Serotonin Antagonists As Treatment For IBD (Chron's UC, Etc)

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is not common knowledge in research (but not clinical) circles that serotonin is the major cause of the so-called "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). As such, there are several large clinical trials using TPH inhibitors to lower serotonin synthesis and thus cure the condition. It is also known that the so-called "inflammatory bowel disease" (IBD) conditions like Chron's and ulcerative colitis (UC) form a continuous spectrum extending from IBS, which means IBS is often a "gateway" disease to developing IBD. This suggests that anti-serotonin drugs should help IBD as well, but that leap of "faith" has not been done yet. The good news is that the role of serotonin in IBD is acknowledged and there are companies pushing in that direction. This news piece shows that blocking the 5-HT7 receptor is probably a viable pathway for curing IBD. Drugs that act as 5-HT7 antagonists include bromocriptine, lisuride, metergoline and of course some more selective ones like the one patented by Temple University below. Unfrotunately, contrary to what medicine claims, often the more selective a drug is the more systemic its side effects are. The older and tested drugs above should be a much safer (and definitely cheaper) alternative.

School of Pharmacy launches IBD treatment startup | Temple Now
"...“This gave us a clear pathway forward for a promising drug discovery project,” said Blass, an assistant professor of medicinal chemistry. “Our compounds are very specific for the target [5-HT7 receptors], possess excellent drug-like properties, and are covered in patent applications, so we immediately started looking for funding.” “We hypothesize that 5-HT7 receptors and serotonin are key to the progression of GI inflammation associated with IBD,” said Canney. “By blocking the receptors, the inflammatory signals produced by serotonin binding will be reduced. No other treatments for IBD target this mechanism of action.”

jaa

For someone with UC, would they see benefits from metergoline if taken topically?

Pointless

I have Crohns disease, and Cyproheptadine is very effective as I've said before. Cypro is a better bet than most drugs in terms of suppressing diarrhea with fewer side effects but Metergoline is worth a try.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I see you mention bromocriptine, lisuride etc do you think cyproheptadine would be as effective of those for IBS, UC and IBD?

It should be, but there are no direct studies with it. The only one that comes close is on functional GI disorders in children and it was very effective. So, I guess we can say it has evidence for IBS but I would not know what the proper dose would be for IBD. Doesn't hurt to try though, at the 2mg doses daily Peat recommends for more serious inflammatory conditions.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Okay thank you. What do you think about niacinamide being used for inflammatory bowel issues? I've seen posts from you saying it lowers serotonin could this be another potential use in your opinion?

The earlier post does not say it lowers serotonin - it acts as serotonin antagonist. I guess it would be interesting to try especially given its anti-inflammatory effects as well.

L

lollipop

The earlier post does not say it lowers serotonin - it acts as serotonin antagonist. I guess it would be interesting to try especially given its anti-inflammatory effects as well.
I tried 1.5 gms for a few days and it "anecdotally" helped. I do not have hard data to prove it. I learned it from reading an @TubZy comment speaking about it.
@haidut @raypeatclips

raypeatclips

I tried 1.5 gms for a few days and it "anecdotally" helped. I do not have hard data to prove it. I learned it from reading an @TubZy comment speaking about it.
@raypeatclips

Thanks for the mention, Lisa. What were your specific bowel symptoms that niacinamide helped with? I have seen Tubzy's comments about niacinamide before as well, but I thought they were to do with sluggish digestion, rather than inflamed and painful bowels, and I am cautious not to inflame them further.

L

lollipop

Thanks for the mention, Lisa. What were your specific bowel symptoms that niacinamide helped with? I have seen Tubzy's comments about niacinamide before as well, but I thought they were to do with sluggish digestion, rather than inflamed and painful bowels, and I am cautious not to inflame them further.
I used it for reflux like burn and inflammation in stomach. I used lysine for lower bowel inflammation. Both really helped along with digestive enzymes. In fact I only used these 3 and am sooooo much better - actually symptom free and healthy bowel functioning - several times a day. Excuse me if tmi...

raypeatclips

I used it for reflux like burn and inflammation in stomach. I used lysine for lower bowel inflammation. Both really helped along with digestive enzymes. In fact I only used these 3 and am sooooo much better - actually symptom free and healthy bowel functioning - several times a day. Excuse me if tmi...

Not tmi at all don't worry. I think I missed something, you said you only used these 3, what was the third? Lysine, niacinamide and something else?

johnwester130

this is damm disturbing.

A popular youtube vlogger, Hannah Witton, had her colon removed and is just casually blogging about it.

It was really shocking, this person just makes regular videos about life and then just announce her colon was removed.

LCohen

Ketotifen, Ondansetron, Cyproheptadine.

These will greatly reduce your IBS.

- Ketotifen is an endotoxin/TLR4 antagonist. Some kind of antibacterial, antibiotic effect it has on gut.
- Ondansetron is an antagonist for 5HT3 receptor. It makes digestion longer and healthier.
- Cypro as you know is a win-win drug. Reduces overall serotonin, cortisol, gut inflammation.. It's a must.

Bromocriptine also helped me. Especially reduced my hypothyroid and digestion problems. Reducing prolactin can be benefical in this situation.

Dobbler

this is damm disturbing.

A popular youtube vlogger, Hannah Witton, had her colon removed and is just casually blogging about it.

It was really shocking, this person just makes regular videos about life and then just announce her colon was removed.
Why is it disturbing to you? Because removing colon is not wise in any case and there are more natural solutions available?

Mat_Eire

Ketotifen, Ondansetron, Cyproheptadine.

These will greatly reduce your IBS.

- Ketotifen is an endotoxin/TLR4 antagonist. Some kind of antibacterial, antibiotic effect it has on gut.
- Ondansetron is an antagonist for 5HT3 receptor. It makes digestion longer and healthier.
- Cypro as you know is a win-win drug. Reduces overall serotonin, cortisol, gut inflammation.. It's a must.

Bromocriptine also helped me. Especially reduced my hypothyroid and digestion problems. Reducing prolactin can be benefical in this situation.

Which dsage of bromo did u use and how long, rio?It helps my IBS greatly but many people complain agaisnt it and i also have nausea from it. I take 2,5 mg daily. The lower dosage.

LCohen

Which dsage of bromo did u use and how long, rio?It helps my IBS greatly but many people complain agaisnt it and i also have nausea from it. I take 2,5 mg daily. The lower dosage.
2-3 weeks. First week 2.5 mg then started to tolerate it and upped to 5 mg. Then again it gave me terrible headaches and stopped.

inurendotoxin

I have Crohns disease, and Cyproheptadine is very effective as I've said before. Cypro is a better bet than most drugs in terms of suppressing diarrhea with fewer side effects but Metergoline is worth a try.

Is this Idealabs cypro? How do you dose/take it out if interest?

I also have chrons but looking not to go back to immunosuppressants if I can help it.