Serotonin Syndrome And Multivitamins

nostalgic

Hey.
Last Thursday I ended up at the er and was diagnosed with serotonin syndrome. Since then I can only eat butter and rice without getting severe symptoms again. Haven't tried to add a multivitamin back to the diet yet since I'm scared of worsening of the symptoms, but I can't go without nutrients for too long. Any idea if this is safe? Only tried a mouthful of sunflower seeds yesterday which made me much worse again so I'm still very sensitive. Thanks in advance.

Makrosky

Sunflower seeds?

Don't take this as rude please but : do you know anything about Ray Peat? Or you just landed on this forum after some google search? Again please don't take this as rude I just see you have only 1 message and you eat... seeds... sunflower seeds....that's no good.

OP
N

nostalgic

Sunflower seeds?

Don't take this as rude please but : do you know anything about Ray Peat? Or you just landed on this forum after some google search? Again please don't take this as rude I just see you have only 1 message and you eat... seeds... sunflower seeds....that's no good.
I've read some threads on here regarding SS so I thought I'd ask as well.

Constatine

Have you done anything to lower your serotonin? SS can be life threatening and may cause various neurological disorders.

paymanz

Lexapro mixed with flaxseed oil and a lot of tryptophan from food.
You still have to use that drug?

Because I think that causes the syndrome.

What symptoms you get when you eat other foods other than butter and rice?

OP
N

nostalgic

Have you done anything to lower your serotonin? SS can be life threatening and may cause various neurological disorders.
I've been on an insanely strict diet for 4 days now, but nothing else. Literally eaten nothing but butter and white rice.
You still have to use that drug?

Because I think that causes the syndrome.

What symptoms you get when you eat other foods other than butter and rice?
I haven't touched any pills since the SS, and since I ate just some sunflower seeds yesterday evening, I've been having severe anxiety, diarrhea, and some tingling sensation in my arms.

OP
N

nostalgic

Sounds like you were misdiagnosed.
I'm 100% that I wasn't. I suffer from cfs which apparently makes a lot of people extremely sensitive to meds. Took about 1/3 of a multivitamin and the body didn't react too badly to it so that's good at least. Maybe I can eat some protein in a few days.

Constatine

I'm 100% that I wasn't. I suffer from cfs which apparently makes a lot of people extremely sensitive to meds. Took about 1/3 of a multivitamin and the body didn't react too badly to it so that's good at least. Maybe I can eat some protein in a few days.
Have you tested for EBV?

Frankdee20

The ones to avoid that explicitly raise Serotonin via any mechanism are 5HTP, L-Tryptophan, Saint Johns Wort, and SAM-E

Jerimy Brown

Hey.
Last Thursday I ended up at the er and was diagnosed with serotonin syndrome. Since then I can only eat butter and rice without getting severe symptoms again. Haven't tried to add a multivitamin back to the diet yet since I'm scared of worsening of the symptoms, but I can't go without nutrients for too long. Any idea if this is safe? Only tried a mouthful of sunflower seeds yesterday which made me much worse again so I'm still very sensitive. Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for other potential food options, what has been pretty fantastic for me, is bone broth, with potato and carrot chopped and cooked until they are very soft. I have been struggling to find options for myself, so I ended up on this post because I was trying to find out if white rice would be OK for me ;). But yeah, your going to want to stay away from seeds and nuts. I have a gummy multi-vitamin I have been taking, that seems to be ok for me, but I did a lot of research and tried just a half one first, then worked my way up to the normal dosage... Lots of great info on this forum... This was all new to me, until a few days ago when I discovered this plethora of information ;)

Last edited:

Jerimy Brown

Recently had a bit of a relapse with my serotonin syndrome recovery, and seemed to be much more sensitive to everything than the initial go round. My wife just happened to be reading a book on health and shared a chapter of the book about drinking celery juice. I started drinking 16oz of celery juice, very first thing in the morning on an empty stomach about a week ago, and I can not express what this seems to have done for my guy health… I couldn’t eat anything but rice, and steamed potatoes a week ago, and this morning after my morning celery juice, I had turkey, potatoes, green beans, made a wild blueberry smoothie, and I am barely feeling any effects from it. I just had to come share this with this community, and hopefully it will really help someone else, the way it has helped me.

Probably depends on the type of juicer you have, but if you have a good masticating juicer, about 24 fl oz of celery, should yield 16 oz of pulp free juice. You should juice it as close to the time you plan to drinking it as possible. You can do it the night before if kept in an airtight mason jar, but I recommend juicing it right before you drink it. Drink this first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. From what I understand, you can do this twice a day for even more dramatic results (2nd time, make sure you wait at least 2 hours from previous meal), so I am getting ready to start twice daily juices today. One note of warning, I got really positive effects the first several days, then for a couple days, I got diarrhea after, but today the that went away, and I felt like I turned another corner with my gut health, so I tried a full fledged meal this morning,(mentioned above) and was shocked to find I did not get any of the usual negative effects. I always give the juice about .5-1hour before following it with food.

I really hope this helps others the way it has helped me.

Jerimy Brown

Hey everyone... Been a while since I have checked in, but things are progressing nicely in my recovery, eating well rounded healthy meals again, practicing yoga everyday, which has done more for my mental state than I know how to express, even though it never appealed to me before this ;). After that first mistake and relapsing myself like that, this has been a 6 month (or longer) marathon trudge of misery and discomfort, so needless to say I am overly cautious about everything now, even though I am feeling so good.

I wanted to share something with this group, just in case it might help someone.

A really good friend of mine saw something pretty interesting at the last CES, and said he thought of me after watching me go through all my gut issues with my serotonin syndrome.

I am in no way affiliated with this company and my recovery has been going so well, after my elimination diet, that I haven't purchased one of these yet, so can't speak to it's effectiveness. That being said, it's so cheap, that if I had seen this earlier on in my recovery, I would have happily dropped that money on anything that might have helped.

This might be helpful to anyone experiencing gut issues, whether from serotonin syndrome or not.

FoodMarble

Sharbysyd

Hey everyone... Been a while since I have checked in, but things are progressing nicely in my recovery, eating well rounded healthy meals again, practicing yoga everyday, which has done more for my mental state than I know how to express, even though it never appealed to me before this ;). After that first mistake and relapsing myself like that, this has been a 6 month (or longer) marathon trudge of misery and discomfort, so needless to say I am overly cautious about everything now, even though I am feeling so good.

Thanks for sharing the information.

I wanted to ask about Yoga. It's something I've been wanting to get into and have done a few workouts from YouTube videos but I'd like to know more about how you got into it, how you learned etc? I'd like to learn some poses that I can just do on my own without guidance.

Also, are you still doing the celery juice?

Thanks.