Shedding On Thyroid?

Orangeyouglad

I’ve tried a few different forms of Thyroid - Tyromix, T3, Cynomel and I always seem to start shedding. This last time was the worst it’s been.

I know shedding can increase on Thyroid, but is this a good or bad sign? I’ve seen that going hyperthyroid will cause shedding, but heard Ray say that hyperthyroid people don’t lose hair.

Thoughts? Just temporary? Think I need Cortisol (cortisol levels are super low)? Etc.

mrchibbs

1) Taking a thyroid supplement doesn't mean you've fixed your thyroid problem. What are your temps/pulse now?
2) Increase thyroid function with a supplement increases nutritional requirements. Failure to meet those increased requirements depletes liver glycogen and makes the symptoms of stress/hypoglycemia worse. (including hair loss)

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

1) Taking a thyroid supplement doesn't mean you've fixed your thyroid problem. What are your temps/pulse now?
2) Increase thyroid function with a supplement increases nutritional requirements. Failure to meet those increased requirements depletes liver glycogen and makes the symptoms of stress/hypoglycemia worse. (including hair loss)

Well aware of both of these, and I appreciate the input. As stated, I started shedding AFTER taking thyroid. This is a reaction cause by thyroid, not an issue I was dealing with, and then still dealing with. Pulse and temp both are up, but I haven’t tested in a while and will check again tomorrow. This leaves us with only the depleted glycogen - which could be a possibility, but I’ve increase my intake because of this / I’ve been hungry. I’m shedding tons though - an amount that would alarm anyone. I’m not sure if this kind of reaction could be caused simply by not eating a little more than the normal large amount that I eat. Who knows though.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

Question - in general, what do you think causes the shedding some people complain of when they start taking thyroid?

mrchibbs

Question - in general, what do you think causes the shedding some people complain of when they start taking thyroid?

I think the thyroid is down regulated because of accumulated stress, and people try to ramp up their dosage too quickly and they don't adjust their nutrition accordingly, which creates more hypoglycaemia and stress instead of helping matters. Stress is hypoglycaemia when you think about it, and shedding hair is a hallmark of that dynamic.

When thyroid is low, the body is trying to conserve resources. Some kids are hypothyroid from birth and when they start accumulating PUFAs and experience declining protective steroids from the age of 20 onwards or earlier, the hormones are no longer able to compensate for the hypothyroidism, and therefore the stress substances cortisol, aldosterone, serotonin, prolactin start being chronically elevated, leading to the hair loss. (The stress hormones stop the hair cycle abruptly, leading to quick shedding)

Thyroid supplementation, done in the Broda Barnes, very progressive way, can stop this cycle, but it can also perpetuate it if done improperly. T3 tells your cells to rev up energy use, and you can very quickly empty your reserves. So improper thyroid supplementation can be nothing but an additional stress on the physiology.

Danny Roddy often repeats the importance of highly nutritious foods like liver and oysters when taking thyroid. And I can't fault him, it's essential to either eat the most nutritious foods or loads of food to get an excess of nutrients when taking thyroid, and I think many people don't.

If you combine caffeine, aspirin and thyroid, that's like using NOS on a car without any fuel, you should realistically be eating a LOT of food. Lots of food + high metabolism is very healing.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

I think the thyroid is down regulated because of accumulated stress, and people try to ramp up their dosage too quickly and they don't adjust their nutrition accordingly, which creates more hypoglycaemia and stress instead of helping matters. Stress is hypoglycaemia when you think about it, and shedding hair is a hallmark of that dynamic.

When thyroid is low, the body is trying to conserve resources. Some kids are hypothyroid from birth and when they start accumulating PUFAs and experience declining protective steroids from the age of 20 onwards or earlier, the hormones are no longer able to compensate for the hypothyroidism, and therefore the stress substances cortisol, aldosterone, serotonin, prolactin start being chronically elevated, leading to the hair loss. (The stress hormones stop the hair cycle abruptly, leading to quick shedding)

Thyroid supplementation, done in the Broda Barnes, very progressive way, can stop this cycle, but it can also perpetuate it if done improperly. T3 tells your cells to rev up energy use, and you can very quickly empty your reserves. So improper thyroid supplementation can be nothing but an additional stress on the physiology.

Danny Roddy often repeats the importance of highly nutritious foods like liver and oysters when taking thyroid. And I can't fault him, it's essential to either eat the most nutritious foods or loads of food to get an excess of nutrients when taking thyroid, and I think many people don't.

If you combine caffeine, aspirin and thyroid, that's like using NOS on a car without any fuel, you should realistically be eating a LOT of food. Lots of food + high metabolism is very healing.

Makes a lot of sense. I think it would be helpful to know the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia... Can you describe how one could tell easily? Would it be helpful to eat more small meals throughout the day too to prevent this?

mrchibbs

Makes a lot of sense. I think it would be helpful to know the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia... Can you describe how one could tell easily? Would it be helpful to eat more small meals throughout the day too to prevent this?

Sudden fatigue, loss of energy, cold hands, feet, nose, irritability, difficulty concentrating etc.

And yeah, small frequent meals are great to prevent this, especially when they combine a little fat, protein and sugars (carbs) together. For example, cheese and fruits, coffee & cream, eggs cooked in butter and coconut oil with a glass of juice, coke and smoked oysters etc.

Having a little protein and fat with the sugar/carbs helps to sustain and slow down the absorption and keep a steadier blood sugar.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

Sudden fatigue, loss of energy, cold hands, feet, nose, irritability, difficulty concentrating etc.

And yeah, small frequent meals are great to prevent this, especially when they combine a little fat, protein and sugars (carbs) together. For example, cheese and fruits, coffee & cream, eggs cooked in butter and coconut oil with a glass of juice, coke and smoked oysters etc.

Having a little protein and fat with the sugar/carbs helps to sustain and slow down the absorption and keep a steadier blood sugar.

I think I go slightly hypoglycemic fairly easily. I'll try adding in a few smaller meals. Thanks @mrchibbs

mrchibbs

I think I go slightly hypoglycemic fairly easily. I'll try adding in a few smaller meals. Thanks @mrchibbs

No problem, I had that same problem for about a year after being really sick. I would go hypoglycaemic every 30 minutes, whereas 2 years prior when I was healthy I could not eat for 20+ hours and never experience cold hands/feet/hunger etc.

chompie

Did you ever find out the cause of your diffuse loss? I'm struggling with the same thing. No matter the type of thyroid, I get diffused loss of hair. Shedding like mad

redsun

Did you ever find out the cause of your diffuse loss? I'm struggling with the same thing. No matter the type of thyroid, I get diffused loss of hair. Shedding like mad

Diffuse loss from thyroid is common. Its the increase in cortisol triggering diffuse hair loss. The only way its going to stop is if you stop the thyroid.

In those with slow thyroids, taking thyroid improves overall health assuming nutrient intake is in order. They also tend to have low cortisol and they get benefit from more thyroid which also normalizes low cortisol.

In those with normal or faster thyroids or with higher basal cortisol levels that can be caused by other things, taking more thyroid seems to just elevate cortisol even more. I get the same thing I can never touch thyroid hormone no matter what without getting diffuse loss.

chompie

Diffuse loss from thyroid is common. Its the increase in cortisol triggering diffuse hair loss. The only way its going to stop is if you stop the thyroid.

In those with slow thyroids, taking thyroid improves overall health assuming nutrient intake is in order. They also tend to have low cortisol and they get benefit from more thyroid which also normalizes low cortisol.

In those with normal or faster thyroids or with higher basal cortisol levels that can be caused by other things, taking more thyroid seems to just elevate cortisol even more. I get the same thing I can never touch thyroid hormone no matter what without getting diffuse loss.
Uhh frustrating. Do you feel good while on thyroid? Do your temps and pulse go up?

The strange thing is I feel good on it. It has helped me regain my ability to exercise and play with my kids. I had a.m. cortisol pulled before starting thyroid and it was on the low end of normal.

Anyway, I'm on 4 grains of NDT and my temps and pulse are still a little low. Just had blood work and t4 is at the very lowest end of the range and t3 is middle of the range. Ferritin is 93. Vitamin A, zinc, copper are all normal.

redsun

Uhh frustrating. Do you feel good while on thyroid? Do your temps and pulse go up?

The strange thing is I feel good on it. It has helped me regain my ability to exercise and play with my kids. I had a.m. cortisol pulled before starting thyroid and it was on the low end of normal.

Anyway, I'm on 4 grains of NDT and my temps and pulse are still a little low. Just had blood work and t4 is at the very lowest end of the range and t3 is middle of the range. Ferritin is 93. Vitamin A, zinc, copper are all normal.

Could be the amount of NDT is too high and now cortisol from being low end of normal is too high.

Of course you would feel good with thyroid but if your hair is shedding badly than that is a sign something is failing.

TheCalciumCad

If things are going well with thyroid + nutrition have you tried adding DHEA/Progesterone? A v small amount of Cortinon (DHEA/Progesterone) topically AM+PM most days could normalise the cortisol curve if thats what it is.

chompie

If things are going well with thyroid + nutrition have you tried adding DHEA/Progesterone? A v small amount of Cortinon (DHEA/Progesterone) topically AM+PM most days could normalise the cortisol curve if thats what it is.
Thank you. Yes, I do take 5mg dhea with about 20-30 of progesterone daily. Was doing prior to thyroid as well.

chompie

Other strange thing is thyroid immediately makes me shed diffusely. Even a tiny amount right after confirming low end of cortisol. The more thyroid the more the shedding but the better I feel.

I know something is off and failing. Desperately wanting to find what that something is

TheCalciumCad

Other strange thing is thyroid immediately makes me shed diffusely. Even a tiny amount right after confirming low end of cortisol. The more thyroid the more the shedding but the better I feel.

I know something is off and failing. Desperately wanting to find what that something is
I would speak to Danny Roddy at this point if everything but hair is improving, he will likely of had alot of guys with similar feedback from thyroid.

carlz

I’m a woman, but I’ve been noticing more shed recently as we move into winter. Going to try upping my vit D

iso1

T3/T4 will make you lose hair, it's a common side effect. And it's not guaranteed hair will grow back in the full density after stopping

K

Kayaker

Up your minerals with liver and shellfish and see if if helps.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals