Serotonin the cancer promoting hormone

Jon2547

Hi @Oraganic4me , did you read this article before posting it? The reason I'm asking that is that it appears to say opposite of what we know here at the Ray Peat forum:
"SSRIs and other serotonin blockers cause immune cells to recognize tumor cells again and eliminate them efficiently."

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

Hi @Oraganic4me , did you read this article before posting it? The reason I'm asking that is that it appears to say opposite of what we know here at the Ray Peat forum:
"SSRIs and other serotonin blockers cause immune cells to recognize tumor cells again and eliminate them efficiently."
My mistake....I thought it was saying that inhibiting serotonin was good for colon cancer, which I have , stage 4. I take famotadine to inhibit it. I'll delete the thread... When I figure out how , I mis read it I guess.

Jon2547

It is a confusing article. I read it twice and still was not for sure what they were saying.
From what i understand so far, serotonin and excessive estrogen are very problematic and the SSRIs are basically from the devil. I was on Cymbalta for ten years and have a difficult time processing how a loving and caring government could allow such a poison to be sold.

tankasnowgod

My mistake....I thought it was saying that inhibiting serotonin was good for colon cancer, which I have , stage 4. I take famotadine to inhibit it. I'll delete the thread... When I figure out how , I mis read it I guess.

It does basically say that, and I would think lowering and/or blocking the effects of serotonin would be beneficial in treating cancer.

Without serotonin, the immune system recognizes the cancer cells again​

Cancer cells use serotonin to boost the production of a molecule that is immunoinhibitory, known as PD-L1. This molecule binds to killer T cells, a specific type of immune cell that recognizes and eliminates tumor cells, and renders them dysfunctional. The cancer cells thus avoid being destroyed by the immune system. In experiments with mice, the researchers were able to show that SSRIs or peripheral serotonin synthesis inhibitors prevent this mechanism. “This class of antidepressants and other serotonin blockers cause immune cells to recognize and efficiently eliminate tumor cells again. This slowed the growth of colon and pancreatic cancers in the mice,” Clavien says.

They seem to pivot back to the whole "SSRI=good!" dogma (probably not to shake the big pharma boat too much), but as Haidut has pointed out, some of the SSRIs act as antagonists on certain serotonin receptors, and the article credits lowering serotonin in serum with heatlth improvements in mice.

While some SSRIs might have some beneficial effects, other substances (like famotidine) are probably better choices. Also, things like cyproheptadine, metergoline, Antibiotics, and Tryptophan Hydroxylase inhibitors. Maybe even a low tryptophan diet, with focus on things like gelatin and BCAAs. Like Haidut's Modified MAP protocol-

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

It does basically say that, and I would think lowering and/or blocking the effects of serotonin would be beneficial in treating cancer.

They seem to pivot back to the whole "SSRI=good!" dogma (probably not to shake the big pharma boat too much), but as Haidut has pointed out, some of the SSRIs act as antagonists on certain serotonin receptors, and the article credits lowering serotonin in serum with heatlth improvements in mice.

While some SSRIs might have some beneficial effects, other substances (like famotidine) are probably better choices. Also, things like cyproheptadine, metergoline, Antibiotics, and Tryptophan Hydroxylase inhibitors. Maybe even a low tryptophan diet, with focus on things like gelatin and BCAAs. Like Haidut's Modified MAP protocol-

Thanks for those tips, very helpful.... I am also going to look up Haidut's modified MAP protocol...