OP
J

Jesilyn

what are the main symptoms you have when you eat dairy ?
It seems to just increase my entire symptomolgy pattern as far as I can tell, and definitely some bowel irritation. I was hoping it was a die off phenomenon, and maybe it is, but one I don’t seem metabolically equipped to handle yet...

OP
J

Jesilyn

Without being able to speak directly to my doctor, but just short notes through her assistant, she suggested 5htp or to write me a prescription for ambien in my request for emergency sleep aide. I cannot yet talk to her about her reasoning for either of these options, but don’t feel comfortable trying either of those blindly, so I am trying to find out a bit more in the meantime.

I’m a bit confused about how 5htp works, or is supposed to work. I get the sense it may be not well understood or may do different things in different bodies? I gather some people have increased anxiety, so there is the potential for it to have a negative impact on whatever neurotransmitter dynamics are at play?

What about ambien? Can anyone help me understand how this is intended to affect the system and what the potential risks/downsides are?

In the past four nights I have actually had two nights where I slept through most of the night. But it is the middle of the night and the neurotransmitter phenomenon is worse than ever. The most wired I have felt, not sleepy at all, just wide awake and wired. I usually try to keep coaxing my system toward sleep, but that’s not working.

In a way it sort of feels good, there’s an aliveness in my belly that I wasn’t feeling before, is that an effect of serotonin? Is that why it’s mistaken as the happy hormone? It also feels less bloated and less inflamed, but maybe that’s thanks to aspirin, but I don’t think totally because I am only taking one tablet a day max right before bed or when I wake up in the night. In the evening, it’s like I’m kind of in a glow, I don’t feel so poorly, whereas until recently I was dragging and feeling really poorly. I fall asleep pretty early and easily, pretty much as soon as it gets dark, but then I’m wide awake an hour or less later. It doesn’t always happen, but it did tonight, that when I wake up after initially falling to sleep, I have an urgent bowel movement. This happened a few times when I was trying to make dairy work weeks back.

Yesterday with lunch I introduced a couple of tablespoons of unrefined cane sugar. For a few hours there was noticeable increased activity and movement in my gut. It didn’t feel negative, and there wasn’t an increase in negative symptoms, but I did have an appetite increase and want to drink orange juice pretty soon after. It was a very pronounced effect that I don’t know how to interpret but I think had to be connected to cane sugar. It felt at least partially pro-metabolic, but obviously there’s more at play. Could more sugar be simultaneously supporting metabolism and increasing endotoxin due to incomplete digestion/absorption?

I also had a small bite of cottage cheese with lunch, which I’ve done once or twice in the past few days, I think only on the days that led to really poor sleep, but I missed it in my notes so I’m not sure, but I know there were no immediate noticeable effects the other times. It’s just crazy that such small quantities of things could have such dramatic results! And it’s so hard to isolate variables.

Also I took an aspirin in water with bicarbonate when I woke up tonight and shortly after had a metallic taste at the back of my throat that tasted like blood, so I’m taking that as a sign I need to back off the aspirin, which I’ve only been doing 1 tablet a day.

Suggestions? Insights? Hints? Intuitions?

What can I do in the moment to mitigate damage? I know psychologically trying to sleep when I can’t adds stress, but anything I can do physically?

I’ve been sifting through threads in the forum looking for hints and trying to puzzle bits together. I saw the suggestion in several insomnia threads to sleep with the light on. I assume that is to reduce that stress of darkness, and I am curious to understand more about how that would work. I have followed the work of Jack Kruse and he is big on protecting darkness in the circadian cycle, so I am curious what the implications of being in light at night would be short term and long term.

OP
J

Jesilyn

Also I am relying on orange juice increasingly for nourishment. I have seen in a few places that people mix baking soda into acidic juices to cut the acidity. Why might the acidity be a problem, isn’t the stomach already very acidic?

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
Without being able to speak directly to my doctor, but just short notes through her assistant, she suggested 5htp or to write me a prescription for ambien in my request for emergency sleep aide. I cannot yet talk to her about her reasoning for either of these options, but don’t feel comfortable trying either of those blindly, so I am trying to find out a bit more in the meantime.

I’m a bit confused about how 5htp works, or is supposed to work. I get the sense it may be not well understood or may do different things in different bodies? I gather some people have increased anxiety, so there is the potential for it to have a negative impact on whatever neurotransmitter dynamics are at play?

What about ambien? Can anyone help me understand how this is intended to affect the system and what the potential risks/downsides are?

In the past four nights I have actually had two nights where I slept through most of the night. But it is the middle of the night and the neurotransmitter phenomenon is worse than ever. The most wired I have felt, not sleepy at all, just wide awake and wired. I usually try to keep coaxing my system toward sleep, but that’s not working.

In a way it sort of feels good, there’s an aliveness in my belly that I wasn’t feeling before, is that an effect of serotonin? Is that why it’s mistaken as the happy hormone? It also feels less bloated and less inflamed, but maybe that’s thanks to aspirin, but I don’t think totally because I am only taking one tablet a day max right before bed or when I wake up in the night. In the evening, it’s like I’m kind of in a glow, I don’t feel so poorly, whereas until recently I was dragging and feeling really poorly. I fall asleep pretty early and easily, pretty much as soon as it gets dark, but then I’m wide awake an hour or less later. It doesn’t always happen, but it did tonight, that when I wake up after initially falling to sleep, I have an urgent bowel movement. This happened a few times when I was trying to make dairy work weeks back.

Yesterday with lunch I introduced a couple of tablespoons of unrefined cane sugar. For a few hours there was noticeable increased activity and movement in my gut. It didn’t feel negative, and there wasn’t an increase in negative symptoms, but I did have an appetite increase and want to drink orange juice pretty soon after. It was a very pronounced effect that I don’t know how to interpret but I think had to be connected to cane sugar. It felt at least partially pro-metabolic, but obviously there’s more at play. Could more sugar be simultaneously supporting metabolism and increasing endotoxin due to incomplete digestion/absorption?

I also had a small bite of cottage cheese with lunch, which I’ve done once or twice in the past few days, I think only on the days that led to really poor sleep, but I missed it in my notes so I’m not sure, but I know there were no immediate noticeable effects the other times. It’s just crazy that such small quantities of things could have such dramatic results! And it’s so hard to isolate variables.

Also I took an aspirin in water with bicarbonate when I woke up tonight and shortly after had a metallic taste at the back of my throat that tasted like blood, so I’m taking that as a sign I need to back off the aspirin, which I’ve only been doing 1 tablet a day.

Suggestions? Insights? Hints? Intuitions?

What can I do in the moment to mitigate damage? I know psychologically trying to sleep when I can’t adds stress, but anything I can do physically?

I’ve been sifting through threads in the forum looking for hints and trying to puzzle bits together. I saw the suggestion in several insomnia threads to sleep with the light on. I assume that is to reduce that stress of darkness, and I am curious to understand more about how that would work. I have followed the work of Jack Kruse and he is big on protecting darkness in the circadian cycle, so I am curious what the implications of being in light at night would be short term and long term.

all you need to know about ambien is that you shouldn't take it

try megadose glycine. suggesting this not so much as a sleep aid although it certainly should help than because you've most likely put a dent in your stores with all the aspirin

Last edited:
OP
J

Jesilyn

all you need to know about ambien is that you shouldn't take it

try megadose glycine. suggesting this not so much as a sleep aid although it certainly should help than because you've most likely put a dent in your stores with all the aspirin
I have been consuming quite a lot of homemade broth made with lots of chicken feet, so it’s very gelatinous and I’m assuming abundant in glycine. I was taking collagen/gelatin supplement before bed, but it definitely seemed to be worsening the neurotransmitter imbalance. I wonder if it is even during the day, although I don’t notice increased anxiety after eating it for breakfast or lunch, at least not significantly enough for me to recognize. I suspect I’m one of those people responding paradoxically to glycine...

OP
J

Jesilyn

Another question: can anyone recommend a resource to learn about progesterone, pregnenolone, and DHEA. I keep seeing this but have no idea what the deal is. Are they all taken at once in relation to each other? Could this be a sleep intervention?

