Serious food poisoning for a week. Need Help.

Guacamayo

A week ago I got a bad case of food poisoning while travelling in Greece - I'm still in Greece BTW. It's been a week and the symptoms aren't going away - nausea, diarrhea, constant feeling of fullness, low energy, no appetite.

I've been to to the hospital twice (they're still analyzing my stool sample for parasites), but so far they've only given me Rifaximin.

I can eat a maximum of 2 meals per day before I get completely nauseous. Also, around 3 days ago I woke up at around 2 am with my butt really itchy. I went back to sleep and woke up 2 hours later to find that I had completely shitted myself during my sleep - it was diarrhea. I had non-stop diarrhea for another half-hour after that, and since then I've had a bout of diarrhea almost every 1-2 hours.

I'm taking around 5g of charcoal per day and eating nothing but soups and bread sticks (made with organic emmer flour, natch) and some dark chocolate and some nuts here and there as snacks, but it's not stopping the diarrhea. I was also given S. Boulardi and told to take 250mg in the morning and 250mg at night, but it's not stopping the diarrhea at all. In fact, my little night-time accident happened after I started the rifaximin and S. Boulardi.

I'm drinking coffee with a splash of non-dairy milk (usually almond or oat), but maybe I should switch to black tea as that has more of a constipating effect.

I'm drinking coconut water, and supplementing magnesium and zinc to keep my electrolytes up, but it's really just a temporary band-aid solution.

As long as I don't eat anything I'm fine, but I've really, really, severely lost a lot of weight during this week.

It looks like I might have a parasite or something and I'm not sure if it will come up in the stool sample.

@Amazoniac @TheBeard @anyone else who has dealt with something similar - what should I do?

rei

Sudden itchy butt is due to excessive fascial tension to the sphincter, or actually the phase when it first starts releasing. If you have serious intestine upset and bloating and/or constipation causing temporary issues you can try squat in a warm shower and massage that area for few minutes and you will probably have sudden relief through rumbling in the stomach, and a bit later loose stools or outright diarrhea. You found this out the automatic and unpleasant way :(

If the issue is chronic you have most probably developed hemorrhoids and then you will need a longer, systematic approach to improve the underlying cause, bad posture.

The earliest example of a butt plug I could find were Dr Young's rectal dilators used to help with constipation, hemorrhoids and headaches
This is another aspect of old knowledge rockefeller medicine was able to wipe out that i had to re-discover through tresearch over the past couple years. All those mentioned are directly explained by fascial tension.

Of course parasites etc. is a possibility but i have many times heard someone say their butt itches, and never was the cause deemed to be parasites. Though i live in a country where parasites are extremely rare.

Leave the bread, pasta, rice, potatos etc. that feed gut dysbiosis. Soup is perfect if you find ones without these. Add fruit juices, preferably not from concentrate. Whole milk if you usually tolerate it well, and plain chocolate. They go perfectly together in a coffee and eliminates any gut irritating effect of it, while the saturated fats help with possible dysbiosis. Maybe add some MCT oil to increase the effect and some honey for extra sugar (or start with sugar and see if you can switch to honey if you tolerate it).

Last edited:
OP
G

Guacamayo

They don't have it here. I'd need to order and wait a couple of weeks.

ChemHead

Fast. Don't eat anything at all for at least 3 days. Drink a small glass of water with a 1/2-3/4 teaspoon of salt in the morning and at night before you sleep and limit the amount of water you drink during the day to small sips here and there. If you can get iv saline daily, do that instead of the salt water.

Melekai

1 c. french onion soup with 1 tsp minced garlic mixed in + 1 Tbsp coconut oil floating on top. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Colloidal silver if you can find it.

Zoltanman

@Guacamayo Stomach acid is your main defense here, lower it more with antacids and this will stay longer and get worse.

I used to run a natural therapies clinic and had great success with food poisoning. I used "Digestion Plus Tablets" by an australian company. Basically a stomach acid booster/supplier. Each tablet contains: Betaine Hydrochloride 650mg. Pepsin (1:10000) (Porcine) 31.5mg. Gentiana Lutea Root Powder (Gentian) 20mg.

This will kill pathogenic strains very well, and the higher acid stomach will send signals of high acid to other parts of the digestion and they will up the alkalinity, again killing more baddies you don't want.

ANY betaine hydrochloride and pepsin tablet or cap will do, and should be available where you are, or able to mail in from close.

Charcoal tablets or capsules are a must also, take 4-5 tablets or caps with a tablespoon of coconut oil (yes, it'll flush you; be close to a toilet till it does.) then, continue to take charcoal away from food, up to 15 caps or tabs a day total.

Lastly, one emergency case I helped over the phone was going to the ER in the town he was travelling through, he was that bad. His wife rang me for advice, with only the local supermarket at hand, here's how he got better enough to continue travelling in 2 hours and there was no hospital visit needed:

1 heaped teaspoon minced Raw onion, and swallowed with water like it was pills. Repeat every 20 minutes till bowels move, then every 30 minutes to an hour after, till next bowel movement. Assess results. If still feeling off, continue hourly.

If you also take half a clove of peeled and chopped raw garlic + 1/4 raw medium carrot (chewed) + 2 cardamom pods (swallowed whole) when you take the onion you will get an extraordinary kill rate and symptoms will usually lower within 2 hours.

