Serotonin Removal?

peatarian

dannyroddy said:
Interesting read. Thanks for your replies Peatarian.

In a recent interview Peat noted that prolactin was best around 4-7 for males and higher for women.

Were the values you posted for women? Or did Peat change his mind?

I regularly see people with libido/hair/mood problems with prolactin in the 9-12 range (along with increased serotonin, 150+).

EDIT: Hah, Charlie can you remove the practitioner status from my name?

Just to make sure there is no confusion about conversion factors between units. You are talking about ng/ml?
I sent Ray Peat blood work in ng/ml last year and he answered prolactin should be between 9 - 12. He didn't specify it was meant for women but since I am a woman that makes perfect sense. It makes sense, too that it can be higher for women but I have been wondering lately if there is a state of 'too little prolactin' and what the symptoms would look like.

D

dannyroddy

peatarian said:
Just to make sure there is no confusion about conversion factors between units. You are talking about ng/ml?
I sent Ray Peat blood work in ng/ml last year and he answered prolactin should be between 9 - 12. He didn't specify it was meant for women but since I am a woman that makes perfect sense. It makes sense, too that it can be higher for women but I have been wondering lately if there is a state of 'too little prolactin' and what the symptoms would look like.

After I wrote that, I stayed up and read all of your posts and found out that you were a woman, so I think the 9-12 makes more sense now ;)

Yes, ng/ml.

Again, the information your posting is valuable and I appreciate all the time and effort you've put into your responses.

BingDing

Has anybody looked at donating platelets, since serotonin accumulates in platelets? I donated blood last week for the first time in forever and the donor center has machines that separates out platelets (or serum or double red blood cells) and puts everything else back into you. You can give platelets every 14 days, or whole blood every 4th time if you max it out. Thoughts?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I donate whole blood every 2 months.

About platelets, I just dont really feel right about the blood circulating through a machine then returning back to me.

jyb

BingDing said:
Has anybody looked at donating platelets, since serotonin accumulates in platelets? I donated blood last week for the first time in forever and the donor center has machines that separates out platelets (or serum or double red blood cells) and puts everything else back into you. You can give platelets every 14 days, or whole blood every 4th time if you max it out. Thoughts?

Would you get the same benefits in terms of iron reduction?

jyb

Charlie said:
I donate whole blood every 2 months.

About platelets, I just dont really feel right about the blood circulating through a machine then returning back to me.

Isn't every 2 months too often and risk of getting iron too low (given you are on the Peat diet)? The topic of iron reduction is mentioned even by more conventional writers, and they usually have a cut off (100 IU) for the ferritin level. I think you would go below that with every 2 months. But I don't know Peat's cutoff.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I dunno, guess I will find out though. I do have some blood tests that I have ordered just haven't gotten around to taking them yet.

BingDing

jyb said:
Would you get the same benefits in terms of iron reduction?

No, the iron is in the red blood cells. The 56 day rule for whole blood is a national standard and supposedly the RBCs are replenished in 56 days. Platelets are replenished in as little as three days.

I guess testing is the only way to know if iron goes too low.

Dean

I think I read in some other thread that Peatarian isn't posting here anymore, but twice in this thread she/he? referenced weather related problems? Does anyone know what was meant by that?

kettlebell

Dean said:
I think I read in some other thread that Peatarian isn't posting here anymore, but twice in this thread she/he? referenced weather related problems? Does anyone know what was meant by that?

I believe she was referring to long durations of little/no sunlight which raises stress hormones (Estrogen, Serotonin etc), lowers metabolism and therefore pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA production.

Many people are very sensitive to not having much sunlight. It poses two problems - No vitamin D production and no resetting of the Cytochrome Oxidase enzyme which is required for oxidative metabolism. This results in copper being lowered in the body and iron raising in its place. Not good.

Pop culture as you know calls it Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Dean

Thanks kettlebell, I suspected that was probably it, but the way it was phrased seemed like it was more of an intermittent thing than seasonal. I've had long term issues surrounding sudden changes in barometric pressure and dealing with emotional/psychological effects of windy days and thought perhaps it was possible I could connect something else to serotonin excess.

kettlebell

Dean said:
Thanks kettlebell, I suspected that was probably it, but the way it was phrased seemed like it was more of an intermittent thing than seasonal. I've had long term issues surrounding sudden changes in barometric pressure and dealing with emotional/psychological effects of windy days and thought perhaps it was possible I could connect something else to serotonin excess.

Hi Dean,

There may be more to it. The fact that you are having those symptoms in various weather conditions showa they are, for some reason, causing you to have an increased stress response.

Visual and vestibular issues may come into play on windy and or different barometric pressure days. If your eyes and balance systems are not functioning optimally it inevitably causes increased stress.

http://www.zhealth.net/articles/the-eyes-have-it

If you type Z Health into youtube there are lots of videos on various things relating to this neural training approach.

Dean

Interesting kettlebell. I've had vision therapy recommended to me a few times in the last few years. I can't afford it though. Several hundred dollars for the initial exams/diagnosis and then six months or more of 2x/wk therapy sessions.

I'll have to read more about the vision/weather difficulty connection. It would be interesting to know and to make some sense of some more of the riddles of my life. I have to admit it's a little depressing though to know that if even through Peating, I get my gut and brain straightened out, I'll still be effed because of my eyes.

Oh well, half of a mess will be better than continuing as an all-out mess.

kettlebell

The Z Health R-Phase Dvd has Visual training drills included. I have it and its great. I think the "Quick Start" Dvd also has some but don't quote me on that. Bang for your buck for $85 or $35

Im not affiliated by the way.

Dean

Cool. Thanks kettlebell. That's quite a bit more affordable than vision therapy.

kettlebell

Sure is! If you do go for it do all the drills (Joint mobility as well as visual). Its very much worth it.

Lisbon boy

I wonder if trazodone couldn't be a tool in this fight against serotonin...
It looks like at very low doses ( around 25 mgs or even less ) it blocks 5HT2a very strongly, without any afinity for other 5HT receptors.
http://www.cnsspectrums.com/UserDocs/Ar ... _Stahl.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT2A_receptor

This receptor was first given importance as the target of serotonergic psychedelic drugs such as LSD. - Wiki

Ray Peat in his article " autonomic systems " made a reference to this product in a study :

Eur J Pharmacol 1982 Jul 30;81(4):569-76. Actions of serotonin antagonists on dog coronary artery. Brazenor RM, Angus JA. “Serotonin released from platelets may initiate coronary vasospasm in patients with variant angina. If this hypothesis is correct, serotonin antagonists without constrictor activity may be useful in this form of angina. We have investigated drugs classified as serotonin antagonists on dog circumflex coronary artery ring segments in vitro. Ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, bromocriptine, lisuride, ergometrine, ketanserin, trazodone, cyproheptadine and pizotifen caused non-competitive antagonism of serotonin concentration-response curves. In addition, ketanserin, trazodone, bromocriptine and pizotifen inhibited noradrenaline responses in concentrations similar to those required for serotonin antagonism. All drugs with the exception of ketanserin, cyproheptadine and pizotifen showed some degree of intrinsic constrictor activity.” “Of the drugs tested, ketanserin may be the most useful in variant angina since it is a potent 5HT antagonist, lacks agonist activity and has alpha-adrenoceptor blocking activity.”

Rayser

Yes. Sometimes it seems to work wonders but I feel the ozone even after a few hours.