Serotonin & Self Esteem

gretchen

The current culture believes that high serotonin corresponds to higher self esteem, but we know that isn't true:
http://www.ascd.org/publications/educat ... ssion.aspx
Recent studies with human and nonhuman primates suggest that fluctuations in the neurotransmitter serotonin play an important role in regulating our level of self-esteem and our place within the social hierarchy. Researchers associate high serotonin levels in the brain with high self-esteem and social status and low serotonin levels with low self-esteem and social status. High serotonin levels are associated with the calm assurance that leads to smoothly controlled movements, and low serotonin levels with the irritability that leads to impulsive, uncontrolled, reckless, aggressive, violent, or suicidal behavior.

Is reducing serotonin effective for raising self esteem? Do you have higher or lower self esteem from eating Peatarian? What are some of the best ways to lower serotonin?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
G

gretchen

I certainly feel better than I did 6 months ago, but wonder if my self esteem is really improved. Well, whatever.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe having more energy will allow you to interact more which in turn might feel like a self esteem boost. I dunno, just speculating.

OP
G

gretchen

The reason I posted this has to do with an Enneagram website I found which correlated certain Ennegram types with having higher serotonin (serotonin to them= good) with more constructive typing; ie, being a "positive" Ennegram type.

lexis

Lot of psychotic drugs are experimented on prison inmates.If they can calmed down by high serotonic drugs,that's considered a 'success'.Thats how we get this confusing view about serotonin