EB5520CB-457A-4583-9B89-66B0F2ECDE3E.jpeg
4B93252B-CECE-4D3C-A1BB-A09276292E6F.jpeg

Nick

It's possible a big part of this is just getting away from EMF sources. Even if the people are still carrying cell phones in their pocket the other signals would be less. The pocket cell phone is of course the biggest EMF exposure by amplitude but the other sources still add to the cacophony, since signal intensity is not necessarily the biggest factor in biological damage.

Lejeboca

Cross-listing with posts on shinrin-yoku and immunity from another thread: Nature Experiences Reduce Stress In Daily Life

A primary author of the papers discussed there, Qing Li, has a newer paper "collecting" all the shinrin-yoku benefits (with citation to the OP paper as well) under a 'Forest Medicine' umbrella: Effects of forest environment (Shinrin-yoku/Forest bathing) on health promotion and disease prevention —the Establishment of “Forest Medicine”—

From the abstract (take your pick ;)) :

It has been reported that Forest bathing/Shinrin-yoku has the following beneficial effects on human health
  • 1 Shinrin-yoku increases human natural killer (NK) activity, the number of NK cells, and the intracellular levels of anti-cancer proteins, suggesting a preventive effect on cancers.
  • 2 Shinrin-yoku reduces blood pressure and heart rate showing preventive effect on hypertension and heart diseases.
  • 3 Shinrin-yoku reduces stress hormones, such as urinary adrenaline and noradrenaline and salivary/serum cortisol contributing to stress management.
  • 4 Shinrin-yoku increases the activity of parasympathetic nerves and reduces the activity of sympathetic nerves to stabilize the balance of autonomic nervous system.
  • 5 Shinrin-yoku improve sleep.
  • 6 Shinrin-yoku increases the levels of serum adiponectin and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate.
  • 7 In the Profile of Mood States (POMS) test, Shinrin-yoku reduces the scores for anxiety, depression, anger, fatigue, and confusion, and increases the score for vigor, showing preventive effects on depression.
  • 8 Shinrin-yoku may apply to rehabilitation medicine.
  • 9 Shinrin-yoku in city parks also has benefits on human health.
  • 10 Shinrin-yoku may have preventive effect on COVID-19 by boosting immune function and by reducing mental stress.

Lejeboca

I love walking in the forest. Moving to an area where I could do this on a regular basis is one of the best things I ever did for my health tbh.
Nice scenery, Blossom :eyes:

Empirically confirming now the effects as below but on middle-aged normal BP women in a seated position:
  • Parasympathetic nervous activity was significantly higher during viewing forest.
  • Heart rate was significantly lower during viewing forest.
  • Forest landscape produces physiological relaxation effects on hypertensive men.
Their list is taken from the Highlights of Effects of viewing forest landscape on middle-aged hypertensive men

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Lejeboca, great information! Thank you.
That move was definitely a huge win even though I really didn’t anticipate the impact it would have at the time. It was only in hindsight after living here for many months and when my health started making a very noticeable turn around that I started to realize the importance of being surrounded by nature (and lots of trees!). There are parts of my walks that are in open fields which I like as well but the areas of the path in the woods feel quite different. Peat was so right about following our inner guidance system.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals