SFAs And PUFAs

dukez07

If you eat a high fat food which is high in saturated fat and low in PUFA (such as cheese), RP has said that your body will prefer to burn the SFAs straight away and the PUFA junk just gets stored. I can't remember which interview I heard this from, but, this is why, RP says, it is best to go low fat and just restrict PUFAs completely.

Ok. What about if I eat food that is super low in SFAs, but high in PUFAs? Won't the body then just burn the PUFA preferentially anyway? If this is the case, it sounds like saturated fat gets in the way of the ability of the body to burn this PUFA junk?

So would your body store more PUFA from a full 200g block of cheese (let's say which has about 2.5g of PUFA), or would it store more PUFA from 2.5g of sunflower oil (which comes with very, very little saturated fat)?

Suikerbuik

How do you know you will burn the 2,5 sunflower oil? If you eat plenty of carbs you will store the fats too.. and you need to get fat anyway.

I wouldn't worry about storage so much if the pufa comes from sources like cheese (unless cows are fed grains only). You will still burn pufas, I have yet to see a study that says saturated fats are oxidized instead of PUFAs. I think the bigger problems is when ratio is disbalanced accompanied by calories you can't burn.

Or that the mechanism is that the body loves to store PUFAs over saturated fats, without a difference in oxidation rate if both are present..? But I can be wrong, just a thought. The thing is if you start thinking about such things you can't eat anything..

pboy

its probably directly proportional to the caloric value it supplies compared to your whole diet...so if you fasted and ate nothing but pure PUFA, you'd probably burn most or all of it. If you ate 90% sugar and 10% PUFA, youd probably store 1/10 (10%) of the PUFA and burn the other 90%. So I guess in a way, the sat fat would partially slow the oxidation of PUFA that you may have eaten, so if you were trying to avoid them entirely it would probably be best to only eat no fat at all. However, this is impractical while still trying to get enough nutrients and calories. And in times of glycogen depletion, high energy demand states, and after so many hours of sleeping, the body will release whatever fat it has stored in a relatively random ratio, so you'd burn some PUFA's by default, however much % they were of your overall fat profile. I suppose this is why Peat said that even on a completely PUFA restriced diet it still takes animals average 4 years to turn over their fat profile nearly completely. It wasn't our fault PUFA were in every (still are) food we ate growing up...so I'm sure unintentionally a lot of people probably have more than the ideal amount. Don't sweat it, the small amount of PUFA you release during sleep or randomly during other times will not really be noticeable as long as you aren't adding to it by eating high PUFA foods during the day. Start doing whats ideal and forget about what you might have and over time, at the appropriate pace, the fat profile will near optimum. Its generally figured that mostly PUFA free fats like dairy cocoa butter and coconut are low enough not to interfere with this fat optimization process, though day by day technically you'd never quite be perfect, but at the same time without them you might run calorie deficient and in turn face other challenges that probably outweigh the PUFA in these few oils

I think the cheese would still be better than pure PUFA because the mechanisms where things go wrong "see" less PUFA, which is also how omega-3 exert their "benefits".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals