Sexual Preferences May Be Modifiable By Enviromnent & Drugs

haidut

Forum Supporter
There was a study several years showing that mice given pCPA lose preference for females and would mate with both males and females. The mainstream explanation is that the drug made mice gay. I think the more likely explanation in that case was that the increased libido made mice not care about who they are mating with.
This more recent study shows similar results, by using a combination of a dopaminergic drug and oxytocin. It also forced the male mice to cohabitate. So, maybe the brain really is that plastic - environment and some slight modification of neurotransmitters is all it takes to change a core feature like sexual preferences.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2815000236

artemis

The males were forced to cohabitate, AND the male mice wore almond-scented cologne on their backs! :lol:

Zachs

Do you think that there were always the same amount of gay and lesbian people's throughout history and no its just more socially acceptable to be open about it or do you think that there is some sort of change happening to make more people be born with the same sex preferences?

I think it's probably a little of both. Certainly there have been instances in recorded history that showed people with all sorts of sexual preferences but it also seems that there's more same sex orientated people than ever before. Hormonal changes from xeno estrogens? Mother nature's way of population control?

Greg says

I think I heard RP mention in an interview that being gay was something to do with possible high exposure of oestrogen in the womb (?)

Xisca

The only truth for sure is that living beings are sexual!
Then I guess nature makes it more likely to prefer the other sex, as no homosexual species would survive.
I think we can be bisexual, as we do not have sex only for procreation, and we might be nature oriented or socially oriented so that we breed the next generation.
I also read or heard that men and women exchange some of their specific hormones. Add the nervous system benefit of sex, everything is made by nature so that 1 thing has more than 1 aim.

It is interresting to see how sensitive we are, and the result of some slight changes, the domino effect etc.

natedawggh

As a gay guy I find this research great! I've long believed the reason I have a preference for other men is because of the environment of the womb. There are so many triggers that are designed to shape and develop an organism in the womb, I don't think it's a mistake but more like baking. With the addition of an extra egg in dough you can get a more cake-like concoction and without the egg you get cookies (I would be the cookie). I think these processes obviously decide many traits a person has like personality, height, IQ, etc. It's just further confirmation that I am a legitimate creation of nature, which being one I already knew.

Also gay swans.

natedawggh

Oh... I also like this research because it validates the bulk of Peat's work, about how hormones and environment form an organism and not the other way around, and this kind of research will lead to therapies that actually heal people from diseases because hormones will be better understood.

tara

I think all of us are legitimate and wonderful creations of nature, regardless of sexual preferences. As Xisca says, what we know is that we are sexual beings. I think this is a good thing.

I don't believe that people are born with a set predetermined same sex preference. I don't think this is at all necessary for legitimately claiming basic human rights, respect and social inclusion. That should come with being human, though unfortunately we've got a ways to go to universally recognise this.

Sexual preferences often develop as adolescents and young adults and sometimes change as adults.

There are so many factors - social and individual - that could be influencing our choices in this area, consciously or otherwise, that there doesn't seem to be strong evidence for, or benefit to be gained from, claiming that it is primarily predetermined by the time we are born (whether genetically or epigenetically).

lvysaur

Vitamin K, zinc+b6, fermentable fiber, and glutamate all seem to affect my sex drive in very unique ways.

K gives me a very relaxed sex drive, zinc+b6 makes me very emotionally attached, fermentable fiber makes me insatiable, and glutamate makes me very confident and dominant.

DaveFoster

@haidut

Do you think pCPA is safe? It seems like a very effective drug for libido, but I've heard some negative things of using something like l-tyrosine to raise dopamine directly.

Makrosky

From personal experience I am up for your theory haidut. Sexual preferences can be, at least in some people and to some degree, be very influenced by neuroendocrine parameters.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Do you think pCPA is safe? It seems like a very effective drug for libido, but I've heard some negative things of using something like l-tyrosine to raise dopamine directly.

There isn't much public data on safety, but the US military did a lot of studies with it in the 1960s and 1970s and I don't think it killed anybody. Older school bodybuilders like Arnold and Weider also used it but I am not aware of published data on that.
There are clinical trials right now with newer TPH inhibitors for conditions like IBS and IBD. Some of these are based on pCPA, so you may be able to get more information on these since they are likely to become official drugs in the near future. Just google "TPH inhbitor IBS".

Oleg

Do you think that there were always the same amount of gay and lesbian people's throughout history and no its just more socially acceptable to be open about it or do you think that there is some sort of change happening to make more people be born with the same sex preferences?

I think it's probably a little of both. Certainly there have been instances in recorded history that showed people with all sorts of sexual preferences but it also seems that there's more same sex orientated people than ever before. Hormonal changes from xeno estrogens? Mother nature's way of population con

I think it's probably a little of both. Certainly there have been instances in recorded history that showed people with all sorts of sexual preferences but it also seems that there's more same sex orientated people than ever before. Hormonal changes from xeno estrogens? Mother nature's way of population control?
The percentage is pretty steady in human population, just like in other animals.

NewACC

@haidut

it will definitely make you sleepless and i would add some valerian to boost adenosine and melatonin, due to severe depletion of them by pCPA