Serotonin is elevated in COVID- 19-associated diarrhoea

Mito

“In summary, we found 5-HT levels are markedly elevated in COVID-19 associated diarrhoea. Elevated 5-HT levels in diarrhoea are also correlated with increased IL-6. These data suggest increased 5-HT may contribute to diarrhoea and the severity of COVID-19.”

139DCECA-DEAE-43EF-8800-F00D49F68275.jpeg

Last edited:
J

jb116

In the past when I used to get flu, it was always accompanied by diarrhea.

lvysaur

exactly what I experienced and am still experiencing.

onset of diarrhea, coupled with COMPLETE loss of appetite (IL-6 symptom). Also coupled with severe reduction in urine, the small bit of urine produced is red (tested, no blood cells). Also coupled with yellow skin, severe downward canthal tilt, extreme fatigue, and loss of libido. Symptoms are temporarily eased by vitamin C but can come back.

This symptom phase is ALWAYS preceded by large internal hemorrhoids. After the diarrhea/other symptoms onset, the hemorrhoids completely vanish.

Perry Staltic

onset of diarrhea, coupled with COMPLETE loss of appetite (IL-6 symptom). Also coupled with severe reduction in urine, the small bit of urine produced is very red (I've had it tested, no blood cells). Also coupled with extremely yellow skin, and severely downward canthal tilt.

Have you had your serotonin level tested?

Perry Staltic

This is from the same publication. Pretty impressive. Serotonin is really elevated in severe/critical cases of covid, but elevated above healthy in all cases of covid.

ErFuiXOUcAAHBeO

lvysaur

I added more detail after you quoted me, in case you want to reread.

Have not had serotonin tested, but almost guaranteed to be high, most long-term COVID people are.

lvysaur

Another thing worth mentioning is that reduced urine output is a hallmark symptom of sepsis. I am not sure if maybe I am experiencing some sort of "pre-sepsis".

The symptoms were the worst back in March/April, but I still get them now--they are just slightly muted.

Perry Staltic

Have not had serotonin tested, but almost guaranteed to be high, most long-term COVID people are.

Remember when I mentioned that long covid might be mast cell activation syndrome? Possibly connected to NAD+ deficiency, which niacin (B3) improves.

Simply, their theory is that COVID19 causes NAD+ depletion, some people with vitamin deficiencies, existing NAD+ depletion or genetic deficits in energy metabolism have long term NAD+ dysfunction. The body tries to make up for low NAD+ by feeding in tryptophan, which is the precursor for serotonin, causing low serotonin. Mast cells are activated locally to release serotonin instead, leading to histamine release and mast cell activation issues. Neurological effects are due to low serotonin and NAD+, which also effects the microbiome and general homoeostasis.

Last edited:

gaze

onset of diarrhea, coupled with COMPLETE loss of appetite (IL-6 symptom). Also coupled with severe reduction in urine, the small bit of urine produced is red (tested, no blood cells). Also coupled with yellow skin, severe downward canthal tilt, extreme fatigue, and loss of libido. Symptoms are temporarily eased by vitamin C but can come back.

This symptom phase is ALWAYS preceded by large internal hemorrhoids. After the diarrhea/other symptoms onset, the hemorrhoids completely vanish.
do you/did you eat starch throughout the virus?

lvysaur

Remember when I mentioned that long covid might be mast cell activation syndrome?
Yeah, I've been looking at that. I have a lot of lifelong symptoms suggestive of mast cell/histamine issues. These symptoms were also very intermittent, and so are my COVID symptoms.

However, I believe the serotonin is mainly released from platelets? Platelets contain 90% of the body's serotonin. (and ofc they know that COVID patients have low srtnin in their platelets, and high srtnin in plasma, meaning platelet degranulation).

I ALSO have high INR/prothrombin time. This also makes perfect sense in context--the platelets are degranned to give serotonin, so now the blood can't clot as fast.

lvysaur

do you/did you eat starch throughout the virus?
Yes, but only because I had so little appetite that I literally couldn't eat meat. I tried eating literally 3 slices of chicken once and it gave me stomach upset, I was defecating 5x a day back in March.

gaze

Yes, but only because I had so little appetite that I literally couldn't eat meat. I tried eating literally 3 slices of chicken once and it gave me stomach upset, I was defecating 5x a day back in March.
thats scary stuff. Im not sure what I'd do in that position, at times when I've had serotonin induced bowel movements from irritation, I slip into learned helplessness quite easily, because I'm already underweight. Cutting starch has helped a lot with preventing that, but if I needed calories I would probably resort to the same. I would probably try to stick to the exact peat diet as best as I can, emphasizing oysters, eggs, salty cheese, OJ, to try and keep the vitamin and mineral intake high. You have the high bilirubin issue as well right if I remember correctly? I also have platelet issues like you, with high bilirubin, I wonder how much the bilirubin plays a role

Perry Staltic

I ALSO have high INR/prothrombin time. This also makes perfect sense in context--the platelets are degranned to give serotonin, so now the blood can't clot as fast.

Actually platelet activation and degranulation of serotonin promotes thrombosis quite a bit.

J

jb116

I wonder why in the past people weren't interested in these symptoms when it was "just" flu?

Perry Staltic

I wonder why in the past people weren't interested in these symptoms when it was "just" flu?

Most doctors don't know how to diagnose serotonin syndrome (SS), so symptoms of serotonin toxicity get diagnosed as something else. Before covid it was probably diagnosed as flu or any number of other things, but now it's all covid. Considering how many different meds, supplements, OTC, etc. can cause SS it has to be a fairly common condition, albeit mild in most cases. But the trouble starts IMO when people show up at hospitals with mild to moderate SS (from let's say taking an SSRI with a proton pump inhibitor), get diagnosed with covid and then receive treatments that further exacerbate SS, like opioids, antiemetics, antihistamines, antivirals (like Ritonavir given for covid) and mechanical ventilation. Then severe SS ensures causing more platelet activation and release of serotonin which causes pulmonary vasoconstriction, mediation of procoagulent factors, pulmonary microthrombi, reduced lung gas exchange, multiple organ failure and death - basically the pathophysiology of severe covid.

ICU meds can bring on serotonin syndrome​

Serotonin syndrome can easily develop in the intensive care unit, particularly when patients receive opiates and antiemetic medications in addition to the serotonin-enhancing medications they may already be taking.

“These medications are pervasively present, and they are notorious for drug-drug interactions,” Dr. Alejandro Rabinstein said at the annual meeting of the American Neurological Association. “And, in the ICU, we often use them without even realizing it. The combination can be enough to cause serotonin syndrome, which is sometimes recognized too late, and can have serious consequences.”

J

jb116

Most doctors don't know how to diagnose serotonin syndrome (SS), so symptoms of serotonin toxicity get diagnosed as something else. Before covid it was probably diagnosed as flu or any number of other things, but now it's all covid. Considering how many different meds, supplements, OTC, etc. can cause SS it has to be a fairly common condition, albeit mild in most cases. But the trouble starts IMO when people show up at hospitals with mild to moderate SS (from let's say taking an SSRI with a proton pump inhibitor), get diagnosed with covid and then receive treatments that further exacerbate SS, like opioids, antiemetics, antihistamines, antivirals (like Ritonavir given for covid) and mechanical ventilation. Then severe SS ensures causing more platelet activation and release of serotonin which causes pulmonary vasoconstriction, mediation of procoagulent factors, pulmonary microthrombi, reduced lung gas exchange, multiple organ failure and death - basically the pathophysiology of severe covid.

ICU meds can bring on serotonin syndrome​

Yes this is true. Afterall for myself, it was finding Peat and understanding what serotonin really is that shed light on the matter, especially having struggled with IBD. So therein lies the problem: the ignorance of the public leads to this vicious cycle. And the evil genius is using the common SS that's always been, and making something new out of it.

Perry Staltic

The back and forth between innovative, compassionate doctors like Farid, who are willing and able to think outside of the box and take risks for the sake of their patients, and doctors who are unwilling to incur the risk of stepping outside of rote and protocols, and who malign doctors like Farid, fascinates me. IMO it really provides insight into why we are where we are.