Serotonin is elevated in COVID- 19-associated diarrhoea

OP
Mito

Mito

compassionate doctors like Farid, who are willing and able to think outside of the box and take risks for the sake of their patients
Good to know there are still some of them out there.

OP
Mito

Mito

1610746662581.png

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

For a better picture of what's really happening (hint: it's not only the virus), Farid needs to include hospital treatments that increase serotonin. He does dance around platelet release of serotonin from hyperdistention of alveoli during mechanical ventilation (lower right corner of graphic), and I've seen him counsel other MDs to consider the possibility that their use of serotonergic opiates like fentanyl on intubated patients is causing patients' deteriorating conditions. But there are numerous others he is not considering.

And it's not just serotonin causing problems. A number of the molecules stored in platelets shown in that graphic are prothrombotic (VEGF, vWF, P-selectin, etc) and are activated by mechanical ventilation through barotrauma and biotrauma (biochemical release via mechanotransduction). Here's an example:

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

Here's another example of a severe covid biomarker, NLRP3 inflammasome, that prior research shows can be activated by mechanical ventilation. These guys think only the virus is causing problems, but decades of research implicate their own treatments.

Here we demonstrate that the NLRP3 inflammasome is activated in response to SARS-CoV-2 infection and is active in COVID-19 patients

Since the exact pathways involved in the immune system’s response to mechanical ventilation are unknown, researchers closely examined the role of the NLRP3 inflammasome. The up-regulation of the NLRP3 gene was analyzed in respiratory epithelial cells and alveolar macrophages obtained from ventilated patients. In addition, mice were treated with mechanical ventilation to further understand the role of the NLRP3 inflammasome in lung injury.

Findings showed that in patients ventilated for five hours during elective surgery, NLRP3 levels in alveolar macrophages were increased.

Perry Staltic

Here's another example of a severe covid biomarker, NLRP3 inflammasome, that prior research shows can be activated by mechanical ventilation. These guys think only the virus is causing problems, but decades of research implicate their own treatments.

FWIW

Perry Staltic

Fentanyl is serotonergic (activates serotonin receptors and inhibits reuptake) and is used frequently in ICUs. Other serotonergic meds are also used frequently in ICUs (other anesthetics, anxiolytics, antiemetics, antivirals).

ddjd

ive been following this guy's tweets for last few weeks and ordered a sizeable quantity of cyproheptadine. if i get covid, i know what I'll be taking immediately

Perry Staltic

Here's how fentanyl increases serotonin (5-HT). It stimulates degranulation of 5-HT into the synaptic cleft (left) and inhibits its re-uptake from the synaptic cleft (lower right). Other opioids used in ICUs do the same things. Anxiolytics used in ICUs can act as MAO-A inhibitors (upper right) that prevent metabolism of 5-HT. Many psychotropic drugs (eg, SSRI) that ICU patients may be on also inhibit 5-HT re-uptake (lower right). The antiviral covid drug ritonavir inhibits a liver enzyme responsible for metabolizing serotonergic drugs.

So serotonergic polypharmacy that can cause 5-HT toxicity is quite complex. One study found that as many as 85% of doctors didn't know how to diagnose it. Adding to this complexity, barotrauma caused by mechanical ventilation causes platelets to release 5-HT.

Is anyone seeing a pattern?

12630_2017_918_Fig1_HTML.gif

tankasnowgod

For a better picture of what's really happening (hint: it's not only the virus), Farid needs to include hospital treatments that increase serotonin. He does dance around platelet release of serotonin from hyperdistention of alveoli during mechanical ventilation (lower right corner of graphic), and I've seen him counsel other MDs to consider the possibility that their use of serotonergic opiates like fentanyl on intubated patients is causing patients' deteriorating conditions. But there are numerous others he is not considering.

And it's not just serotonin causing problems. A number of the molecules stored in platelets shown in that graphic are prothrombotic (VEGF, vWF, P-selectin, etc) and are activated by mechanical ventilation through barotrauma and biotrauma (biochemical release via mechanotransduction). Here's an example:

Forget about hospital treatments that increase serotonin. The current medical experiments being run on the population increase serotonin!

The lungs are one of the biggest deactivators of serotonin, and wearing a mask compromises that function. So, chronic mask wearing increases serotonin.

I think chronic isolation also increases serotonin. So, lockdowns also do a good job.

FWIW, I've been taking cypro from 4-8mg a day ever since August. It's been mighty helpful.

Perry Staltic

The lungs are one of the biggest deactivators of serotonin, and wearing a mask compromises that function. So, chronic mask wearing increases serotonin.

I'd love to know more about this. Do you have any research links handy I could look at? I'm assuming you're implying that hypoxemia inhibits lung MAO activity?

Perry Staltic

Study of covid patients' lungs showing that severe small vessel vasoconstriction happens in the absence of edema. Serotonin to blame?

OP
Mito

Mito

Any idea what the shelf life of Idea Labs crypto is?
“FDA mandates that all liquid products are advertised with no more than 12 months of shelf life, even though the active ingredient may still be intact in the bottle.”

Perry Staltic

“FDA mandates that all liquid products are advertised with no more than 12 months of shelf life, even though the active ingredient may still be intact in the bottle.”

Chemically speaking, does crypto ever go bad?

Perry Staltic

Does anyone know if extracellular or serum serotonin levels are elevated in people who take SSRIs? Not referring to platelet serotonin.

OP
Mito

Mito

Does anyone know if extracellular or serum serotonin levels are elevated in people who take SSRIs? Not referring to platelet serotonin.