Serotonin Weakens Smell Perception

answersfound

Stop trying to be Haidut.

tara

I get exagerrated sensitivity to smells in migraine prodrome.

OP
S
Have you ever tried some glycine when it happens?

tara

Such_Saturation said:
Yes, but not often and maybe not enough. Do you have experience or knowledge of it being effective once the process is underway?

OP
S
tara said:
Such_Saturation said:
Yes, but not often and maybe not enough. Do you have experience or knowledge of it being effective once the process is underway?

No but I am interested :mrgreen:

tara

Such_Saturation said:
tara said:
Such_Saturation said:

No but I am interested :mrgreen:

OK, if I get any dramatic improvements associated with lots of glycine I will post. :)
I do have some gelatin most days, and therefore during most days with prodrome, and that has not been enough to prevent.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:

Nice find. From the study:
"...Odor-evoked synaptic input to glomeruli was attenuated by increased serotonin signaling through serotonin 2C (5-HT2C) receptors and amplified by decreased serotonergic activity. Intravital multiphoton calcium imaging revealed that 5-HT2C receptor activation amplified odor-evoked activity in a subset of juxtaglomerular cells and attenuated glutamate release from ORN terminals via GABA(B) receptors."

Guess what blocks these 5-HT2C "receptors"? Good old cyproheptadine. So, maybe taking some cypro would alleviate loss of smell or restore it if lost??

OP
S
So I took to snorting caffeine lately since it works so well and quick, but yesterday something went wrong because it burned very very hard for an hour or so. However I had a level of smell that I've never experienced. I went for a walk and smelled grass even though it hasn't been cut, smelled flowers from far away... at no point in a couple hours was I free from smelling anything. Pretty neat :alien:

Makaveli

I don't know if it's due to decreased serotonin but I notice bad body odor on men much more since peating. Sometimes it's so bad I almost gag but that never used to happen.

OP
S
@Such_Saturation , @haidut

Let's not forget that estrogen can make one too sensitive to smells. I think it's why pregnant women are extremely sensitive to smells?

Well for sure the nose was over excited, but it also makes you think how much of our senses are screened out on a normal basis.

shepherdgirl

maybe this explains the popularity of those scented candles that are so strong i can smell them from a block away...

lampofred

Explains why I have such a bad sense of smell, and why amphetamines make me smell things so strongly...

haidut

Forum Supporter

Let's not forget that estrogen can make one too sensitive to smells. I think it's why pregnant women are extremely sensitive to smells?

Actually, pregnant women have a much higher progesterone/estrogen ratio than non-pregnant women. Otherwise they would not be able to maintain pregnancy. So, this example supports the study above as progesterone is anti-serotonin.

Last edited:

Integra

Just my two cents: during PMS and around ovulation, I can tell what the neighbors are cooking for dinner, I can smell "out" people who are stressed out, and even other women on their cycle... :pompous: I always assumed it has something to do with high estrogen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals