Serotonin Weakens Smell Perception

dookie

Actually, pregnant women have a much higher progesterone/estrogen ratio than non-pregnant women. Otherwise they would be able to maintain pregnancy. So, this example supports the study above as progesterone is anti-serotonin.

Doesn't it depend on when it is in the pregnancy? I think only last few months of the pregnancy are high in progesterone, no?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Doesn't it depend on when it is in the pregnancy? I think only last few months of the pregnancy are high in progesterone, no?

I think it is throughout the entire pregnancy. Yes, there are variations depending on what gestational week the woman is in, but from the moment of conception to the delivery pregnant women have higher progesterone levels (on average) than non-pregnant one. Without elevations in progesterone there can be no maintenance of pregnancy. The oxytocin given to induce labor acts as progesterone antagonist. In women with the so-called "threatened abortion" progesterone and/or vitamin E are the only effective therapies.

japanesedude

I always notice improved sense of smell from coffee intake.
When I use Lisuride,I sometimes get overwhelmed by the smell.
literally,I can't tolerate the smell of detergent.

I get exagerrated sensitivity to smells in migraine prodrome.

German symposium neurologist says that continous intake of mangesium-supplement is
prophylactic for future migraines,maybe it was magnesium-citrate.

tara

German symposium neurologist says that continous intake of mangesium-supplement is
prophylactic for future migraines,maybe it was magnesium-citrate.
Thanks for the thought. I supplement Mg daily. Also checked my diet recently and was surprised by how much I'm getting from food - around 400mg on the days I checked.

JoddyLee

Never noticed any interconnection between serotonin and smell perception. Mine sense of smell fully depends on my concentration and could be bad at any time when I'm not interested in sensing smells. :pileofpoop:

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I just found this and found it pretty interesting:

"When choosing the best action from several alternatives, we compare each value that depends on the balance between benefit and cost. Previous studies have shown that animals and humans with low brain serotonin (5-HT) level tend to choose smaller immediate reward"

The effect of 5-HT1A receptor antagonist on reward-based decision-making. - PubMed - NCBI

AJM

My first post.....be kind

I was just reading Dr Katharina Daltons (someone who Ray speaks often of) book, The PMS Bible. She sees this as a common symptom of PMS, when Estrogen is unopposed
by adequate Progesterone. I would draw from that , the culprit would be estrogen swelling the cells with water. It could be that serotonin would follow in the inflamation.

20200411_165809.jpg

Excellent read for both Men and Women