Severe Stomach Pain After Eating Most Proteins

k2896

In February I went on a carnivore elimination diet to clear my acne I got while eating junk while working at a cafe. During that month I constantly had acid reflux after eating meat and I suspected low stomach acid but ignored it for that month. Once I looked into ray peats work I got a bit overexcited and added in milk, gelatine and root vegetables, at first I was constipated, got acne and then started to get stomach pains after eating eggs, red meat, liver, oysters and chicken. Cod was the only protein that usually didn't cause any issues but even that sometimes did. I ended up eating mainly carbs for a while because most proteins left me in pain for three hours. Doctor was useless she told me to take antiacids and I had to ask for a stool test for h-pylori that came back negative.

Does anyone have any advice and what tests I should buy, does this sound like sibo?

I'm at a complete loss, I mentally feel terrible on so many carbs but it's the only thing that doesn't give me stomach pain.

Recoen

Do you supplement B1? People with stomach acid issues, "low and high", find they go away with B1. For potential SIBO, are you doing the raw carrot salad?

Kvothe

I had the same thing for several months until I realized it was due to eating too much protein. Certain pathogenic bacteria such as b.wadsworthia thrive on sulphur-containing ammino acids and produce excess ammonia and other products of putrefaction. I think eating according to hunger and avoiding large amounts of protein would be a good way too approach the problem. Fibers like bamboo and carrot or "anti-bacterial" bacteria such as b.subtilis and b.licheniformis can help to change the microbiome so that you may be able to digest protein properly.

I had the same thing for several months until I realized it was due to eating too much protein. Certain pathogenic bacteria such as b.wadsworthia thrive on sulphur-containing ammino acids and produce excess ammonia and other products of putrefaction. I think eating according to hunger and avoiding large amounts of protein would be a good way too approach the problem. Fibers like bamboo and carrot or "anti-bacterial" bacteria such as b.subtilis and b.licheniformis can help to change the microbiome so that you may be able to digest protein properly.

I, too, have problems digesting protein that could be due to pathogenic bacteria, so I read your post with interest. It seems I get bad stress reactions when protein (or partially digested protein) passes through my intestine, perhaps feeding the pathogenic bacteria you mention. I struggle to eat 50 g of protein per day, and often get much less. I eat a Peat style carrot salad daily and cooked mushrooms almost daily.

Are there foods with significant protein content that are relatively poor in the sulfur-containing amino acids you mentioned?

I'd be interested in any other ideas you have for dealing with these protein-loving pathogenic species.

Edit: I have capsules containing b. subtilis and b. licheniformis. I'll give them a try.

Last edited:

Kvothe

I, too, have problems digesting protein that could be due to pathogenic bacteria, so I read your post with interest. It seems I get bad stress reactions when protein (or partially digested protein) passes through my intestine, perhaps feeding the pathogenic bacteria you mention. I struggle to eat 50 g of protein per day, and often get much less. I eat a Peat style carrot salad daily and cooked mushrooms almost daily.

Are there foods with significant protein content that are relatively poor in the sulfur-containing amino acids you mentioned?

I'd be interested in any other ideas you have for dealing with these protein-loving pathogenic species.

Edit: I have capsules containing b. subtilis and b. licheniformis. I'll give them a try.

Most animal proteins have a significant quantity, the same goes for plant proteins. I don't know any source that has significantly fewer of those amino acids, except gelatine, which I can't tolerate. I find beef to be the most tolerable, and I am beginning to think that certain yoghurts digest pretty well. The things that worked best for me are not eating too much protein at once (i.e. no more than 30 grams) and keeping the ratio of carbs and fats to protein very high. I mentioned not eating when you're not hungry already. Have you tried bamboo shoots? I find them to be the most effective fiber - for some reason mushrooms really do the opposite for me. They make me bloated and gasy, which is no big deal since I hate the taste of them.
If you want to try subtilis and licheniformis, I suggest you increase the amount by culturing them in milk. If everything goes right, you get a nice yoghurt, otherwise you can just drink slightly thickened milk. I think the amount in standard capsules in unlikely to be enough to make a difference.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, @Kvothe.

Most animal proteins have a significant quantity, the same goes for plant proteins. I don't know any source that has significantly fewer of those amino acids, except gelatine, which I can't tolerate.

Interesting. As far as I can tell, all proteins give me difficulty, but gelatin gives me the least.

I find beef to be the most tolerable, and I am beginning to think that certain yoghurts digest pretty well. The things that worked best for me are not eating too much protein at once (i.e. no more than 30 grams) and keeping the ratio of carbs and fats to protein very high.

I'll experiment more with beef.

I already eat a lot of carbs with my protein, but I might be able to increase fat. When you were fixing this problem, roughly how much fat did you eat per gram of protein?

I mentioned not eating when you're not hungry already. Have you tried bamboo shoots? I find them to be the most effective fiber - for some reason mushrooms really do the opposite for me. They make me bloated and gasy, which is no big deal since I hate the taste of them.

No, haven't tried bamboo shoots. I'll see what I can find.

If you want to try subtilis and licheniformis, I suggest you increase the amount by culturing them in milk. If everything goes right, you get a nice yoghurt, otherwise you can just drink slightly thickened milk. I think the amount in standard capsules in unlikely to be enough to make a difference.

Good to know; thanks.

Kvothe

I already eat a lot of carbs with my protein, but I might be able to increase fat. When you were fixing this problem, roughly how much fat did you eat per gram of protein?

I never measured it. I would guess something like 1.5 times as much. To reinvigorate my metabolism I kept protein at 50g or less.

I never measured it. I would guess something like 1.5 times as much. To reinvigorate my metabolism I kept protein at 50g or less.

Thanks, that information helps.

RPDiciple

How long did you have to do the 50 grams or less? and that is from total protein intake from all sources? also what happend to your muscle mass during that low period? since im doing weight training and all that is my main concern :)