My wife and I ate our way across Vietnam with only those "digestion plus" tablets as protection. Every little roadside hut or stall we wanted to try, we just took a third of a tablet with snacks and a full tablet at meals. Super-powered, iron-stomach happy digestion was the result. Acid REALLY IS your friend here.

Stick to gelatin rich foods as you recover, and look for animal based vitamin A foods, your digestive lining won't get right until you replenish your A status properly.

Hope this helps!!

OP
G

Guacamayo

Quick status update: The diarrhea subsided after a week. I had a stool sample done and it was something called rotavirus - one of the most common forms of food poisoning and one that causes serious diarrhea. Have it long enough, severely enough and you'll develop a case of hemorroids.

It was probably a combination of a weakened immune system and low stomach acid that caused this. I hadn't been taking my usual betaine HCL capsules for the past 2 months and had also discontinued a few immune strengthening supps while travelling - notably colostrum.

Haidut's camphosal helped a lot actually, so my recommendation is to always have that on hand. A 1-day fast also helped, as did other suggestions, specifically bone broth/gelatin rich soups, charcoal, and betaine HCL with meals. Maybe the rifaximin with S Boulardii also kicked in after several days.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help from everyone that responded.

Ismail

@Guacamayo Stomach acid is your main defense here, lower it more with antacids and this will stay longer and get worse.

I used to run a natural therapies clinic and had great success with food poisoning. I used "Digestion Plus Tablets" by an australian company. Basically a stomach acid booster/supplier. Each tablet contains: Betaine Hydrochloride 650mg. Pepsin (1:10000) (Porcine) 31.5mg. Gentiana Lutea Root Powder (Gentian) 20mg.

This will kill pathogenic strains very well, and the higher acid stomach will send signals of high acid to other parts of the digestion and they will up the alkalinity, again killing more baddies you don't want.

ANY betaine hydrochloride and pepsin tablet or cap will do, and should be available where you are, or able to mail in from close.

Charcoal tablets or capsules are a must also, take 4-5 tablets or caps with a tablespoon of coconut oil (yes, it'll flush you; be close to a toilet till it does.) then, continue to take charcoal away from food, up to 15 caps or tabs a day total.

Lastly, one emergency case I helped over the phone was going to the ER in the town he was travelling through, he was that bad. His wife rang me for advice, with only the local supermarket at hand, here's how he got better enough to continue travelling in 2 hours and there was no hospital visit needed:

1 heaped teaspoon minced Raw onion, and swallowed with water like it was pills. Repeat every 20 minutes till bowels move, then every 30 minutes to an hour after, till next bowel movement. Assess results. If still feeling off, continue hourly.

If you also take half a clove of peeled and chopped raw garlic + 1/4 raw medium carrot (chewed) + 2 cardamom pods (swallowed whole) when you take the onion you will get an extraordinary kill rate and symptoms will usually lower within 2 hours.

My wife and I ate our way across Vietnam with only those "digestion plus" tablets as protection. Every little roadside hut or stall we wanted to try, we just took a third of a tablet with snacks and a full tablet at meals. Super-powered, iron-stomach happy digestion was the result. Acid REALLY IS your friend here.

Stick to gelatin rich foods as you recover, and look for animal based vitamin A foods, your digestive lining won't get right until you replenish your A status properly.

Hope this helps!!
This was very helpful, thank you @Zoltanman

A week ago I got a bad case of food poisoning while travelling in Greece - I'm still in Greece BTW. It's been a week and the symptoms aren't going away - nausea, diarrhea, constant feeling of fullness, low energy, no appetite.

I've been to to the hospital twice (they're still analyzing my stool sample for parasites), but so far they've only given me Rifaximin.

I can eat a maximum of 2 meals per day before I get completely nauseous. Also, around 3 days ago I woke up at around 2 am with my butt really itchy. I went back to sleep and woke up 2 hours later to find that I had completely shitted myself during my sleep - it was diarrhea. I had non-stop diarrhea for another half-hour after that, and since then I've had a bout of diarrhea almost every 1-2 hours.

I'm taking around 5g of charcoal per day and eating nothing but soups and bread sticks (made with organic emmer flour, natch) and some dark chocolate and some nuts here and there as snacks, but it's not stopping the diarrhea. I was also given S. Boulardi and told to take 250mg in the morning and 250mg at night, but it's not stopping the diarrhea at all. In fact, my little night-time accident happened after I started the rifaximin and S. Boulardi.

I'm drinking coffee with a splash of non-dairy milk (usually almond or oat), but maybe I should switch to black tea as that has more of a constipating effect.

I'm drinking coconut water, and supplementing magnesium and zinc to keep my electrolytes up, but it's really just a temporary band-aid solution.

As long as I don't eat anything I'm fine, but I've really, really, severely lost a lot of weight during this week.

It looks like I might have a parasite or something and I'm not sure if it will come up in the stool sample.

@Amazoniac @TheBeard @anyone else who has dealt with something similar - what should I do?
I know this is an old thread, but I would start taking a I high UMF number manuka honey. It is the best antibiotic without being an antibiotic. Did you ever find out what it was that caused all your symptoms Gucamayo?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals