Serotonin puts the brakes on libido, by lowering dopamine

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nothing really surprising, as far as Peatarians are concerned, in the findings of this study. I am only posting it here as it is one of the few that officially acknowledge that serotonergic drugs cause sexual dysfunction - i.e. something mainstream medicine has vehemently denied for decades. As such, it corroborates the approach of using anti-serotonin drugs such as cyproheptadine or low-dose (25mg-50mg daily) Benadryl, as well as dopamine agonists of the ergot class for the treatment of so-called PSSD - the persistent sexual dysfunction induced by serotonergic drugs. The study also explains why/how chronic stress inhibits libido - i.e. stress is known to powerfully elevate serotonin and lower dopamine. And last but not least, since these neurotransmitters play a key role in reproductive health as well, the study below demonstrates how/why stress causes infertility (in both sexes). The good news is that the therapies I mentioned above are applicable for both the lack of libido and infertility, whether caused by stress or by pharmacological poisons such as SSRI drugs.
Hypothalamic dopamine neurons motivate mating through persistent cAMP signalling - PubMed
"...The researchers propose that elevated serotonin may act as a brake on dopamine signaling in mating-related circuits, thereby decreasing libido—a side effect that nearly 75% of patients taking SSRIs experience. The scientists suggest that future therapies could target the newly identified dopamine-releasing neurons that regulate the drive to mate to alleviate the problem, thereby eliminating a major reason patients discontinue taking antidepressant medications."

Momado965

Is it high dosage or long term use of ergot derivatives like lisuride or metergoline that cause dopamine downregulation?
I dont know if this a valid concern or just another cliche of misunderstandings. But what I undedstlod so far form the podcast is that sufficient protein intake protects against the negative effects of dopamine agonists. Also, I noticed metergoline makes dieting easier. My protocol is was always progesterone, tyronene and keeping vitamin d levels in check but with metergoline its a different sotry. Dieting is much more tolerable. My dose for dieting is 7-8 drops either once or divided.

Last edited:

success23

Does dopamine only inhibits tryptophan hydroxylase or is there other mechanism that lowers serotonine?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals