Serotonin Removal?

milushq

I would like to know this too! As far as I know at the moment, you can only cut down tryptophan reach foods(like muscle meats, egg whites, bananas) and it will help with time. I also heard Dr. Peat once sad something about serotonin antogonist drugs, but he didn't mentioned the names of those. I assume, they are prescription drugs.

narouz

milushq said:
I would like to know this too! As far as I know at the moment, you can only cut down tryptophan reach foods(like muscle meats, egg whites, bananas) and it will help with time. I also heard Dr. Peat once sad something about serotonin antogonist drugs, but he didn't mentioned the names of those. I assume, they are prescription drugs.

I won't be able to put my hands on his quote now,
but I beleive,
when asked that same kind of question,
Dr. Peat said
"Coffee is the best chelator."

Usually I think of a chelator as being something that removes a heavy metal,
but I think Dr. Peat was using it in the context of PUFA removal.
I could be wrong.
I'll try to track down that reference.

And, more generally, Peat has said, simply,
that it is best to remove the PUFA slowly, over time.
Why?
I guess because he doesn't like running on (burning) stored fat
(which would be PUFA fat, for most).
And I guess because burning the PUFA fat quickly like that
would not be a safe removal--
it would sortuv re-poison one...?

Others, like Danny Roddy,
make the point (presumably taken from Peat)
that we all do, slowly, burn some fat all the time,
even if we are shifting or have shifted to burning sugars primarily.
And Peat would seem to believe that slow removal is the way to go.

kiran

milushq said:

I believe he has mentioned Ondansetron (also used to treat hangovers(http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... nts-think/" )!), Ketanserin and Tianeptine (SSRE, used as antidepressant)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
dsohei said:
Is there a way to flush excess serotonin from the gut or brain?
dsohei, welcome to the forum! :welcome

Definitely stay away from plantains if you can. You can read what Peat said about them at the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=189

narouz

narouz said:
milushq said:

I won't be able to put my hands on his quote now,
but I beleive,
when asked that same kind of question,
Dr. Peat said
"Coffee is the best chelator."

Usually I think of a chelator as being something that removes a heavy metal,
but I think Dr. Peat was using it in the context of PUFA removal.
I could be wrong.
I'll try to track down that reference.

And, more generally, Peat has said, simply,
that it is best to remove the PUFA slowly, over time.
Why?
I guess because he doesn't like running on (burning) stored fat
(which would be PUFA fat, for most).
And I guess because burning the PUFA fat quickly like that
would not be a safe removal--
it would sortuv re-poison one...?

Others, like Danny Roddy,
make the point (presumably taken from Peat)
that we all do, slowly, burn some fat all the time,
even if we are shifting or have shifted to burning sugars primarily.
And Peat would seem to believe that slow removal is the way to go.

I'm sorry, I think I lapsed into thinking the subject was PUFA Removal,
when in fact it is Serotonin Removal.
So nevermind. :oops:
(Although I think PUFA is complicit in some ways with serotonin production.)

milushq

Hi, Kiran! Thank you for the names of drugs. It's quit pricey without a prescription, I checked. I was thinking to suggest those to my sister, struggling with depression. I looked for the side effects and only found two worrying things - headaches and constipation. Maybe it worth to try, when nothing else helping?

bradley

LSD is a potent Serotonin antagonist. A more legal route would be Bromocriptine or Cabergoline.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
bradly, Welcome to the forum! :welcome

Now, can you please empty your pockets? We need to check you for ummmmm yeh, serotonin antagonists. :rolling

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Was reading Dr. Peats article about "Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging" and found this:

"The varied antiinflammatory and protective effects of glycine can be thought of as an antiserotonin action. For example, serotonin increases the formation of TNF (tumor necrosis factor, also called cachectin), glycine inhibits it. In some situations, glycine is known to suppress the formation of serotonin. Antagonists of serotonin can potentiate glycine's effects (Chesnoy-Marchais, et al., 2000). People who ate traditional diets, besides getting a lower concentration of tryptophan, were getting a large amount of glycine in their gelatin-rich diet.

Gelatin, besides being a good source of glycine, also contains a large amount of proline, which has some antiexcitatory properties similar to glycine.

If a half-pound of steak is eaten, it would probably be reasonable to have about 20 grams of gelatin at approximately the same time. Even a higher ratio of gelatin to muscle meat might be preferable.

Carbon dioxide, high altitude, thyroid, progesterone, caffeine, aspirin, and decreased tryptophan consumption protect against excessive serotonin release. When sodium intake is restricted, there is a sharp increase in serotonin secretion. This accounts for some of the antiinflammatory and diuretic effects of increased sodium consumption--increasing sodium lowers both serotonin and adrenalin."

narouz

Charlie said:
Was reading Dr. Peats article about "Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging" and found this:
"If a half-pound of steak is eaten, it would probably be reasonable to have about 20 grams of gelatin at approximately the same time. Even a higher ratio of gelatin to muscle meat might be preferable.
"

I've been aware of this for quite a while, and have tried to follow Peat's guideline about eating gelatin with meat to sortuv rebalance the amino acid profile.

But, if I'm looking at my Great Lakes gelatin info correctly, I would have to consume about 3 TABLEspoons of gelatin if I have like an 8oz steak.
That's a lot of gelatin! :eek:

(I have fallen short. :cry: )

OP
D

dsohei

I eat a half cup gelatin a day, about 50 grams. It may be healthy but does not reduce serotonin as the topic of this post.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
dsohei, yeh sorry about that. I guess I kinda went a bit off topic.

narouz

dsohei said:
I eat a half cup gelatin a day, about 50 grams. It may be healthy but does not reduce serotonin as the topic of this post.

Well, dsohei, I do believe that Peat has said
that the idea of eating the gelatin with the meat
is to rebalance the amino acid profile of that meat
to make it less stressful to the system.

And I would assume a big part of that "system"
would include the digestive tract
where if I'm not mistaken Peat has said
90% of serotonin is made or resides
(in amounts dependent upon foods eaten)...

...so, it would seem that consumption of gelatin
could be considered part of "serotonin removal"
(or at least part of an effort to not make serotonin in the first place)...?

OP
D

dsohei

Probably true, but I've experimented with zero-100g of gelatin a day, with only minor benefits at the 25-50g range, and nothing at all like the anti serotonin benefits of 20mcg LSD.

Birdie

How do you determine the rate or amount of serotonin removal, dohsei? I guess you said anti-serotonin benefits which might be different than removal... But, please explain for me. Thanks.

OP
D

dsohei

I have to.go. by feeling. Too much is depression, no motivation, leaky stools and feeling sluggish. Not enough is too analytical, no sense of humor, constipation. But those can also be caused by too much. So i err on the side of always wanting to.block.or remove serotonin, same as estrogen

milushq

"I eat a half cup gelatin a day, about 50 grams. It may be healthy but does not reduce serotonin as the topic of this post."
Dsohei, I'm sorry, but Charlie was right on the topic with some exellent quotes of Dr.Peat about connection of tryptophan reach foods and serotonin.
Carbon dioxide, high altitude, thyroid, progesterone, caffeine, aspirin, and decreased tryptophan consumption protect against excessive serotonin release. When sodium intake is restricted, there is a sharp increase in serotonin secretion. This accounts for some of the antiinflammatory and diuretic effects of increased sodium consumption--increasing sodium lowers both serotonin and adrenalin."
I think, he explained perfectly what to do to reduse serotonin release, you don't just need to eat a lot of gelatin, but you need to reduce your tryptophan reach food intake and do all of the other things he describes above.

OP
D

dsohei

I disagree. There is more at play. I can do all the normal peat ***t and still have excess serotonin. I can take 20mcg of LSD dnd be fine for a few days.