Serum N1-Methylnicotinamide Is Associated With Obesity And Diabetes In Chinese

Curiousman

Results:
Serum me-NAM was positively correlated with body mass index and waist circumference and negatively with high-density lipoprotein (P ≤ .03). The correlations remained highly significant in the multivariate adjusted correlation analyses. In men (n = 691), positive correlations between me-NAM and fasting glucose, low-density lipoprotein, liver function, and serum creatinine levels were also observed in both simple and multivariate adjusted correlation analyses. In multiple logistic regression analyses, elevated serum me-NAM was associated with higher risks for overweight/obesity (odds ratios, 2.36 and 5.78; 95% confidence intervals, 1.10–5.08 and 1.78–18.76 for men and women, respectively; P ≤ .03) and diabetes (odds ratios, 1.56 and 1.86; 95% confidence intervals, 1.10–2.22 and 1.05–3.31 for men and women, respectively; P ≤ .03).

Go to:
Conclusions:
This first large-scale population study shows that me-NAM, as an indicator of NNMT activity, is strongly associated with obesity and diabetes, supporting NNMT as a potential target for treating obesity and diabetes in humans.

Serum N1-Methylnicotinamide Is Associated With Obesity and Diabetes in Chinese

LeeLemonoil

N<sup>1</sup>-methylnicotinamide is a signalling molecule produced in skeletal muscle coordinating energy metabolism

N1-methylnicotinamide is a signalling molecule produced in skeletal muscle coordinating energy metabolism

Obesity is a major health problem, and although caloric restriction and exercise are successful strategies to lose adipose tissue in obese individuals, a simultaneous decrease in skeletal muscle mass, negatively effects metabolism and muscle function. To deeper understand molecular events occurring in muscle during weight-loss, we measured the expressional change in human skeletal muscle following a combination of severe caloric restriction and exercise over 4 days in 15 Swedish men. Key metabolic genes were regulated after the intervention, indicating a shift from carbohydrate to fat metabolism. Nicotinamide N-methyltransferase (NNMT) was the most consistently upregulated gene following the energy-deficit exercise. Circulating levels of N1-methylnicotinamide (MNA), the product of NNMT activity, were doubled after the intervention. The fasting-fed state was an important determinant of plasma MNA levels, peaking at ~18 h of fasting and being lowest ~3 h after a meal. In culture, MNA was secreted by isolated human myotubes and stimulated lipolysis directly, with no effect on glucagon or insulin secretion. We propose that MNA is a novel myokine that enhances the utilization of energy stores in response to low muscle energy availability. Future research should focus on applying MNA as a biomarker to identify individuals with metabolic disturbances at an early stage.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals