Severe Cramps/vomiting. Ladies, Help!

Lecarpetron

Yesterday I had the worst day of period cramps of my life - nausea, vomiting, fever/chills in addition to severe cramps. 650 mg aspirin, 2 tylenols, and 2 advils barely dulled the edge of the cramps. I know that these symptoms are menstrual and not just the flu because I used to get them from ages 11-13, before I was put on the Pill.

While on the pill until age 30, I had no cramps. I went off the pill at 30 after dx of osteoporosis. At 31 I regained my period. I'm 32 now and each period has been worse over the last year or so, and now it's finally back to as awful as before.

I have at least 4 glasses of milk, 2 glasses OJ per day, random cronometer checks show 2500 cal. Heaping tablespoon of Mg citrate at night. At least 1.5 tsp salt, 1 drop Nutrisorb, 5k IU D3, 5 mg K2 per day. 2 pills of NDT per day, sprinkled in my milk/OJ throughout the day. I always mix some Great Lakes green gelatin in my liquids.

I rub one nice healthy strip of Progest-E on my gums daily, continuously throughout my cycle. Waking temp is good, then plummets and I have a hard time keeping it up between 8am and 1pm or so even though I feel warm (including extremities).

Any ideas on what I could try next?????? I've read all of Peat's stuff on dysmenorrhea...just looking for any tips from anyone who has actually improved in this department, especially from those who seem relatively impervious to Progest-E like I am. :(

lindsay

I don't have a history of dysmenorrhea (just amenorrhea), though I used to get diarrhea often when during the first day of menstruating (years ago). I just started my period again last month, so I am hoping it goes well from month to month. That being said, I had no cramps and very little discomfort last month - just extreme waves of depression, which came and went throughout the first couple of days. I take a lot of progest-e, however. I used to use it orally, but now I apply it topically to my abdomen, breasts and wrists.

Have you tried applying progest-e topically? And do you continue using it when you get your period? Also, right away, I'm wondering about the gelatin. Gelatin can cause gut issues for some people and I will only eat the stuff if it's well cooked. I make gelatin gummies from time to time.

Last edited:

HDD

I haven't had your symptoms but there are some excellent older posts by Peatarian that you might find very useful. Here is a link to some of her posts:
Progesterone

Last edited by a moderator:

Stilgar

Does the magnesium citrate feel like it does anything? You could try different magnesium forms, epsom salts in a bath or magnesium bicarbonate water?

You could also be short in b-vitamins, and since magnesium works synergistically with many b vitamins, a combination of the two could be helpful. Have you tried a little b6? I would try b6 and b1, with a little niacinamide and have a safe form of magnesium in food/baths alongside.

OP
Lecarpetron

Lecarpetron

lindsay, I just started topical application a few days ago. I haven't noticed anything (positive or negative) yet compared with only eating it. Haven't had any gelatin distress yet, but possibly because my digestion is generally poor...

Thanks HDD. Interesting, Peatarian suggests using 1/3 bottle per day of Progest-E. I ate half a bottle one time and didn't feel anything so I never tried a large dose again. I will order a bunch of bottles and try 1/3 bottle per day for a few weeks straight to see if that helps.

Stilgar, if I don't take Mg citrate (Natural Calm), I poop rocks (and am lucky to do so once a week). Epsom salts and the Ancient Minerals Mg oil do not have the same effect as oral Mg for me, for some reason. I have some Niacinamide on the way now...no experience with B1/B6. Is there a good B complex available that has all the Bs? I'm guessing no, or I would have already read about it here at some point...

Actually, scratch that, I do have some experience taking B1/B6 in the Fiber Menace guy's Colorectal Recovery supplements. I poop well on those supplements but stopped them because they involve drinking way too much water, plus they include stuff that I don't want like soy leichitin and calcium. But maybe the ample B vitamins that they include were doing something good after all.

Thanks guys!!!

Kray

lindsay, I just started topical application a few days ago. I haven't noticed anything (positive or negative) yet compared with only eating it. Haven't had any gelatin distress yet, but possibly because my digestion is generally poor...

Thanks HDD. Interesting, Peatarian suggests using 1/3 bottle per day of Progest-E. I ate half a bottle one time and didn't feel anything so I never tried a large dose again. I will order a bunch of bottles and try 1/3 bottle per day for a few weeks straight to see if that helps.

Stilgar, if I don't take Mg citrate (Natural Calm), I poop rocks (and am lucky to do so once a week). Epsom salts and the Ancient Minerals Mg oil do not have the same effect as oral Mg for me, for some reason. I have some Niacinamide on the way now...no experience with B1/B6. Is there a good B complex available that has all the Bs? I'm guessing no, or I would have already read about it here at some point...

Actually, scratch that, I do have some experience taking B1/B6 in the Fiber Menace guy's Colorectal Recovery supplements. I poop well on those supplements but stopped them because they involve drinking way too much water, plus they include stuff that I don't want like soy leichitin and calcium. But maybe the ample B vitamins that they include were doing something good after all.

Thanks guys!!!

Hi, can you tell me if you're referring to taking Progest-E while on your period, for severe cramps? For some reason I thought taking progesterone during period was not a good idea. Anyway, a family member is suffering with severe cramps right now, aspirin hasn't helped. I don't really want to give Ibuprofen, would Progest-E really be ok if applied topically?

tara

No guarantees, but things you could try that might have quick effect:
- magnesium in whatever form you have available. If you have Mg sulph (epsom salts) or Mg chloride (magnesium oil), consider diluting with a bit of water and slopping on generously topically.
- fruit or veges or juice and/or something salty in easily digested form as her tastes suggest for other minerals and carbs. (Personally, I don't think I'd have wanted any acidic juices in that state - more like salty vege soup for me.)
- cascara sagrada if you have some handy to help reduce gut inflammation, constipation, congestion that may be contributing to pressure and pain in the area
- Some women find heat soothing. Others find cool on the belly better, or swimming or something.
- personally, if she's tried aspirin and found it ineffective, I would consider ibuprofen in the short term if she wants it and has no contraindications, because severe dysmenorrhea is horrible. And then before next month consider other strategies to reduce the risk. (Don't overload by adding too much ibuprofen to aspirin if she already has that in her system, though.)
- I'm not sure whether or not progesterone would be helpful. If she tries it, remember it might increase need for fuel and salt, and low sodium can predispose to cramps.

Kray

Great tips, thanks! Most ideas have been tried, except for heating pad and progesterone. Just reported back that heating pad helped some. Will probably try that until pain subsides. Thanks for quick response!