Serum Triiodothyronine Concentration And Na+,k(+)-atpase Activity In Liver And Skeletal Muscle Are I

haidut

Forum Supporter
Re: Serum triiodothyronine concentration and Na+,K(+)-ATPase activity in liver and skeletal muscle are influenced by die

paymanz1 said:
hi , anyone have opinion on thins study?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7666254
it says lard is anti thyroid and unsaturated fats is good for thyroid and body composition.
its confusing

The abstract is a bit misleading, suggesting that intake of PUFA is beneficial while intake of saturated fat is bad. I suggest you look into the full study in the Section "Discussion" where they say that the differences in T3 were small and intake of PUFA lowered lipoprotein lipase through increased lipid peroxidation, which is bad. I believe we want lipoprotein lipase to be high, since it is heart protective, and that's what feeding lard caused. Also, the study says that lard did not inhibit levels of T4 (thyroxine levels were the same in all groups) but somehow inhibited the conversion of T4 into T3 through unknown mechanism. So, since T4 was not changed this means lard was not anti-thyroid per se.
I think it is an interesting study that deserves a follow up. Can you find something more recent by the same authors?

OP
P

paymanz

Re: Serum triiodothyronine concentration and Na+,K(+)-ATPase activity in liver and skeletal muscle are influenced by die

thanx for replay and explanation haidut .
yes there some other studies by them on this topic.
i found them by clicking on their names on that page
its one of them
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7722695

haidut

Forum Supporter

paymanz1 said:
thanx for replay and explanation haidut .
yes there some other studies by them on this topic.
i found them by clicking on their names on that page
its one of them
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7722695

From the second study:
"...These results suggest that the intake of animal fats rich in saturated fatty acids, compared with the intake of vegetable oils rich in monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fatty acids, decreases diet-induced thermogenesis by a decline of sympathetic activity in brown adipose tissue, resulting in the promotion of body fat accumulation."

In general you don't want thermogenesis induced by sympathetic activity since this means adrenalin is running high. You want mitochondrial uncoupling and as far as know saturated fats do that quite well. Not sure if that was measured by the study or if they looked strictly at sympathetic activity.

OP
P

paymanz

thanks haidut , please share any reference on that topic , i have to study on this

haidut

Forum Supporter

paymanz1 said:
thanks haidut , please share any reference on that topic , i have to study on this

If you search the forum for "uncoupling" or "uncouplers" you will find quite a few threads. The most discussed ones are dinitrophenol (DNP), saturated fats like butyric acid (butter) and coconut oil, aspirin, thyroid, caffeine, etc. If you search Peatarian.com for those keywords you will probably find additional info as well.