Share Your Cronometer

Vileplume

Have you tried lots of walking? There seems to be something magical about high-volume, low-stress movement.

“While jogging became popular for preventing heart disease, we were frequently told by experts how many miles a person has to run to burn off a pound of fat. However, in Russia, physiologists always remember to include the brain in their calculations, and it turns out that a walk through interesting and pleasant surroundings consumes more energy than does harder but more boring exercise. An active brain consumes a tremendous amount of fuel.” - Ray Peat

Also, this is interesting: This Is What Happens to Your Body on a Thru-Hike | Outside Online
That article is fascinating and inspiring. I used to love going on walks everyday, but lately I've kinda lost interest in it. I've actually lost interest in most things -- I've slipped into a depression. Instead, I waste a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to eat next, what supplement to take, and when. I know this mode of thinking contributes to the problem, but I'm struggling to snap out of it. Some days though, my energy clicks and I go out for walks, listen to music, and love it. Maybe just pushing through on those off-days

is there anything you crave at all or do you go to bed completely satiated ?
I'm rarely satiated, but not because I'm not full. It's more because I always have this weird feeling in my gut, like there's a rock or something in there, and I get nauseous rather than satiated. I constantly feel nauseous, and I never crave the foods I eat. I actually never really feel hungry at all, I just eat because I think I should, and I always eat for "theoretical nutrition," just like Dr. Peat said not to do. I try to eat the right Peat foods because I want so badly to heal and feel good, but I cannot for the life of me nail down a solid food list that doesn't cause problems. Thus far, I think high liquid has had the most detrimental affects on my metabolism.

If I could eat whatever I wanted it would be hot chocolate, ice cream, burritos, carne asada fries, grilled cheese sandwiches. And that's about it haha. I'm struggling to find a happy medium because I do think starches mess up my blood sugar and mess up my digestion, but then when I take out starch, my diet becomes less satisfying to me. Any suggestions for balancing satiation, enjoying our diets, but meanwhile considering Peat's basic principals? To balance out all three of these, some of Peat's basic principals must take a back seat to others.

And to undergird this all, back when I was eating the SAD, I probably felt better than I do now, but I was still very depressed and stressed and non-assertive, couldn't build muscle. These things are all still true.

i find lots of salt raises my temps better than anything other than eating enough. I salt foods like crazy.

What are your favorite foods to salt?

That article is fascinating and inspiring. I used to love going on walks everyday, but lately I've kinda lost interest in it. I've actually lost interest in most things -- I've slipped into a depression. Instead, I waste a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to eat next, what supplement to take, and when. I know this mode of thinking contributes to the problem, but I'm struggling to snap out of it. Some days though, my energy clicks and I go out for walks, listen to music, and love it. Maybe just pushing through on those off-days

I'm rarely satiated, but not because I'm not full. It's more because I always have this weird feeling in my gut, like there's a rock or something in there, and I get nauseous rather than satiated. I constantly feel nauseous, and I never crave the foods I eat. I actually never really feel hungry at all, I just eat because I think I should, and I always eat for "theoretical nutrition," just like Dr. Peat said not to do. I try to eat the right Peat foods because I want so badly to heal and feel good, but I cannot for the life of me nail down a solid food list that doesn't cause problems. Thus far, I think high liquid has had the most detrimental affects on my metabolism.

If I could eat whatever I wanted it would be hot chocolate, ice cream, burritos, carne asada fries, grilled cheese sandwiches. And that's about it haha. I'm struggling to find a happy medium because I do think starches mess up my blood sugar and mess up my digestion, but then when I take out starch, my diet becomes less satisfying to me. Any suggestions for balancing satiation, enjoying our diets, but meanwhile considering Peat's basic principals? To balance out all three of these, some of Peat's basic principals must take a back seat to others.

And to undergird this all, back when I was eating the SAD, I probably felt better than I do now, but I was still very depressed and stressed and non-assertive, couldn't build muscle. These things are all still true.

Milk and eggs

GelatinGoblin

Thus far, I think high liquid has had the most detrimental affects on my metabolism.
A bit of water + sea salt (salted water...) can offset it
Just more Sodium, although be sure to get some more Potassium through ripe fruit, OJ, well-boiled Swiss Chard / Kale.
Some well-boiled (20 mins) Swiss Chard with some Jasmine Rice (most digestible Polysaccharide on earth), steak and some (Oxtail) Gelatin Soup with salt... Damn.

