Severely Underweight! Scared

jayUK9779

Hi everyone,

I am new to all this, an would really appreciate any tips on how to gain weight with this diet? I can not tolerate dairy (unable to get hold of Raw milk in this country). When I consume organic blue top whole fat milk it gives me headaches and I become very irritable :( any suggestions on how to get dairy back in my diet?

cliff

Lots of things could help, more sugar, vitamin A, aspirin, thyroid hormone, b3/1/6, raw carrot, salt etc.

dietf***ed

If you are underweight, then in this Specific instance, I would recommend following Matt Stone's advice. Diet Recovery 2. Just remember to dial things back in and retry Peating once you put on the necessary muscle mass & weight.

Dan W

The things Cliff mentions (aside from potentially helping with dairy intolerance) helped increase my appetite, which helped me gain weight. They might do the same for you, even if they don't help with the dairy problems.

Mittir

RP suggests changing brands and he also mentioned that some people do better with ultra high temperature milk.
I do better with milk boiled for long time. Adding extra sugar to milk makes it easier to digest. If you have problem with lactose, you can add lemon juice/ vinegar to make milk curd and that is milk protein without lactose. You will have less calcium in this curd but easier to digest. You can also try strained yogurt ( Greek yogurt), this yogurt does not have lactic acid. RP recommends against lactic acid in traditional yogurt. I have noticed i can digest milk without problems when i get daily raw carrot salad and weekly liver. Hypothyroid people also have problem drinking raw milk.

OP
J

jayUK9779

Thanks for the responses!! I am trying new things but its hard as im very sick. I have a sugar issue aswell (get the shakes) :(

Bryan

Pregnenolone powder for sure! I also used to get shaky (under stress) and was completely milk intolerant. I had trouble eating any foods really. I was also very skinny, so be careful what you wish for, because now I'm definitely larger and don't quite fell comfortable with the way I look. I wish I had a scale in this instance but I don't, I never thought I had a "weight problem". You could try pregnenolone just to see what it does to you, I think it's pretty safe, and it will definitely stop the shaking if nothing else.

jyb

Parmesan is made with unpasteurized milk. And cheese is low in lactose. Maybe it would also help you get more protein and maintain muscle mass.

jaketthomas

dietf***ed said:
If you are underweight, then in this Specific instance, I would recommend following Matt Stone's advice. Diet Recovery 2. Just remember to dial things back in and retry Peating once you put on the necessary muscle mass & weight.

I agree with this advice. Matt stone has some interesting insights as far as low fluid intake and super high calories. You'll definitely gain weight doing this.

It's pretty hard to gain weight doing a strict Ray Peat style diet, unless you start bombing on ice cream, and drinking a gallon of full fat milk a day. Ray seems to be big on fluids, whereas Matt Stone absolutely shuns fluid intake. It's much easier to gain weight by keeping the fluid intake low.

jyb

jaketthomas said:
dietf***ed said:

I agree with this advice. Matt stone has some interesting insights as far as low fluid intake and super high calories. You'll definitely gain weight doing this.

It's pretty hard to gain weight doing a strict Ray Peat style diet, unless you start bombing on ice cream, and drinking a gallon of full fat milk a day. Ray seems to be big on fluids, whereas Matt Stone absolutely shuns fluid intake. It's much easier to gain weight by keeping the fluid intake low.

Do you know why it's easier to gain weight when eating solid foods? Is it just because one might be more likely to eat more calories as a result - or would still expect gain for an equal amount of calories?

OP
J

jayUK9779

Ive just hit the 9 stone barrier and im 5ft 10! I have allergies to gluten and dairy and eggs so hard to fatten up! I eat 5-7 small meals a day but not improving my weight at all but under alot of stress so maybe that isnt helping the situation! Shal i seek medical help as I just look and feel awful! my stools are normal colour and consistency no blood or anything. Any drugs I can take that will enable me to gain some weight?? just scared thats all. BTW have been this low before and got up to a nice weight through lots of meditation but just wondering at what point will it be serious?

Brian

How many calories are you consistently able to hold down?

I would try to making smoothies with foods that you can digest well. If you can't digest milk, how about casein powder? If not maybe try some pea and rice protein powders. Those are usually tolerated well. Maybe smoothies of fruit/fruit juice, white sugar, and a protein supplement you tolerate.

Can you digest potatoes? If so maybe try to include a 1-2 meals of well cooked and salted potatoes with coconut oil or butter.

Foods like these really helped me recover from my few years of low carb/low calorie. Eating like this I was easily able to consume and absorb near 4000 calories. My experience has been that lean tissue is very hard to build after long periods of stress unless you are consuming a very large amount of easily assimilated carbs along with your protein intake.

supercoolguy

There must be some meals you've had before that you devoured. What would that meal be? For me it usually means like Brian mentions a well cooked baked potato n butter. Add a burger lettuce wrap, cheese tomato and that's it.

tara

Brian's post makes sense to me. I'm also curious about how much you are managing to eat.

Do you know if it is the protein or lactose you have trouble with in milk? I get some trouble with too much milk, but butter seems to be OK.
Are you able to snack on chocolate, dates, honey etc between meals?

Cyproheptadine is sometimes used to help people recover from undereating. Even very low doses seem to make a difference.

Luann

Liquid calories: Full-fat milk, sugar, that Haagan-Dasz icecream, and if you want, peanut butter (made with palm oil not "veg oil") is quite caloric and appealling blended into a milkshake

Bruv

Milk based foods are probably not a great idea for somebody that is allergic to milk. I too am allergic to all milk products. It's not lactose intolerance so the milk products that some lactose intolerant people can tolerate are not tolerated at all by me.
I have not found it easy to do a Peat style diet without milk products while trying to maintain or even increase weight. The only food that I have found so far that does add weight and that I can digest fairly easily is new potatoes. I had to build up the amount of new potatoes very slowly because I had not eaten any starchy food in many years because starches seemed to give me problems. Your situation might be different?
I usually have the new potatoes heated up in homemade stock and often mashed with a little stock and home rendered beef fat.

lindsay

I switched out cheeses (cheddar, gouda, brie, emmentaler, etc.) and cream for milk awhile ago and I manage to tolerate them much better - not to mention, they are higher in fat, which should help with weight/muscle gain. The low liquid content was also beneficial. Keeping plenty of sugar in the diet - along with saturated fat and some sodium - ought to help combat the stress. These three things are key for healing, I think. If you cannot tolerate fruits much, maybe try sugar and honey for a time period and see if that helps you gain weight. Also, if meditation helped you in the past, I would try to make a little time for it each day. Best wishes to you!

Barry Obummer

I know starches are not recommended but If you are on a budget maybe you should make smoothies with oatmeal, sugar, and water. At least there's a little protein and it's super cheap to get lots of calories.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals