Sherbert! (Milk & Orange Juice) Who knew?

Primal2Peat

So, I had my farmer give me my raw milk skimmed. It tasted terrible. I didn't want to waste it, so I added my orange juice to it to make it tolerable. It worked. It reminded me of orange sherbert that I had when I was a kid. Then I searched online. Sherbert is actually just orange juice, milk, and sugar. Some people add things like vanilla extract, lemon juice or pineapple juice. You could play around with different recipes, but the foundation is just oj, milk, and sugar. (Obviously most of us wouldn't put vanilla extract, or pineapple juice in there.)

Here are some recipes to see, and manipulate for yourself:

http://foodloveswriting.com/2009/07/20/ ... o-go-back/

Orange Sherbet
Adapted from Alton Brown

Ingredients:
7 ounces sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups orange juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups very cold whole milk (I substituted 3/4 cup skim milk + 3/4 cup heavy cream)

Directions:
In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the milk, and process until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 1 minute. Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl, and whisk in the milk. Cover the bowl, and place in the refrigerator until the mixture reaches 40 degrees F or below, approximately 1 hour.

Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process until it is the consistency of soft serve ice cream*. You may serve now or transfer to a lidded container and place in freezer until firm, approximately 3 hours.

*If you don’t have an ice cream maker, place the bowl in the freezer for about 30 minutes, remove and whisk thoroughly; repeat until it’s the texture you’d like.

Another one:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/gran ... lk-sherbet

You guys get the idea.

I can't wait to try this when I get my whole fat milk back next week. I was just experimenting with skim milk, but I'm done with that. I will probably play around with this a lot in the near future, using honey, gelatin, etc.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wow you are right. Who knew?

I love me some orange sherbert! Thank you for posting this P2P!

4peatssake

Primal2Peat said:
So, I had my farmer give me my raw milk skimmed. It tasted terrible. I didn't want to waste it, so I added my orange juice to it to make it tolerable. It worked. It reminded me of orange sherbert that I had when I was a kid. Then I searched online. Sherbert is actually just orange juice, milk, and sugar. Some people add things like vanilla extract, lemon juice or pineapple juice. You could play around with different recipes, but the foundation is just oj, milk, and sugar. (Obviously most of us wouldn't put vanilla extract, or pineapple juice in there.)

Here are some recipes to see, and manipulate for yourself:

http://foodloveswriting.com/2009/07/20/ ... o-go-back/

Orange Sherbet
Adapted from Alton Brown

Ingredients:
7 ounces sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups orange juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups very cold whole milk (I substituted 3/4 cup skim milk + 3/4 cup heavy cream)

Directions:
In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the milk, and process until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 1 minute. Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl, and whisk in the milk. Cover the bowl, and place in the refrigerator until the mixture reaches 40 degrees F or below, approximately 1 hour.

Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process until it is the consistency of soft serve ice cream*. You may serve now or transfer to a lidded container and place in freezer until firm, approximately 3 hours.

*If you don’t have an ice cream maker, place the bowl in the freezer for about 30 minutes, remove and whisk thoroughly; repeat until it’s the texture you’d like.

Another one:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/gran ... lk-sherbet

You guys get the idea.

I can't wait to try this when I get my whole fat milk back next week. I was just experimenting with skim milk, but I'm done with that. I will probably play around with this a lot in the near future, using honey, gelatin, etc.

Isn't it great!

2 c OJ, 1 c milk is my breakfast every morning. Orange sherbert in a mug! :lol:

Sometimes I get fancy and add a few tsp of sugar and put it in my blender to make it frothy!

For a treat at night you can also add some vanilla haagen dazs ice cream to make a milkshake. Very yummy too!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oy vey. I am gonna be so fat. :rolling

4peatssake

Jenn said:
Actually, you would probably loose weight just eating orange sherbet, because of the high potassium. ;)

Jenn, your recipe looks yummy and thanks for the great tip on the cream of tartar! I had no idea it was so potassium rich. An easy add in to many things I would think.

I'm enjoying your website very much BTW. Great recipes and helpful advice. Thanks!

Jenn

Thanks! I am glad you found it helpful. I started it because I didn't really know how to cook and you can't buy truly healthy food, you have to make it yourself. I also have a poor memory still and can't remember my own recipes...I have to look them up.

Beebop

Jenn said:
Actually, you would probably loose weight just eating orange sherbet, because of the high potassium.

How does potassium keep weight off? (Maybe I have missed it in a Peat article?)

Jenn

The body stores toxins as fat. Anything the body can't utilize properly or get rid of quickly is a toxin...that can include "good" food that isn't digested well. Potassium is one of the most used minerals by the liver for it's work, magnesium is important too. Sufficient potassium helps the liver detox successfully and therefore get rid of excess fat.

Speaking from experience. Sufficient Potassium is why you can loose weight eating just potatoes....but not other starch containing foods.

gretchen

I ate sherbet as a kid in the 70s, I always liked the taste. I think lime would make a nice flavor. If you come up with a recipe, be sure to add it to the thread.