JanW55

Forum Supporter
@Jesilyn, on your Progesterone question, I advise go to the best source:

Progesterone Summaries - Progesterone Deceptions - Progesterone Supplementation - Dosage of Progesterone

I DON'T RECOMMEND yam cream or POP. (Also by the way, I say steer clear of 5-HTP, Tryptophan, Melatonin, and Rx sleeping pills. "Delta Waves" on recordings have helped me get some sleep but perhaps I am odd in that the popular forest and ocean sounds don't do it for me but brainwave type things do.)

Years ago I read some articles, possibly a book also, by a practitioner named John Lee MD (deceased 2003 I believe) and I ended up going the 'yam cream' heath-store route, which was unfortunately not right for me.

After that I managed to find an endocrinologist who was willing to prescribe NDT and he gave me an Rx for an official 'progesterone-only [PMS relief etc] pill' known as POP. That was also not a good thing for me.

Both the yam cream and POP methods were probably just acting like placebo as far as progesterone; they did nothing, hopefully nothing extremely harmful besides, but who knows? but at any rate I went on to a Hashimoto's Thyroiditis diagnosis of nearly 1000 TPO-AB antibodies in the lab test, TSH of 12, and a giant estrogen imbalance situation (too much estrogen).

Don't know your age but my woes were from bad to worse from 2000 to 2016 (age 45 to 61). From personal experience, I will state that hormones are definitely not something to casually play around with at any age, and I mean any hormone.

After my Thyroid (from taking nothing but T-4) RT3 Meltdown in 2016 I discovered Tom Brimeyer who has "Forefront Health [Hypothyroidism Revolution]" website and he mentioned Raymond Peat's works.

Actually I first got Progest-E from iherb website (that being the original Peat patented version) but now Brimeyer is selling a darn good one too which has MCT's, the E and the Progesterone and is very compatible with my innards or whatever.

In the 4-plus years since I melted down, I have put a lot of drops (collectively speaking) of the Progest-E/similar concoction into my system and it has been all to the good in my case.

As far as the insomnia and waking up and over-sensitivity to everything and SIBO and food intolerances I have been there done that and gotten the T-shirt as they say, so I completely sympathize with your situation.

But this was about your Progesterone inquiry there, and let's say that I rejoice every night I manage to 'sleep all the way through' and it was last night AND the night before, BUT... the night before THAT it was not the case, so I'm still working on the SIBO, histamines situation, what to eat and when to eat it, what to take, and all the rest of it.

As well as going on and doing 'symmetry' and other 'remedial work' when I'm awake anyway, might as well.

All the best! It can get better and will and take it extremely slowly I say!

-jw

P. S. The Progesterone in my case is sufficient and I found that Pregnenolone and DHEA were not helping matters and probably redundant anyway given the Progesterone.

P. P. S. Haidut has some Progesterone liquid too I believe; I do benefit from and recommend his Cyproheptadine in very small quantities.

OP
J

Jesilyn

@Jesilyn, on your Progesterone question, I advise go to the best source:

Progesterone Summaries - Progesterone Deceptions - Progesterone Supplementation - Dosage of Progesterone

I DON'T RECOMMEND yam cream or POP. (Also by the way, I say steer clear of 5-HTP, Tryptophan, Melatonin, and Rx sleeping pills. "Delta Waves" on recordings have helped me get some sleep but perhaps I am odd in that the popular forest and ocean sounds don't do it for me but brainwave type things do.)

Years ago I read some articles, possibly a book also, by a practitioner named John Lee MD (deceased 2003 I believe) and I ended up going the 'yam cream' heath-store route, which was unfortunately not right for me.

After that I managed to find an endocrinologist who was willing to prescribe NDT and he gave me an Rx for an official 'progesterone-only [PMS relief etc] pill' known as POP. That was also not a good thing for me.

Both the yam cream and POP methods were probably just acting like placebo as far as progesterone; they did nothing, hopefully nothing extremely harmful besides, but who knows? but at any rate I went on to a Hashimoto's Thyroiditis diagnosis of nearly 1000 TPO-AB antibodies in the lab test, TSH of 12, and a giant estrogen imbalance situation (too much estrogen).

