Septoplasty Surgery For Improved Nasal Breathing

johnsmith

Has anyone undergone a Septoplasty surgery to improve nasal breathing?

(I'm aware of the Buteyko nasal clearing techniques, they do work to a degree, but the airflow in one of my nostrils is pretty bad most of the time. I can feel that my septum is crooked when I pick my nose. I breath threw my nose around 25% of the time.)

Jamo77

Hi John,

I did and the surgery was successful in terms of straightening out my septum. Be wary about surgery on your turbinates - many want to resect them even when not necessary as it is an additional procedure and hence more money. Turbinate surgery gone wrong can lead to empty nose syndrome which has led to scores of suicides. Find an ethical and skilful ENT if you require a septoplasty. Go with a doc who doesn't get annoyed when you ask them questions and make sure you feel comfortable. Do your research and take your time.

One thing you can do is flash a small light up your nose while looking in a mirror in a dark room, if there is significant deviation you will notice one nostril opening bigger than the other usually. A surgeon often will get a scan done and show you what is going on in your nose as well.

Good luck

Arrade

Hi John,

I did and the surgery was successful in terms of straightening out my septum. Be wary about surgery on your turbinates - many want to resect them even when not necessary as it is an additional procedure and hence more money. Turbinate surgery gone wrong can lead to empty nose syndrome which has led to scores of suicides. Find an ethical and skilful ENT if you require a septoplasty. Go with a doc who doesn't get annoyed when you ask them questions and make sure you feel comfortable. Do your research and take your time.

One thing you can do is flash a small light up your nose while looking in a mirror in a dark room, if there is significant deviation you will notice one nostril opening bigger than the other usually. A surgeon often will get a scan done and show you what is going on in your nose as well.

Good luck
Right on.
Pretty pissed because my surgeon performed a turbinectomy without any discussion with me.
I only saw I was getting a turbinectomy while being prepped for surgery!

The turbinates control most of the function of the nose, mucus, moisturization, sensation.

TBH I plan on suing the surgeon for lack of informed consent if I notice any lasting discomfort.

The turbinate can often restore itself once the septum is fixed, without any surgery performed on them.

Also there are 4-5 ways to reduce the turbinates and excision is the most severe. You don’t even have to remove bone.

Summary: Septoplasty is probably required, make sure to communicate a lot about turbinectomy and hopefully avoid it all together.

There are also functional rhinoplasties, not just cosmetic ones. Keep that in mind

Jamo77

@Arrade I am sorry this happened to you. When did you have your surgery? Have you noticed any negative effects?

Arrade

@Arrade I am sorry this happened to you. When did you have your surgery? Have you noticed any negative effects?
It’s been about two weeks. It may be healing well. I was really concerned at first but it burned to breathe and I had to mouth breath
It may heal fine, I’m not sure how much he removed
Either way see if you can avoid turbinectomy

Jamo77

Good luck Arrade. I remember an ENT considered Perth's best and most thorough saying dryness is common at first. Was it an older or younger surgeon? Younger surgeons should be very aware of ENS and use the least invasive techniques.

Arrade

Good luck Arrade. I remember an ENT considered Perth's best and most thorough saying dryness is common at first. Was it an older or younger surgeon? Younger surgeons should be very aware of ENS and use the least invasive techniques.
Nah he was 67. It gets better as time goes, so I don’t think he removed all of the inferior turbinate Hopefully almost none

I would warn against this.

I have seen these nasal issues reverse themselves with chronically increasing CO2 with Buteyko.

I have seen people who had the surgery who didn't have nasal issues anymore, but had other problems.

There are sensitive tissues in the nose, maybe the vomeronasal organ, maybe something else. But I have seen that these nose surgeries result in physical and mental problems later in life. No I don't have proof of this.

Arrade

I would warn against this.

I have seen these nasal issues reverse themselves with chronically increasing CO2 with Buteyko.

I have seen people who had the surgery who didn't have nasal issues anymore, but had other problems.

There are sensitive tissues in the nose, maybe the vomeronasal organ, maybe something else. But I have seen that these nose surgeries result in physical and mental problems later in life. No I don't have proof of this.
I believe you but are you saying that the broken bone will be fixed?

Arrade

I was addressing seroplasty and similar surgeries for restructuring the nose for greater airflow supposedly.
Well I mean my bone was broken and expanded into /blocking the nostril. I got elbowed in the face and the bones broken 3 ways

I literally could not breathe through my nose

Well I mean my bone was broken and expanded into /blocking the nostril. I got elbowed in the face and the bones broken 3 ways

I literally could not breathe through my nose

I don’t know if that can self-correct. It is possible but I don’t know. If you can avoid surgery you should.

Jamo77

Dr Houser said some people had their entire inferior turbinates removed and had no ENS symptoms. I am not condoning copious amounts of surgery but Dr Alfred Stock had multiple cauterizations on his nose when dealing with bizarre symptoms of mercury poisoning (i had the exact same thing going on). He made a full recovery. My personality also changed after nasal surgery but i have days of total normality on the freddd protocol.

Arrade

Dr Houser said some people had their entire inferior turbinates removed and had no ENS symptoms. I am not condoning copious amounts of surgery but Dr Alfred Stock had multiple cauterizations on his nose when dealing with bizarre symptoms of mercury poisoning (i had the exact same thing going on). He made a full recovery. My personality also changed after nasal surgery but i have days of total normality on the freddd protocol.
Freddd protocol? Did you have all of your Turbinate removed?
I don’t know how anyone could think any removal of the Turbinate isn’t an absolute last resort

Arrade

I also wonder how much nose surgeries just lead to loss of sensation and cognitive dissonance.
Or there people aren’t self ware.
I suppose it depends on the person and extent of loss as well

Jamo77

Arrade

I had a doc change his mind right before surgery and he stuck a cautery gun up my nose. I had already had multiple rhinoplasties dealing from an old football injury. I think the only thing they did to my inferior turbinates was outfracture them. Anyhow the cautery caused REAL problems. He hit the sneezing nerve and i got the sensation to sneeze a lot but couldn't. I got in a very dark place eventually but found cromolyn salt spray that stopped those sensations. That was some find. My nose doesn't run anymore and is numb.

Freddd protocol is one that deals with b12 utilisation problems. I take very small amounts of b12 but take acetyl l carnitine, potassium and folinic acid (i don't do well on methylfolate). My mind can become very bright and i don't fixate on my nose after these surgeries. Its amazing when the mind is bright how negative offensive thoughts go away.

Doctor Houser btw is the most well known doctor who helps people with empty nose syndrome.

Arrade - do you have shortness of breath like it isn't getting deeper into the body? Do you have feelings of anxiety and panic since the surgery?

Arrade

Arrade

I had a doc change his mind right before surgery and he stuck a cautery gun up my nose. I had already had multiple rhinoplasties dealing from an old football injury. I think the only thing they did to my inferior turbinates was outfracture them. Anyhow the cautery caused REAL problems. He hit the sneezing nerve and i got the sensation to sneeze a lot but couldn't. I got in a very dark place eventually but found cromolyn salt spray that stopped those sensations. That was some find. My nose doesn't run anymore and is numb.

Freddd protocol is one that deals with b12 utilisation problems. I take very small amounts of b12 but take acetyl l carnitine, potassium and folinic acid (i don't do well on methylfolate). My mind can become very bright and i don't fixate on my nose after these surgeries. Its amazing when the mind is bright how negative offensive thoughts go away.

Doctor Houser btw is the most well known doctor who helps people with empty nose syndrome.

Arrade - do you have shortness of breath like it isn't getting deeper into the body? Do you have feelings of anxiety and panic since the surgery?
I;ve also looked up Dr.Houser, he's like the Mike Mew of Turbinates.
I think my nose is still swollen, it's 2 weeks as of today. Yes some shortness of breath but not noticing the anxiety and panic. I can't say for sure how my function has been impacted, I'm hoping for the best

Jamo77

Arrade to further answer your question i guess i would fall under the banner of functional rhinoplasty.

You are doing the right thing - give yourself time and surround yourself with loved ones. It does sound like you have had healing since the surgery.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals