Serotonin In Fruit

BaconBits

oh that serotonin, pineapples, bananas,plums, tomatoes. I am just interested does the ripening lower the serotonin or not?

I just find that out and I have a ton of tomatoes,cucumbers and zucchinis in my garden?
Are zucchinis and cucumbers OK?

Mittir

I did a quick googling and this is what is found . interesting info
"SER levels are known to increase as the fruits ripen in many species, including tomato, although the inverse is true of the fruit of pineapple (Ananas comosus).15 SER was analyzed in fruits of Juglans regia, a temperate species where its amount was found to be lowest in spring and sharply increases during autumn which levels is more than that found in animal tissues,16 coinciding with seed dispersal period.1"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3218476/

Serotonin level of plantain is very high compared to regular banana.
Pineapple has serotonin more than banana. This is why Ray Peat
suggests pineapple in moderation. Different part of fruits have
different Concentration of serotonin.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/4/639.full.pdf

Gabriel

From the second reference Mittir provided:

Looking at that chart, tomatoes seem quite low on serotonin.

For "super matured" tomatoes they seem to a little bit lower than the matured tomatoes. I wonder how they define super matured.

Cucumbers and zucchinis should be fine.

Attachments

• 1985 Serotonin in Bananas, tomatoes.png
    1985 Serotonin in Bananas, tomatoes.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,038
  • Clipboard_20130720.png
    Clipboard_20130720.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 991

himsahimsa

So for -
banana: 6.3 mg/pound
plantain: 9.1 mg/pound
tomato: 1.7 mg/pound

Is that physiologically significant in itself and how much is lost on first pass? It seems like this is probably in the noise, no?
I have eaten Mucuna Pruriens because of its reputation for raising dopamine. It did not feel dopaminergic to me. It felt like being sandbagged. I didn't know about the serotonin in it.

pboy

probably a little, but not too much. As with most fruit, there is almost like a half to one day sweet spot where they are best for eating. Ive tested many different fruits at various ripened stages. If they are underripe, youll generally get acid feelings, gas, and even a too laxative watery affect. If they are overripe, youll get more gas and smell but not as much acid or laxative affect...usually. That's why its so hard to understand fruit for us...when you think of orangutans for example...they move miles a day to eat from specific trees on specific days, throughout the whole year. They are also selective about which fruits they eat and sometimes spit or discard portions. Young apes follow their mothers for usually at least 7 years to learn what to eat when, the signs to look for in the ripening stages, and where to move throughout the year. Commercial fruit just doesn't work...because fruit generally has to ripen on the tree to be worth eating, which for most that means they are so fragile they are about to burst, so they cant be shipped or sold to make a profit. You might get a good worthy tomato here and there, but its probably unlikely if you live in a city in america

Zachs

I would think they are still an issue in the gut where most serotonin is located. Adding to permeability.

Blinkyrocket

Well, irritating fibers would seem to be worse in that aspect. I ate a pear yesterday and felt horrible, I could eat a few bananas and not feel as bad as when I ate the pear.

Zachs

I agree with that. Pectin can be a major irritant and unripe fruit in general. I pretty much avoid most fruits and opt for pulp free juice or better yet, lactose and sugar/honey for my sugars.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals