Sensitive to loud noises and how to regulate nervous system

TMCMac

Every once in a while I'm very sensitive to somewhat loud noises and sudden noises like a dog barking not always but sometimes it irritates me. Not sure if this could be a serotonin issue. What can help this? Seems like nervous system is too sensitive and sometimes causes slight startle response. I've tried magnesium and it helps somewhat, but other times it doesn't.

Beastmode

Every once in a while I'm very sensitive to somewhat loud noises and sudden noises like a dog barking not always but sometimes it irritates me. Not sure if this could be a serotonin issue. What can help this? Seems like nervous system is too sensitive and sometimes causes slight startle response. I've tried magnesium and it helps somewhat, but other times it doesn't.

Not enough info to go off, but do you have any vertigo/dizziness issues?

gaze

low thyroid/high adrenaline. are you underweight by chance?

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

Not enough info to go off, but do you have any vertigo/dizziness issues?
No no vertigo or dizziness. It's just oversensitivity to loud sudden noises. I always seem to overreact compared to others. Even as a child I remember walking by a house with a dog that would suddenly bark and it would scare the s*** out of me while everyone else wasnt even phased. But it comes and goes, odd thing.

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

low thyroid/high adrenaline. are you underweight by chance?
No I'm actually very overweight. I had lost like 80lbs at one point but since gained it all back. Have always been colder than most people. I suspect it could be that low thyroid/high adrenaline. I just thought after gaining all this weight it would have leveled things out again. But it still persists underneath, not as bad but still there.

Bogdar

Most probably mechanical problem, don't overlook "chemical" roots.
It's a widespread disease in our world, from neck/TMJ problems, clenching etc.

Bogdar

Wtf in here for every problem you get the "low thyroid" ... What's wrong with you ?

gaze

No I'm actually very overweight. I had lost like 80lbs at one point but since gained it all back. Have always been colder than most people. I suspect it could be that low thyroid/high adrenaline. I just thought after gaining all this weight it would have leveled things out again. But it still persists underneath, not as bad but still there.
have you checked your tsh, T4, and T3 on a blood test by chance? are you eating enough carbs + salt?

Beastmode

No no vertigo or dizziness. It's just oversensitivity to loud sudden noises. I always seem to overreact compared to others. Even as a child I remember walking by a house with a dog that would suddenly bark and it would scare the s*** out of me while everyone else wasnt even phased. But it comes and goes, odd thing.
I've seen the issue get sorted out when things more "centrally" are fixed. Most of Peat's philosophy often gets tied with the "fuel" aspect and not so much the "activation" part.

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

have you checked your tsh, T4, and T3 on a blood test by chance? are you eating enough carbs + salt?
Only total t4 and t3.

TSH: 1.22 uUI/ml. T3: 1.27 ng/ml. T4:9.5 ng/ml

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

I've seen the issue get sorted out when things more "centrally" are fixed. Most of Peat's philosophy often gets tied with the "fuel" aspect and not so much the "activation" part.
By things more centrally, what do you mean? Like thyroid? Or lowering pufas etc/ diet?

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

Yeah, this could def be the case. I need to work on my neck and posture for sure. Do you mean things like trigger pointing? Funny enough, when I was younger sometimes when I would yawn my mouth would get stuck if I yawned to hard and it would take a lil bit for the tension to lower enough so that I can close my mouth again. Isn't that related to TMJ and clenching?

gaze

my best guess would be high cortisol or adrenaline. The fact that you lost 80 pounds and regained it seems to me like your running on stress hormones. plus the fact that you're cold all the time. I think the best way's to lower stress hormones is to eat enough carbohydrates, keep fat on the lower side, and protein around .7 g per pound of body weight. what do you eat currently?

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

my best guess would be high cortisol or adrenaline. The fact that you lost 80 pounds and regained it seems to me like your running on stress hormones. plus the fact that you're cold all the time. I think the best way's to lower stress hormones is to eat enough carbohydrates, keep fat on the lower side, and protein around .7 g per pound of body weight. what do you eat currently?
Yeah. I'm no longer cold all the time, but I was when I was regaining all the wait. I suspect the two things you mention as well just not sure how to correct them. My diet isn't perfect rn since I don't have access to a kitchen rn but I will soon. I try to keep pufa low. Usually eat/ drink raw milk, eggs, corn tortillas, tacos very frequently (take vitamin e with those usually) shrimp teriyaki, sauteed apples, honey, maple syrup, beef, sushi. That's mainly it. Try to get in oysters and liver 2 times a week. Yeah, I might be overdoing the fat. I agree.

Bogdar

Yeah, this could def be the case. I need to work on my neck and posture for sure. Do you mean things like trigger pointing? Funny enough, when I was younger sometimes when I would yawn my mouth would get stuck if I yawned to hard and it would take a lil bit for the tension to lower enough so that I can close my mouth again. Isn't that related to TMJ and clenching?
This is totally related. Honestly I don't know and I'm not sure that the other ppl answering you know what they're talking about. Often against a problem are thrown random "get carbs salt & thyroid" "lower pufas" as if it caused everything.
I have hyperacusis (that's what it's called) and it is seldom known (in its causes) by doctors. Idk for every cases but I know that it is triggered by nerve trapping because of poor structure up there, from muscular tensions jaw problems and lots of not fun stuff. You should look it up.
Maybe your sound sensibility gets activated when you spend more time sat ? Maybe stressed (clenching/tensions) ? Maybe both ? Could be a good sign.

gaze

This is totally related. Honestly I don't know and I'm not sure that the other ppl answering you know what they're talking about. Often against a problem are thrown random "get carbs salt & thyroid" "lower pufas" as if it caused everything.
I have hyperacusis (that's what it's called) and it is seldom known (in its causes) by doctors. Idk for every cases but I know that it is triggered by nerve trapping because of poor structure up there, from muscular tensions jaw problems and lots of not fun stuff. You should look it up.
Maybe your sound sensibility gets activated when you spend more time sat ? Maybe stressed (clenching/tensions) ? Maybe both ? Could be a good sign.
hes massively overweight, recently lost than gained 80 pounds. that's pretty clearly high stress hormones and a thyroid problem. with good thyroid function you feel relaxed pretty much all the time. ray had a similar problem before fixing his thyroid, he would wake up at any slight noise cause he was always high adrenaline compensating for the low thyroid. now he doesn't have that problem

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

Interesting yeah, this forum def hyperfocuses on thyroid and PUFA which is fine and I think can absolutely help all other conditions just by fact of lowering stress overall allowing the body to deal with dysfunction. But I agree it could be a mechanical thing as well. Yeah my tension increases when I sit for sure. I actually had surgery to remove some pretty bad gynecomastia which pulled my skin forward and so it messed up my posture by pulling me forward it has been getting better but that can def be a cause I think. I'm going to start focusing on posture with triggerpointing I think that might be one of the pieces for sure. Thanks

Beastmode

By things more centrally, what do you mean? Like thyroid? Or lowering pufas etc/ diet?
Vestibular and Visual function would be in line with more "central." They're more of the activation part.

Sorting out your thyroid, etc can definitely have a powerful impact on those 2 systems above. However, due to plasticity, patterns won't always normalize to a healthy state from sorting out things like thyroid, avoiding pufa, etc.

I've seen people with misophonia get sorted out well after getting their vestibular and visual system sorted without any dietary changes.

Just throwing out considerations if you choose to explore them.

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

Vestibular and Visual function would be in line with more "central." They're more of the activation part.

Sorting out your thyroid, etc can definitely have a powerful impact on those 2 systems above. However, due to plasticity, patterns won't always normalize to a healthy state from sorting out things like thyroid, avoiding pufa, etc.

I've seen people with misophonia get sorted out well after getting their vestibular and visual system sorted without any dietary changes.

Just throwing out considerations if you choose to explore them.
So how would you go about sorting out the vestibular ad visual system without dietary changes? I