Selenium Supplement

sonicyouth

Hi
I am sure it has been posted somewhere, but can't seem to find a recommendation on a selenium supplement. Toxinless also does not have any. Was using Super Selenium Complex (the smell!) but is there anything better out there? Much appreciated:)

tara

Seafood - eg non-oily fish weekly?

OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

Thank you Tara! I do get frozen tiger prawns from Wholefoods sometimes. But it would be good to have a pill handy for days when I'm on the go all day. Haidut wrote about the selenium - vitamin E combo being particularly good. My hair falls out less when I supplement with selenium. But I really want to move away from that Life Extension supplement.

tara

I don't know any more than is on the label, but of the first few I looked at, this one had the more benign ingredients, as far as I can tell:
Now Foods, Selenium, Essential Mineral, 200 mcg, 180 Vcaps
'Other Ingredients
Rice flour, cellulose (capsule) and magnesium stearate (vegetable source).
Contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk or preservatives.'

Agent207

What about Life Extension Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine?

Also you can pick 1-2 brazil nuts. Squid, cuttlefish and octopus are good sources too.

OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

I just wonder which particular form of selenium to look out for? Is there a good / bad selenium?

Dan W

sonicyouth said:
post 108671 I just wonder which particular form of selenium to look out for? Is there a good / bad selenium?
I don't know the Peat-ey opinion on this, but sodium selenite has been criticized for being pro-oxidant, so I would think the amino forms are probably better. They have aminos Peat prefers to limit, but the amounts are tiny.

The one Tara found looks promising to me, it's L-selenomethionine. The capsule is probably HPMC, which Peat has mentioned disliking, but they could always be popped open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most supps are from Brewers yeast. Not sure this is bad. If not for pufas Brazil nuts would be good.

Larks87

I take 100mcg SelenoPrecise every 1-2 days. It is an organic yeast with many different selenium compounds. It has helped with my hair

Peater Piper

Selenium and iodine are both important for the thyroid, but either one taken at high levels without the other can damage the thyroid. Regarding Brazil nuts, I considered eating one or two a day for the selenium, in spite of the PUFA, until I learned how notorious they are for being contaminated with fungus, mycotoxins, and aflatoxins. Probably better to stick with a high quality supplement or a variety of selenium rich foods.

papaya

Chris Masterjohn's podcast on selenium justified selenomethionine to me as a good choice, and cross-referencing that with ConsumerLabs' testing makes me think "Solaray Yeast Free" is a good default. Although it has more excipients than I'd prefer...

And I'm increasingly convinced we should be careful with selenium dosage. I made a page on getting selenium tested for the Richie Riches out there. It's around $70 a pop.
i thought nature's way selenium was the best selenium supp?

Dan W

I suspect it's good too, I just thought Solaray looked better because of the independent testing, and because of a couple reviews of Nature's Way mentioning an ammonia smell.

Frankdee20

Thank you Tara! I do get frozen tiger prawns from Wholefoods sometimes. But it would be good to have a pill handy for days when I'm on the go all day. Haidut wrote about the selenium - vitamin E combo being particularly good. My hair falls out less when I supplement with selenium. But I really want to move away from that Life Extension supplement.

I know in Peat land PUFA is the Devil himself, but come on ! Are a few Brazil Nuts going to mess up your health ? Just 3 a day provides ridiculous amounts of Selenium. They're what Oysters are to Zinc. Richest source, just eat them bro, you won't die.

Rand56

I've found that selenium is the most beneficial supp. I take that positively effects my mood.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals