Setting Alarm For The Middle Of The Night To Eat?

Ableton

Has anyone done this consistently? What was your experience?

My waking temps are still garbage. The only thing that seems to fix them is cutting the 8 hour food window in half. I feel much better like this in terms of metabolism. However, I do generally not wake up naturally and sleep through the night.

Also, I actually am eating 80/10/10, so that probably doesn't help my blood sugar at night.

How bad would this be for my brain (deep sleep etc)?

I feel like everytime I go hypo (aka every morning) it sets me back in terms of health.

Maljam

If you have to do this, your health is bad and you should rethink what you are doing. Healthy people do not set alarms to wake up in order to eat that is insane. You should be able to sleep through the night with no disturbances and wake up feeling refreshed.

If you are eating 80/10/10 I think it is fairly obvious what the problem is, lower carbs, increase protein, increase fat.

I noticed you said if you have a 4 hour feeding window your temps rise? I would guess this is from adrenaline from lack of fuel and it isn't a positive sign. You possibly even have a lack of calories unless you can stuff ~2500 in a short period of time.

OP
A

Ableton

i eat 4000 cals, and my daytime temps dropped in a high fat experiment (morning temperatures were the same)

my health is bad? well yes, I am hypothyroid.

I think a 40/30/30 split would be better, just my 2c.

OP
A

Ableton

On higher fat my daytime temps legitimately drop from 37 celsius to 36,5, and I get fatter on 2,5k cal while I keep my weight on low fat and 4k cal.

Additionally, I just feel tired and high serotonin on it. Just terrible.

Fat is not for me. I am not going to increase it. I experimented for 3 weeks with it, using cronometer.

On higher fat my daytime temps legitimately drop from 37 celsius to 36,5, and I get fatter on 2,5k cal while I keep my weight on low fat and 4k cal.

Fat is not for me. I am not going to increase it. I experimented for 3 weeks with it, using cronometer.
What about something like quark or protein yogurt, some yogurts I get have low fat but 20g protein, or is dairy bad in your instance??? You could have that before bed??

OP
A

Ableton

What about something like quark or protein yogurt, some yogurts I get have low fat but 20g protein, or is dairy bad in your instance??? You could have that before bed??
I could, but it's not going to increase my temps I do not think. I guess it's worth a shot.

Is it your experience that proteins raise waking temps?

I could, but it's not going to increase my temps I do not think. I guess it's worth a shot.

Is it your experience that proteins raise waking temps?

Well that's complicated, I have been using B vitamins and Lugol's Iodine/Iodide for some months whilst increasing protein. My thought with protein is as we age we should consume more of it. I try and have a low fat yogurt with high protein content an hour os so before bed, sometimes a whey protein shake (rarely). I usually go to bed with my hands and feet feeling toasty, and wake up with the same, it works for me but I understand we are all different lol.
The cacoa nibs I consume during the day have selenium to compliment the Iodine/Iodide intake :):

OP
A

Ableton

haha good to know, I actually hopped on b vitamins a couple days ago and also ordered lugols lol.

How much and how are you using it?

OP
A

Ableton

I noticed you said if you have a 4 hour feeding window your temps rise? I would guess this is from adrenaline from lack of fuel and it isn't a positive sign. You possibly even have a lack of calories unless you can stuff ~2500 in a short period of time.

overread this.
No, I articulated it wrongly.

My temps rise if I sleep 4 hours, eat, sleep again in contrast to sleeping 8 hours.

Maljam

overread this.
No, I articulated it wrongly.

My temps rise if I sleep 4 hours, eat, sleep again in contrast to sleeping 8 hours.

Well yes, food raises temperature, so this makes sense, but it doesn't mean it's a good thing, it's just a fact. You seem overly concerned with temperature and less on how you actually feel. Purposely disrupting your sleep seems like one of the most anti-health things you could do.

If you have been eating low fat for a long time, it might feel uncomfortable for a bit to raise fats, any change in diet can cause discomfort. If you read tyw's posts his theory was the body is now dealing with endotoxin through the creation of chylomicrons from eating fat, this would give you long term benefits for short term discomfort. Eating the way you currently are doesn't seem to have fixed anything, so at some point you will need to be honest with yourself and reassess what you are doing.

Maljam

Everything you have said, in my opinion, indicates a reliance on adrenaline when you are eating 80/10/10.

If you are relying on adrenaline, lowering of temperature can indicate you are doing something that will improve your health long term. Temperatures need to be thought about within context.

OP
A

Ableton

Well yes, food raises temperature, so this makes sense, but it doesn't mean it's a good thing, it's just a fact. You seem overly concerned with temperature and less on how you actually feel. Purposely disrupting your sleep seems like one of the most anti-health things you could do.

If you have been eating low fat for a long time, it might feel uncomfortable for a bit to raise fats, any change in diet can cause discomfort. If you read tyw's posts his theory was the body is now dealing with endotoxin through the creation of chylomicrons from eating fat, this would give you long term benefits for short term discomfort. Eating the way you currently are doesn't seem to have fixed anything, so at some point you will need to be honest with yourself and reassess what you are doing.

thanks. I know disrupting sleep is not ideal, but so is waking up in a hypothyroid state.
When I initially started peating I did eat a more traditionally high fat diet (more dairy fat especially) but ultimately didn't feel great throughout the days.

No amount of macro-switching seems to fix my waking temps. I will read up on the theory, but I simply do not see myself betting on a higher fat experiment that may or may not pay off months later. I was dealing with depression the last months, and simply cutting fats to a minimum seems to have improved it. I am not going through this again.

The health benefits so far have been tremendous from going very low fat. No depression. No brain fog and very clear thoughts. Zero fatigue, Fat loss (not that I had that much) while keeping same weight despite working out less and a better muscle tone. Improved digestion and great daytime temps. I even seem to be regrowing some hair (I will update this if it becomes more evident). I feel great, except when I wake up. It feels like the only missing puzzle piece right now.

I also want to emphasize again that my daytime temps have stayed the same whether I ate traditional splits for months, high fat for 3 weeks, or very low fat.

I am aware that it comes down to me having some sort of problem with processing fats (I will have to read up on that) but I am definitely not going to tackle this right now, I have other problems.

I want to work my way around it, and I see three ways to do it:

- basically just accept/ignore the bad waking temps. It's not that I can't live with them.
- refeed at night
- hop on thyroid

I am trying to figure out which option is the best for me.

OP
A

Ableton

Everything you have said, in my opinion, indicates a reliance on adrenaline when you are eating 80/10/10.

If you are relying on adrenaline, lowering of temperature can indicate you are doing something that will improve your health long term. Temperatures need to be thought about within context.
I think underactive adrenals can be a problem, too. And I think I might have this on higher fat.

Maljam

thanks. I know disrupting sleep is not ideal, but so is waking up in a hypothyroid state.
When I initially started peating I did eat a more traditionally high fat diet (more dairy fat especially) but ultimately didn't feel great throughout the days.

No amount of macro-switching seems to fix my waking temps. I will read up on the theory, but I simply do not see myself betting on a higher fat experiment that may or may not pay off months later. I was dealing with depression the last months, and simply cutting fats to a minimum seems to have improved it. I am not going through this again.

The health benefits so far have been tremendous from going very low fat. No depression. No brain fog and very clear thoughts. Zero fatigue, Fat loss (not that I had that much) while keeping same weight despite working out less and a better muscle tone. Improved digestion and great daytime temps. I even seem to be regrowing some hair (I will update this if it becomes more evident). I feel great, except when I wake up. It feels like the only missing puzzle piece right now.

I also want to emphasize again that my daytime temps have stayed the same whether I ate traditional splits for months, high fat for 3 weeks, or very low fat.

I am aware that it comes down to me having some sort of problem with processing fats (I will have to read up on that) but I am definitely not going to tackle this right now, I have other problems.

I want to work my way around it, and I see three ways to do it:

- basically just accept/ignore the bad waking temps. It's not that I can't live with them.
- refeed at night
- hop on thyroid

I am trying to figure out which option is the best for me.

The benefits you have had are astounding, many members on here would love to have even half of them. So is your only issue the number on the thermometer when you wake up? IMO you shouldn't even be considering that if your health has improved so much. Enjoy feeling better than you have done!

OP
A

Ableton

The benefits you have had are astounding, many members on here would love to have even half of them. So is your only issue the number on the thermometer when you wake up? IMO you shouldn't even be considering that if your health has improved so much. Enjoy feeling better than you have done!

the issue isn't the number
When your health gets better, you will realize how literally everything connects with each other. My joints aren't cracking anymore. My posture is improving. Tension in my body is going away. I'm intellectually back to my best. Heck, even facial symmetry is improving and some vellus hair is getting darker.

Whenever you are hypothyroid, you are effectively disrupting this (probably best conceptualized as a state of homeostasis).

I am pretty good right now. But I am not at my best yet.

Like I said, it's the missing puzzle piece.

OP
A

Ableton

I am basically trying to figure out if its better to disrupt sleep or sugar metabolism. I suppose I will just have to try it out to see mid- and possibly long term effects

Or pull the trigger on thyroid

OP
A

Ableton

But it's also quite obvious to me that humans adapt to their macros.

Inuit are not going to get the same macros as a tribe in the rain forest. Yet I am pretty sure both can be healthy. This isn't supposed to be a very low fat promotion, it's just what works for me best (I always sort of had an aversion to fat tbh, even before thinking about health)

Maljam

But it's also quite obvious to me that humans adapt to their macros.

Inuit are not going to get the same macros as a tribe in the rain forest. Yet I am pretty sure both can be healthy. This isn't supposed to be a very low fat promotion, it's just what works for me best (I always sort of had an aversion to fat tbh, even before thinking about health)

I agree different people need different diets, I thought your health was struggling when I mentioned you change your diet. What I will say is I would absolutely not disturb your sleep. Hope you get it worked out. :thumbsup:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals