Serum Thyroid Hormone Changes(negatively) During Whole Body Hyperthermia

paymanz

its similar to sauna,isnt it?or even hot tube!

Serum thyroid hormone changes during whole body hyperthermia. - PubMed - NCBI

In order to elucidate changes in thyroid hormone metabolism during acute heat stress, we measured sequentially serum thyroxine (T4), triiothyronine (T3), and reverse T3 (rT3) levels in 5 patients with neoplasia during treatment with whole body hyperthermia. The core temperature was raised from 37.0 degrees C to 42.0 degrees C over a 2-hour period, maintained at 42.0 degrees C for 2 hours, and then cooled to 37.0 degrees C over 2 hours. This short period of severe hyperthermia produced a fivefold rise in rT3 and a fall in T3 levels to one half of baseline levels. T4 and free T4 levels increased slightly, but thyrotropin (measured in two patients) did not change. These changes in T3 and rT3 levels were detectable at the fourth hour after onset of hyperthermia, were maximal at 24 and 48 hours, and in one patient were uncorrected after 4 days. We conclude that this reciprocal change in T3 and rT3 levels is a response to stress and may represent in part adaptation to a high environmental temperature by the suppression of theromengic T3. Whole body hyperthermia of short duration for cancer therapy produces profound changes in the peripheral degradation of thyroxine, which last for several days. This must be considered in the management of patients receiving hyperthermia, and the technique itself may prove to be a useful model for the study of adaptation to heat stress.
upload_2017-2-12_21-12-0.png

Last edited:
OP
P

paymanz

Cold increases stress hormones,and stress hormones in general tend to lower thyroid hormones.

But that study you mentioned is not about connection between cold and thyroid function.it shows how brown fat activated as a result of hypothyroidism,to keep her temps in normal range.and right after correcting thyroid hormone levels her brown fat shrinked in volume,and became less active.

shepherdgirl

@paymanz
yes, that is true, the paper is not about the connection between cold and thyroid.
but my understanding is that brown fat can be predictably generated by a cold environment. People are intentionally taking cold showers and going into freezers to increase their brown fat, so cold thermogenesis can indirectly lower thyroid. (Of course there could be other ways to generate brown fat as well that have nothing to do with cold).

@paymanz
yes, that is true, the paper is not about the connection between cold and thyroid.
but my understanding is that brown fat can be predictably generated by a cold environment. People are intentionally taking cold showers and going into freezers to increase their brown fat, so cold thermogenesis can indirectly lower thyroid. (Of course there could be other ways to generate brown fat as well that have nothing to do with cold).

Do you mean taking ice baths will make you so warm that your thyroid will disengage?

shepherdgirl

@Such_Saturation
Actually that's really interesting Such - cold could make you hyperthermic could make you hypo could make you cold. Never thought of it that way... maybe there is something to it.
Is it possible that the body tends to swing from one extreme to the other, passing right by its equilibrium point?

shepherdgirl

I was thinking that the formation of brown fat via cold stress means an increase in pufa in the body, not to mention stress hormones. Peat has mentioned something to the effect that if the body fat accumulated in the cold were highly saturated, the fat would be hard as a rock in the cold weather.
Then in addition to this problem, the brown fat eats the rest of one's fat, causing oxidative stress, FFA release, etc., thereby inhibiting the thyroid further.

I was thinking that the formation of brown fat via cold stress means an increase in pufa in the body, not to mention stress hormones. Peat has mentioned something to the effect that if the body fat accumulated in the cold were highly saturated, the fat would be hard as a rock in the cold weather.
Then in addition to this problem, the brown fat eats the rest of one's fat, causing oxidative stress, FFA release, etc., thereby inhibiting the thyroid further.

Yes but in my opinion that's directly hurting the thyroid, not indirectly. And hyperthermia is helping the thyroid by bringing your setpoint back up to 37, which takes the strain off the thyroid, lowers stress, all sorts of things.

shepherdgirl

I agree that cold stress directly inhibits thyroid via stress hormones and unsaturated fat storage. But when cold stress forms brown fat and then the brown fat(BAT) further inhibits thyroid, that was what I meant by "indirect" inhibition of thyroid by cold stress.
I should have said that BAT (not cold thermogenesis) directly lowers thyroid.
While thermogenesis' bringing the setpoint back up is probably good in many ways, still BAT is achieving this warmth in a bad way, by eating body fat.

OP
P

paymanz

@paymanz

What I understand is that brownnfat activates during cold stress, from environment or even from hypothyroidism, BAT is here to defend your bnody is such situations.Its interesting that there is TSH receptors in BAT.

OP
P

paymanz

People who go in ice bath and into freezer to increase their BAT to lose weight?!why they choice such a hard way? I guess a lot of them have thyroid problems, and some t3 supplementation can make them produce more heat that BAT!

shepherdgirl

@paymanz
What I understand is that brownnfat activates during cold stress, from environment or even from hypothyroidism, BAT is here to defend your bnody is such situations.
That is what i think too.
Yes, people go into freezers etc., check out cold thermogenesis on YouTube. But I don't think it is a good idea for reasons above.