Don't know your age but my woes were from bad to worse from 2000 to 2016 (age 45 to 61). From personal experience, I will state that hormones are definitely not something to casually play around with at any age, and I mean any hormone.

After my Thyroid (from taking nothing but T-4) RT3 Meltdown in 2016 I discovered Tom Brimeyer who has "Forefront Health [Hypothyroidism Revolution]" website and he mentioned Raymond Peat's works.

Actually I first got Progest-E from iherb website (that being the original Peat patented version) but now Brimeyer is selling a darn good one too which has MCT's, the E and the Progesterone and is very compatible with my innards or whatever.

In the 4-plus years since I melted down, I have put a lot of drops (collectively speaking) of the Progest-E/similar concoction into my system and it has been all to the good in my case.

As far as the insomnia and waking up and over-sensitivity to everything and SIBO and food intolerances I have been there done that and gotten the T-shirt as they say, so I completely sympathize with your situation.

But this was about your Progesterone inquiry there, and let's say that I rejoice every night I manage to 'sleep all the way through' and it was last night AND the night before, BUT... the night before THAT it was not the case, so I'm still working on the SIBO, histamines situation, what to eat and when to eat it, what to take, and all the rest of it.

As well as going on and doing 'symmetry' and other 'remedial work' when I'm awake anyway, might as well.

All the best! It can get better and will and take it extremely slowly I say!

-jw

P. S. The Progesterone in my case is sufficient and I found that Pregnenolone and DHEA were not helping matters and probably redundant anyway given the Progesterone.

P. P. S. Haidut has some Progesterone liquid too I believe; I do benefit from and recommend his Cyproheptadine in very small quantities.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I had some hormones tested a few months ago and my progesterone and estrogen both are very low. I am 33. Do you see the cyproheptadine and progesterone as parallel therapies or are there reasons to one versus the other? Is here a link to the progesterone drops you mention?

bk_

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I had some hormones tested a few months ago and my progesterone and estrogen both are very low. I am 33. Do you see the cyproheptadine and progesterone as parallel therapies or are there reasons to one versus the other? Is here a link to the progesterone drops you mention?

Jesilyn I’ve been in the same boat with 1 hour of sleep and the misery. I think insomnia can be triggered by different things but for me it was triggered by methylated B-vitamins with folate. I noticed eating leafy greens for dinner would make the insomnia more intense. This misery went on for over a year until I finally took niacinimide for over a week and it resolved the insomnia and somehow reset everything.

I first took 250mg but it induced tremendous hunger so I cut back to 50mg per meal as Ray Peat suggests. I also use progesterone in the morning every now and then and it induces sleep pressure at night (that sudden sleepy feeling and urge to want to go to sleep). I also found occassional use of thiamine HCL in the morning to help with sleep.

A word of caution of drastic dietary changes (been there done that): it can really throw your nutrition off-balance and drag you deeper into a rabbit hole. Use an app like chronometer to see if your coming up short in any kind of nutrition. Also don’t take huge amounts of raw sugar or sweets because it’ll just cause weight gain and deplete your nutrients (glycolysis metabolism requires many nutrients and co-factors). It’ll feel good at first but then you’ll start to lose the feeling and gain weight. Stick to whole foods.

Starches are hard to digest I know, I’ve found coffee helps with gut metabolism with harder to digest meals.

Taking a bit of raw organic honey first thing in the morning is sufficient for probiotics [Detection and identification of a novel lactic acid bacterial flora within the honey stomach of the honeybee Apis mellifera - PubMed]. Humans have been doing this for thousands of years and I hypothesize bee crops have the right probiotic for handling glucose/fructose and keeping a high metabolism. A bit of coconut oil between meals to kill off what’s in the upper intestines.

Last edited:

JanW55

Forum Supporter
I've paid for most all my blood tests done in the past 20 years, and ordered them up myself, but at any rate after 2016 gave up on testing results anyway. I felt like BLEH (and told insurance doctors that for decades) and they said 'you're healthy as a horse go away don't bother us' kind of attitude' and 'if you think you have a thyroid problem then you need an SSRI here is an Rx for THAT.'

I was asked by one particularly snide award-winning OB-GYN on my insurance plan, "so you think you have a little thyroid problem?" I went rather ballistic verbally at that and he approved the fabulously expensive (NOT at all!! I am joking) 2 tests.

It was only after those blood tests they finally approved of, showing I had high Hashimoto's Antibodies and an out-of-range TSH that they prescribed "Synthroid." Which of course is synthetic T-4 and absolutely the worse possible thing I could have taken, but that's another story.

The blood tests for hormones are dubious and I've never felt like I wanted to invest in other bodily-fluids testing so don't have an opinion (some people seem to like saliva-testing, urine-testing and 24-hour tests of various things etc.).

Anyhow the environment we all live in can be hormone disruptive, as well as the foods we are all eating and whatnot. Not to mention STRESS. All contributing to ESTROGEN dominance which is definitely not a good space to be in.

Therefore I personally tried to get some progesterone as I described above, and got onto yam cream and POP Rx pills, but those did not help.

Progest-E was what has made all the difference for me, and it helped a lot of physical problem areas (see Peat website link above).

The Kenogen Progest-E is available at a couple of websites (iherb had it -- I think I got it from them at one point). I see LongNaturalHealth site mentions it right now. Haidut a contributor to this very site raypeatforum makes some I think, and Tom Brimeyer's site has it, which is one he got developed for him.

I was reluctant to try cyproheptadine at first (and still only use a tiny droplet when I do use it) but it's been a great help as an antihistamine. That usage is in parallel to Progesterone, and not interdependent or anything.

I'm fighting SIBO lifelong issues, and use sparing amounts of oregano oil pills (Gaia brand) at times.

1/2 tablet of diphenhydramine (brand name Benadryl I think it is) from time to time is a big help too.

OP
J

Jesilyn

Jesilyn I’ve been in the same boat with 1 hour of sleep and the misery. I think insomnia can be triggered by different things but for me it was triggered by methylated B-vitamins with folate. I noticed eating leafy greens for dinner would make the insomnia more intense. This misery went on for over a year until I finally took niacinimide for over a week and it resolved the insomnia and somehow reset everything.

I first took 250mg but it induced tremendous hunger so I cut back to 50mg per meal as Ray Peat suggests. I also use progesterone in the morning every now and then and it induces sleep pressure at night (that sudden sleepy feeling and urge to want to go to sleep). I also found occassional use of thiamine HCL in the morning to help with sleep.

A word of caution of drastic dietary changes (been there done that): it can really throw your nutrition off-balance and drag you deeper into a rabbit hole. Use an app like chronometer to see if your coming up short in any kind of nutrition. Also don’t take huge amounts of raw sugar or sweets because it’ll just cause weight gain and deplete your nutrients (glycolysis metabolism requires many nutrients and co-factors). It’ll feel good at first but then you’ll start to lose the feeling and gain weight. Stick to whole foods.

Starches are hard to digest I know, I’ve found coffee helps with gut metabolism with harder to digest meals.

Taking a bit of raw organic honey first thing in the morning is sufficient for probiotics [Detection and identification of a novel lactic acid bacterial flora within the honey stomach of the honeybee Apis mellifera - PubMed]. Humans have been doing this for thousands of years and I hypothesize bee crops have the right probiotic for handling glucose/fructose and keeping a high metabolism. A bit of coconut oil between meals to kill off what’s in the upper intestines.
Thanks for sharing your experience and ideas! I probably am short on nutrition, I am eating as much as my appetite will allow and moving through it intuitively. I had another sleepless night last night and now having diarrhea throughout day, which has not happened yet. And appetite shutting down. Nursing myself with honey and bone broth, but it’s really no enough. Was it just the folate that caused you problems? Or other b vitamins? I am taking thiamine only, have tried b6 a few times, but mostly just been hoping to get what I need from liver. What is it about the leafy greens? I did just add some back to my diet... any particular recommendations around what kind of niacinimide? How did you realize you needed that?

bk_

Thanks for sharing your experience and ideas! I probably am short on nutrition, I am eating as much as my appetite will allow and moving through it intuitively. I had another sleepless night last night and now having diarrhea throughout day, which has not happened yet. And appetite shutting down. Nursing myself with honey and bone broth, but it’s really no enough. Was it just the folate that caused you problems? Or other b vitamins? I am taking thiamine only, have tried b6 a few times, but mostly just been hoping to get what I need from liver. What is it about the leafy greens? I did just add some back to my diet... any particular recommendations around what kind of niacinimide? How did you realize you needed that?

Thiamine, niacin, and b6 don’t give me insomnia. I believe it had to do with an over-methylation issue which folate (b9) and methylated b12 can cause and this was in the supplement that triggered the insomnia. Leafy greens are also rich in folate, once I figured this out I discovered niacinimide can powerfully reverse this condition so I tried it.

Niacinimide (b3) does a lot more than just demethylate, it improves energy, lowers inflammation, and lowers stress according to Peat. I guess it’s worth a shot.

Health natura sells a very pure form of niacinimide in bags for very cheap.

Last edited:
I seem to recall an interview with Ray speaking about how he helped a man who could not sleep by cooking him some of his famous potato juice.

The man slept 8+ hours after not being able to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. I think Ray said his head hit the table before he could finish his cooked potato juice!

Hope you have a juicer. good luck. I wish you sweet sleep.

OP
J

Jesilyn

I seem to recall an interview with Ray speaking about how he helped a man who could not sleep by cooking him some of his famous potato juice.

The man slept 8+ hours after not being able to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. I think Ray said his head hit the table before he could finish his cooked potato juice!

Hope you have a juicer. good luck. I wish you sweet sleep.
Have been trying this the past several nights. The first night it seemed to help, but alas I am still not sleeping. Thanks for the encouragement!

OP
J

Jesilyn

I have two options to choose from tonight: trazodone or Benadryl. Opinions??

TibRex

Before considering "tonifying" the body, you might want to consider detoxing first { TCM tenet } by fixing the liver and see whether doing that will solve insomnia and other health issues. I used to have insomnia half the time too. While trying to fix the liver with a herbal combo [dandelion, sarsparilla, silibin, burdock root], I discovered -serendipitously - that I could fall asleep quickly and much more deeply than before. Recently, I also learned that 'mouth taping' can fix many health issues including getting a good night's sleep. If you snore and/or breathe thru' your mouth while trying to sleep, you can be sure that there are attendant sleep or sleep-related issues. Check the videos out:

Mark Berhenne :

Mark Berhenne:

Other videos on YT : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mouth+taping+for+sleep+mark+burhenne

The tape you need : 3M Micropore surgical tape or Somnifix sleep strips :
3m micropore surgical tape - Google Search

somnifix sleep strips - Google Search

Last edited:

SonOfEurope

Bump.

Please help this poor soul.

How much stress are you under not externally but internally? Past psychiatric issues?

Eat simple carbs like well cooked potatoes and eggs/gelatinous cuts.

You're likely at an internal energy deficit bad metabolization of energy. Your cortisol is probably through the roof.

What time do you go to bed?

How is your digestion from start to end?

You should start progest -e as soon as possible.

Are you eating at least 2000 calories? Do you have someone to talk to during the day,... Go for walks? Socialize.

OP
J

Jesilyn

Aww, bless you, thanks for your concern and sweetness. This has been going on so long that I do believe I am in a pretty deep hole of metabolic dysfunction. Stress induced downward spiral. I think I am on the way to climbing out, but the footing is slippery down here and it’s hard to get any momentum as my system seems to have become so sensitized. I think my liver has been overburdened for a long time and I’m just not processing or eliminating well.

With the growing awareness and knowledge that are fruits of this process, I am learning to reduce stress without and within, as well as learning to seek and receive more social support, but that does still feel deficient. But I’m sure it can only grow as I focus intent and desire in that direction.

My digestion is not great, and I’m finding what feels most important is to let my appetite lead the way, and then to use what I’m learning about various mineral and nutrient balances to help guide. I doubt I am getting to 2000 calories at this point, and there are a lot of foods I’m sensitive to that I didn’t use to be, including eggs, dairy, and starch. I am still adding small amounts of them when I feel a craving, but I can usually feel some consequence. Just doing my best to listen, enjoy what I can and do eat, and trust in the super computer that is this body.

My bowels are so sluggish, the cascara has helped with that, but it also feels a bit aggressive/irritating. But definitely better than not eliminating at all!

I have been going to bed pretty early and I usually have no trouble falling asleep, I just don’t stay asleep. I tried 15-20mg Benadryl last night, and it seemed to help some, but didn’t have a strongly perceivable effect. I think I will try the trazodone tonight. Hopefully I will find what I need to help the system balance in a more wholistic way so this will be a very short term crutch. And hopefully I don’t have an adverse reaction!

I thankfully finally get to speak to my naturopath next week, and she had mentioned progesterone early on as a potential intervention, so I will revisit that and find out more about the pros and cons of trying it!

SonOfEurope

I have two options to choose from tonight: trazodone or Benadryl. Opinions??

I'd go for benadryl... But nothing pharmaceutical would knock you out like 7.5 mg (a quarter tablet) of Mirtazapine...

In doses over 15mg Mirtazapine is somewhat stimulating but below 10mg it knocks people out like a good left hook.... It makes you really hungry and improves your appetite and insulin sensitivity if you cycle it well.

(I'm on it.)

Bump bump bump.

Last edited:

SonOfEurope

Aww, bless you, thanks for your concern and sweetness. This has been going on so long that I do believe I am in a pretty deep hole of metabolic dysfunction. Stress induced downward spiral. I think I am on the way to climbing out, but the footing is slippery down here and it’s hard to get any momentum as my system seems to have become so sensitized. I think my liver has been overburdened for a long time and I’m just not processing or eliminating well.

With the growing awareness and knowledge that are fruits of this process, I am learning to reduce stress without and within, as well as learning to seek and receive more social support, but that does still feel deficient. But I’m sure it can only grow as I focus intent and desire in that direction.

My digestion is not great, and I’m finding what feels most important is to let my appetite lead the way, and then to use what I’m learning about various mineral and nutrient balances to help guide. I doubt I am getting to 2000 calories at this point, and there are a lot of foods I’m sensitive to that I didn’t use to be, including eggs, dairy, and starch. I am still adding small amounts of them when I feel a craving, but I can usually feel some consequence. Just doing my best to listen, enjoy what I can and do eat, and trust in the super computer that is this body.

My bowels are so sluggish, the cascara has helped with that, but it also feels a bit aggressive/irritating. But definitely better than not eliminating at all!

I have been going to bed pretty early and I usually have no trouble falling asleep, I just don’t stay asleep. I tried 15-20mg Benadryl last night, and it seemed to help some, but didn’t have a strongly perceivable effect. I think I will try the trazodone tonight. Hopefully I will find what I need to help the system balance in a more wholistic way so this will be a very short term crutch. And hopefully I don’t have an adverse reaction!

I thankfully finally get to speak to my naturopath next week, and she had mentioned progesterone early on as a potential intervention, so I will revisit that and find out more about the pros and cons of trying it!

I am also on 34mg progesterone daily, divided morning and evening.

Has helped me with the withdrawal from a bad medication I was on.

There is no substance as rejuvenating and sedating and anesthetic as Progesterone, read Peat's Articles on it.... Even after 2 years of 32/34 mg daily I occasionally take 150-180mg after lunch to relax...

I relax hard,

Wake up 6 hours afterwards not remembering a thing.

The strongest natural gaba angonist.

As a man I cannot take more than 35 or 40mg daily as its the natural female hormone (in higher dose) and I must balance it out with Pregnenolone and DHEA, but a woman can take as much as she likes during the luteal phase and taker down the next half of the cycle, in the massive quantities women are supposed to produce mid luteal phase it puts estrogen out into circulation, opposes androgens and regenerates the damages done by tissue estrogen in the female body.

I read you're 33... So your Estrogen is rising and it's balance with P4 is not what it used to be at 18 or 19.

This unbalance between Estrogen and Progesterone L, gradually favouring estrogen and the adrenal androgens is linear to ageing in all living beings , read "Progesterone Deceptions " by peat.

This problem you're having will soon be solved but you must be careful not to get trapped in the medical establishment's pharmaceutical traps and not let it leave lasting damage.

My advice is to get a bottle of Progest-e or progestene as soon as you can.

Keep us updated.

Last edited: