Self-acupuncture

JessFields

Has anyone had experience with self acupuncture? This would take a great deal of research and I'm not sure where or if it's possible to obtain the correct needles.- I'm just curious if it has come up in the Peat-world.

cureme

I have been doing acupuncture on myself for two years.
Due to the fact that I am not an acupuncturist and the inability to apply in some places, the treatment obviously has several limitations, but I can take many benefits for the treatment of my depression, anxiety, lack of libido and even rhinitis and constipation.
I do a lot of research, daily, on the subject and I have been falling in love with traditional Chinese medicine, in addition to feeling very happy to be able to do something for myself.

All the information that you need is on youtube. There are apps for android with maps to find points and anatomy. Start with the easiest points and be very careful and responsible.
Acupuncture goes far beyond pinching the skin and you will understand it in practice.

Good luck!

OP
JessFields

JessFields

I have been doing acupuncture on myself for two years.
Due to the fact that I am not an acupuncturist and the inability to apply in some places, the treatment obviously has several limitations, but I can take many benefits for the treatment of my depression, anxiety, lack of libido and even rhinitis and constipation.
I do a lot of research, daily, on the subject and I have been falling in love with traditional Chinese medicine, in addition to feeling very happy to be able to do something for myself.

All the information that you need is on youtube. There are apps for android with maps to find points and anatomy. Start with the easiest points and be very careful and responsible.
Acupuncture goes far beyond pinching the skin and you will understand it in practice.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply! It's encouraging to hear you have had improvement in those symptoms; I have most of them. I am familiar with overall TCM concepts from the book Healing with Whole Foods by Paul Pitchford. Given my improvements from that (mostly herbs), I'd like to add on acupuncture.

Do you have any specific YT channels to recommend? I've been watching various ones, but I know sometimes there are hidden gems without many views.

Also, where do you order your needles? Massagewarehouse kept coming up in my search.

Thanks again!

cureme

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't really know how to use the forum and I ended up losing your message here.

So, on top of my earlier advice on self-treatment in Chinese medicine I would like to point out that you at least know the basic theories for this. I started a course in Chinese medicine a year ago and now I understand how important the theoretical basis is.

About the channels on youtube, all that I research are in Portuguese (Pt-BR). If you understand the language I can tell you.

I promise not to take so long.

Good luck

AlaskaJono

Has anyone had experience with self acupuncture? This would take a great deal of research and I'm not sure where or if it's possible to obtain the correct needles.- I'm just curious if it has come up in the Peat-world.
Hi Jess, I am an acupuncturist for 30 years, and do needles on myself sometimes. I do prefer to get a treatment from someone, especially back treatments! I am not against people learning or experimenting on themselves personally, but probably it is not easy to even get the needles, depending on what country you live in. You might have to shop around!
Several items of importance: 1) you have to learn about TCM or Acupuncture medical philosophy/diagnosis/treatment because otherwise you are just chucking needles into your body and this is NOT TCM, 2) technique around needling must be learnt. #1 takes years so might as well start now, and #2 doesn't take too long, as in months, but you need daily practice for sure. Also do try acu pressure, trigger points, etc. on yourself and others to gain sensitivity. Good luck.