Just more Sodium, although be sure to get some more Potassium through ripe fruit, OJ, well-boiled Swiss Chard / Kale.
Some well-boiled (20 mins) Swiss Chard with some Jasmine Rice (most digestible Polysaccharide on earth), steak and some (Oxtail) Gelatin Soup with salt... Damn.
yes more salt handles excess liquids quite nicely and in my experience cuts down on starch cravings for some reason.

why do you think you are depressed?

GelatinGoblin

Any suggestions for balancing satiation, enjoying our diets, but meanwhile considering Peat's basic principals?
Find cake made with real butter, sugar, eggs, no PUFA etc... Borderline okay would be Olive okay maybe for the frosting

GelatinGoblin

Find cake made with real butter, sugar, eggs, no PUFA etc... Borderline okay would be Olive okay maybe for the frosting
Wow almost forgot, something with Coco Butter, highest Stearic Acid fat. Someday I'd make a cake made with it. The dream

Vileplume

Thanks for these suggestions. I even made salt tablets to take throughout the day, each with 1/4 tsp of salt, to ensure I was getting enough salt. I drink a lot of OJ but recently developed this gross grey tongue, along with nausea, which I think comes from too many fluids. When I start drinking too many fluids, I stop having satisfying poops, although OJ doesn't make me bloated. I'm not 100% sure that the grey tongue comes from the fluids though, but I can't figure out the cause. Those suggestions sound bomb --I'll try Swiss Chard, but Jasmine Rice gives me endotoxin symptoms and Oxtail seems to cause a histamine reaction. I'd like to come back to both of those foods though in time, perhaps I'll try revisiting them.

why do you think you are depressed?
I mainly think I am because I don't enjoy anything most of the time. Talking to people at work, talking to friends, talking to girls, listening to music, going on walks. These are all things that i really do enjoy, but lately I have not enjoyed them. I pretty much only feel anxiety lately, I can't focus on anything either. In the recent past I've felt good for a few days at a time, but then something unknown will switch, my temperatures will drop, and I'll become anxious and low energy, anhedonic again.

The cause is harder to pin down, but I think the root of it is just poor metabolism. There's a clear connection between my mood and my temperature, and I simply struggler to increase my temperature. I've tried many different Peat things, and I fully believe in them, but there's some factor (multiple?) that I haven't addressed yet, which is preventing me from stabilizing at higher temperatures.

I think if I can stop my hot flashes and tachycardia, I will move in the right direction.

gaze

Thanks for these suggestions. I even made salt tablets to take throughout the day, each with 1/4 tsp of salt, to ensure I was getting enough salt. I drink a lot of OJ but recently developed this gross grey tongue, along with nausea, which I think comes from too many fluids. When I start drinking too many fluids, I stop having satisfying poops, although OJ doesn't make me bloated. I'm not 100% sure that the grey tongue comes from the fluids though, but I can't figure out the cause. Those suggestions sound bomb --I'll try Swiss Chard, but Jasmine Rice gives me endotoxin symptoms and Oxtail seems to cause a histamine reaction. I'd like to come back to both of those foods though in time, perhaps I'll try revisiting them.

I mainly think I am because I don't enjoy anything most of the time. Talking to people at work, talking to friends, talking to girls, listening to music, going on walks. These are all things that i really do enjoy, but lately I have not enjoyed them. I pretty much only feel anxiety lately, I can't focus on anything either. In the recent past I've felt good for a few days at a time, but then something unknown will switch, my temperatures will drop, and I'll become anxious and low energy, anhedonic again.

The cause is harder to pin down, but I think the root of it is just poor metabolism. There's a clear connection between my mood and my temperature, and I simply struggler to increase my temperature. I've tried many different Peat things, and I fully believe in them, but there's some factor (multiple?) that I haven't addressed yet, which is preventing me from stabilizing at higher temperatures.

I think if I can stop my hot flashes and tachycardia, I will move in the right direction.
i've been there before. all of it has to do with the ability to store glucose. not even necessarily having a fast metabolism, but just being able to store glucose and having stable blood sugar. one thing that helped me is to go back to balanced meals, centered around a starch, a protein, and a fat as a boring as it sounds. so rice, chicken, and some butter for example, and these meals 2 or 3 times a day with snacks in between. initially i would have some hypoglycemia, but i would just sip some apple juice or any ripe juice after, but slowly i could go longer between meals, i could start eating bigger meals without crashes, and felt more stable. i still eat dairy and juice, just not as the 2 main staples as i was when i couldn't keep my blood sugar stable. also following cravings, salting foods (starch and meat allow way more salt), helped. i didn't realize how little salt i was eating until i increased normal meals and saw i could add a lot of salt and it still tasting good. eventually too much and i reached the point that i didn't like the taste anymore, which i think was good. Once I could stabilize my blood sugar, I could start experimenting with different foods without any fear or worry of crashing. So experimenting with less/more starch, different fruits, etc. But I needed a very simple meal plan with low allergens to find a baseline initally

Vileplume

i've been there before. all of it has to do with the ability to store glucose. not even necessarily having a fast metabolism, but just being able to store glucose and having stable blood sugar. one thing that helped me is to go back to balanced meals, centered around a starch, a protein, and a fat as a boring as it sounds. so rice, chicken, and some butter for example, and these meals 2 or 3 times a day with snacks in between. initially i would have some hypoglycemia, but i would just sip some apple juice or any ripe juice after, but slowly i could go longer between meals, i could start eating bigger meals without crashes, and felt more stable. i still eat dairy and juice, just not as the 2 main staples as i was when i couldn't keep my blood sugar stable. also following cravings, salting foods (starch and meat allow way more salt), helped. i didn't realize how little salt i was eating until i increased normal meals and saw i could add a lot of salt and it still tasting good. eventually too much and i reached the point that i didn't like the taste anymore, which i think was good. Once I could stabilize my blood sugar, I could start experimenting with different foods without any fear or worry of crashing. So experimenting with less/more starch, different fruits, etc. But I needed a very simple meal plan with low allergens to find a baseline initally
This sounds like a diet shift I might need to try. My blood sugar is messed up, which causes my hot flashes I think. More solid foods seem beneficial, but when all those solid foods are fruit, the fiber and unripeness causes problems.

Are you saying that you had moreblood sugar issues when milk and OJ were the staples of your diet? Because that might be what has happened to me. Solid foods and salt, I think, will help. If I remember correctly from some of your other posts, did you once have trouble digesting starch and then build up the ability to digest it?

Cloudhands

Hey man do u eat enough liver?

Vileplume

Hey man do u eat enough liver?
Yo. I eat some liver, like probably 4 ounces a week, but when I felt really good in the past, I was eating liver more often. You think I would benefit from upping it?

Cloudhands

Yo. I eat some liver, like probably 4 ounces a week, but when I felt really good in the past, I was eating liver more often. You think I would benefit from upping it?
Not too long ago, i was very exhausted. I just wanted to lay down a lot. I was apathetic, i found myself being very annoyed by my girlfriend. I had cold, clammy fingers and toes, and the tip of my nose was cold. Im still recovering, but my emotions are fine now
Sleep still isnt perfect, i feel tired in the AM, but sleep is getting better and im not waking up to pee in middle of the night anymore. I recently got bloodwork done, and my ferritin was super f ucking low. So i cut waaaay down on milk, and started eating 4 oz of liver every other day. I eat beef 3 times a day, and eat mostly fruit like mangos and pineapple. Ill have OJ and milk only when i crave them. I salt my food heavily. I was also low on vitamin D despite being a ginger, and i was low in copper, Vitamin A, iron and zinc as well. So i upped my liver and my oysters. I eat 20 oz of ground beef a day, 6 oz of it is kidney, and every other day i replace 6 oz of it with 4 oz of liver. It tastes gross so i just cover it in barbecue sauce lol. Its weird because peat is so eloquent, and seems to be perfect in every respect mentally, but his stuff just doesnt work for me 100%. Maybe like 80%, but thats super helpful still.

gaze

This sounds like a diet shift I might need to try. My blood sugar is messed up, which causes my hot flashes I think. More solid foods seem beneficial, but when all those solid foods are fruit, the fiber and unripeness causes problems.

Are you saying that you had moreblood sugar issues when milk and OJ were the staples of your diet? Because that might be what has happened to me. Solid foods and salt, I think, will help. If I remember correctly from some of your other posts, did you once have trouble digesting starch and then build up the ability to digest it?
yea i was similar to you, hot flashes (mainly in bed at night), heart palipatoins, blood sugar ssues, endotoxin feelings, and starch messed up my digestion. I do think using milk and OJ as staples caused it, not cause they are bad foods, but because it was messsing up my cravings for food, salt, and thirst. I couldn't tell when I was hungry, when I was thirst, when I was dehydrated, when I wanted salt, etc. For example I would get hungry, but I didn't know what I craved, so I would drink OJ, but that wouldn't satiate anything, so I would drink milk, but then the fluids caused digestive problems, and so on. So I decided to go back to the basics, eat simple meals that I think taste good and are pretty "normal", and I could add a bunch of salt to them, and they slowly started to fix everything that was out of whack. I still wouldn't say that I have strong thyroid function. but I can store glucose and can go on 2 hour drives without worrying if my blood sugar will crash or not.

Cloudhands

yea i was similar to you, hot flashes (mainly in bed at night), heart palipatoins, blood sugar ssues, endotoxin feelings, and starch messed up my digestion. I do think using milk and OJ as staples caused it, not cause they are bad foods, but because it was messsing up my cravings for food, salt, and thirst. I couldn't tell when I was hungry, when I was thirst, when I was dehydrated, when I wanted salt, etc. For example I would get hungry, but I didn't know what I craved, so I would drink OJ, but that wouldn't satiate anything, so I would drink milk, but then the fluids caused digestive problems, and so on. So I decided to go back to the basics, eat simple meals that I think taste good and are pretty "normal", and I could add a bunch of salt to them, and they slowly started to fix everything that was out of whack. I still wouldn't say that I have strong thyroid function. but I can store glucose and can go on 2 hour drives without worrying if my blood sugar will crash or not.
Yeah i have more healing to do, but OJ and Milk just make me cold and go pee pee all day

GelatinGoblin

When I am too tense my digestion is always bad, make sure you are not too anxious not Hyperventilating...
Jasmine Rice gives me endotoxin symptoms
Are you sure you cooked it well?
First of all, Jasmine Rice is traditionally used for Sushi, the reason being is because it Gelatinizes and becomes sticky. First make sure the middle of a rice grain breaks and mashes easily upon contact. Then make sure it cooks a bit longer until it has Gelatin qualities, if you hit it with a spoon it should even bounce around like Gelatin. It should stick to your hand. Cook it even a bit longer after the water evaporates, sometimes it takes that much to cook. You'll get a feel to it, just be sure it is cooked well. 3 cm of water above rice should be enough, again may have to cook more in the pot after the water evaporates. If it has any left pour it out.
And this is important, eat Starch right after you cook it. Don't let it cool. In general eat foods hot. Gelatin soup has become a staple for me. 1 onion, 2 things of dill (intact), 1~ thing of parsley (intact), 1 whole carrot, some red or orange or yellow bell paper (ideally orange), Oxtail and a bit of some other Gelatinous meat (front/back calve muscle, some meat with the bone ; maybe something a bit above the calves and shins) (usually not the most tender), bay leaves and whole ungrounded black peppers. Add sea salt when you sit down per taste. Eat hot ; put in fridge after so not spoiled obviously, reheat in separate pot. After a night of it in fridge it should be like Jello... So solid you could walk on it ideally :) , if less then desired probably cooked too little or not enough Oxtail. Be sure the muscle falls of the bone when you're done cooking it.
Cook 8 hours, not less not more. The first hour at whatever temperature although not too hot. The latter ones enough so that you see a bubble every few seconds or a bit bit higher. The first hour skim the "scum" (denatured protein) off the top with a spoon or whatnot. Probably like 2.5~ ( I don't fully remember ) KG of meat and the rest bottled water (if possible) and the ingredients. I have like a 10 litter pot, don't exactly remember. I'm sorry, but it almost always makes me warm, pretty much never fails. With gelatin soup made from Turkey necks meh stopped half a year ago, sometimes made me colder then ice, all the Trytophan and PUFA, the Glycine can't offset it. From beef man, this is the real deal. Just awesome. I think I could eat this forever. This is the kind of thing your looking for OP. Again took me a bit to perfect it. I hope things are good OP. Jesus Christ is in your heart, if you really despair pray for Him. The Jesus Prayer is always good. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, forgive me, a sinner." In Church Slavonic: "Gospodi' i Yisusi Hriste, Sin'i Bozhe, pomiluj mya', greshnago."

View: https://youtu.be/C7-VLJxLEV4

View: https://youtu.be/nG5gEzymh5c
if God gave such voices to men, how do angles sound like? I discovered these in the past in my lowest lows, it makes me cry...
I am very tired now but I will say more later...

GelatinGoblin

I feel like you're too mechanical man. Go off by feel. The salt tablets Vs straight sea salt on water, the same foods... God knows how to deal with this Earth, I sure don't... Let go a bit. Be steady but loose.

GelatinGoblin

Talking to people at work, talking to friends, talking to girls, listening to music, going on walks. These are all things that i really do enjoy, but lately I have not enjoyed them.
Do not do things directly to feel pleasure. Always should come as a side products unintended... I know you probably didn't have pleasure in mind when doing these, but still important.

Vileplume

Not too long ago, i was very exhausted. I just wanted to lay down a lot. I was apathetic, i found myself being very annoyed by my girlfriend. I had cold, clammy fingers and toes, and the tip of my nose was cold. Im still recovering, but my emotions are fine now
Sleep still isnt perfect, i feel tired in the AM, but sleep is getting better and im not waking up to pee in middle of the night anymore. I recently got bloodwork done, and my ferritin was super f ucking low. So i cut waaaay down on milk, and started eating 4 oz of liver every other day. I eat beef 3 times a day, and eat mostly fruit like mangos and pineapple. Ill have OJ and milk only when i crave them. I salt my food heavily. I was also low on vitamin D despite being a ginger, and i was low in copper, Vitamin A, iron and zinc as well. So i upped my liver and my oysters. I eat 20 oz of ground beef a day, 6 oz of it is kidney, and every other day i replace 6 oz of it with 4 oz of liver. It tastes gross so i just cover it in barbecue sauce lol. Its weird because peat is so eloquent, and seems to be perfect in every respect mentally, but his stuff just doesnt work for me 100%. Maybe like 80%, but thats super helpful still.
And his stuff does seem to work maybe not 100%, but close to it, for many people here. I love listening to Peat, like you said, he's so ******* smart and patient and he's just awesome. But going full Peat didn't work for me so far. Perhaps our bodies just aren't ready for it yet, and it will work better for us later down the road. In the meantime, like you and @gaze both mention, I think more animal foods and salty solid will help. When I did that over summer, I felt much better. It's like when I drink a lot of liquids, my body just can't hang on to the nutrients -- I don't seem to absorb them at all.

What you describe is me for the past few months -- always wanting to lay down, frequently annoyed and startled, don't feel like talking to people, clammy, and I have B.O. too which is just a cherry on top haha. Gotta get to the bottom of this! I'm gonna up liver, oysters, animal foods. Thanks.

Wow, well it's great to hear from people who have experienced similar issues! Interestingly I never get hot flashes in bed, but usually as I eat something. But just like, intuitively I feel like I'm messing up my cravings for those things -- I have totally turned my back on my body's hunger signals, instead eating with my mind and not with my body. The cycle you describe --hunger, OJ, milk, digestive problems -- is my life right now. It's so helpful to hear from everyone in this thread, so thanks again. I'm going to go back to basics for a bit, like you describe, with solid foods, salt, and things that taste good. Still trying as much as possible to keep PUFA low, get decent amounts of calcium and sugar from fruit, but honor cravings too.

I feel like you're too mechanical man. Go off by feel. The salt tablets Vs straight sea salt on water, the same foods... God knows how to deal with this Earth, I sure don't... Let go a bit. Be steady but loose.
First of all, thank you so much for that explanation about jasmine rice! I didn;t know about the warm v cold thing, but this discussion has made me crave rice with butter and some meat. So I think I will go eat that, and I will give Jasmine Rice another shot, cooking it until it breaks and gets gelatinous, like you describe.

Second, you're totally right. I am too mechanical with my foods. I've become a Peat robot. I need to learn to balance Peat and my own intuition, so that I can enjoy my foods and my life again.

GelatinGoblin

Check out water from leafy greens (Kale, Swiss Chard, Spinach maybe)
View: https://youtu.be/hvPhDl0hwRM

View: https://youtu.be/MZCiGhQNXvg
there was a clip that explained it better.
Boil (in mineral/bottled water) 2 pounds of well washed leafy greens (the ones mentioned) for 20-25+~ with a pitch of baking soda. The water is rich in Magnesium, Calcium...
If you have trouble with getting Magnesium Buckwheat is good. Milk helps a bit, 100 ml has 16mg of Mg, that adds up... Fruits... Maybe Dark Chocolate, bit of dates (watch out they impair Sucrose, Starch digestion, not reliable food)... I have some more sources if interested. Just something that I wanted to add...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom