Serotonin rebound after cypro ? Possible ?

Makrosky

Is it possible that you get a serotonin/histamine rebound after using cypro in doses of 4-8mg per day for one week and a half ?

My god, I stopped using it monday and I feel like I have the flu that won't go away. Very uncomfortable.

I didn't make a connection until now. Maybe is it just a rebound of serotonin/histamine ?

Peata

Did you stop cold turkey?

When I was on it for a while, I had to taper off, especially when it was time to go off it completely. I would have to take a tiny bit of the cypro for another day and then I was fine.

But yeah, I would get sort of flu-like symptoms like SSRI withdrawals, but a lot milder.

I don't know if this is a rebound of serotonin and/or cortisol, hopefully haidut or someone can give info.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Peata said:

When I was on it for a while, I had to taper off, especially when it was time to go off it completely. I would have to take a tiny bit of the cypro for another day and then I was fine.

But yeah, I would get sort of flu-like symptoms like SSRI withdrawals, but a lot milder.

I don't know if this is a rebound of serotonin and/or cortisol, hopefully haidut or someone can give info.

Oh, ****! That explains then ... Yes Peata I stopped cold turkey. I didn't think for a week or two of 4-8mg daily use I had to taper off. Jeeez!

Does everybody have to taper off ? Or it just depends ?

Hope other can provide more info/experiences.

Cheers!

answersfound

Makrosky said:
post 106844
Peata said:

Oh, f***! That explains then ... Yes Peata I stopped cold turkey. I didn't think for a week or two of 4-8mg daily use I had to taper off. Jeeez!

Cheers!

There is no rebound if you are supporting metabolism. You may need thyroid hormone or otherwise you just revert back to your poor state

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

answersfound said:
Makrosky said:
post 106844
Peata said:

Oh, f***! That explains then ... Yes Peata I stopped cold turkey. I didn't think for a week or two of 4-8mg daily use I had to taper off. Jeeez!

Cheers!

There is no rebound if you are supporting metabolism. You may need thyroid hormone or otherwise you just revert back to your poor state

But cypro is supposed to be able to shift metabolism in the right direction by it's own, no?? That's the point of taking it.

answersfound

Makrosky said:
answersfound said:
Makrosky said:
post 106844
Peata said:

Cheers!

But cypro is supposed to be able to shift metabolism in the right direction by it's own, no?? That's the point of taking it.

Yes. But it is suppressing stress hormones to allow metabolism to take over. If there is not sufficient thyroid hormone or caffeine, for example, the body will revert back to stress hormone reliance.

Peata

Makrosky said:

I think it just depends, and not everybody has to. I did not get withdrawal the last time I was on it after one month, but I was only taking low doses each day - under 2 mg. Maybe I did not have withdrawals because it was a low dose, or maybe it is from what answersfound is saying and my metabolism was better supported from all the caffeine.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
post 106826 Did you stop cold turkey?

I don't think it is a rebound, since cyproheptadine does NOT lower serotonin levels, it just blocks serotonin's effect. What it does do is sensitize the "receptor" to serotonin as all antagonists would do. So, when you stop you have greater cell sensitivity to serotonin. Sensitivity is not a bad thing, but without proper thyroid function it can have some downsides. This may be one of the reasons why Ray thinks taking anti-serotonin drugs long term is unadvisable. Raising CO2 is the best way to control serotonin naturally, so if your thyroid recover while taking cypro you should have no issues with "rebound".

If you think about it, you have a normal (or so they say) state of being that you are used to, and after days of being beneath that you then go back to it. It's impossible that this shift back to previous state would go unnoticed to your conscious awareness. If there were no differences between on cyproheptadine and off cyproheptadine, why take the stuff in the first place?