Selenium Supplement Reccomendations?

freal

I am looking for a selenium supplement. What do you think about selenium yeast or Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine.
Could selenium yeast be allergenic.

Selenocysteine or Selenomethionine should both be good. Look for minimal additives.

Oddly enough currently selenium makes me feel worse even though I know I'm probably deficient.

OP
F

freal

Selenocysteine or Selenomethionine should both be good. Look for minimal additives.

Oddly enough currently selenium makes me feel worse even though I know I'm probably deficient.

Its difficult to find one without silicon dioxide or mycrocrystalline cellulose. There are very few. Probably even because the selenium is in such low concentration even regular cellulose will bound to it during digestion.

What do you think of this, its some weird form of selenocysteine, but its pure

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Se- ... Caps/47817

Could you maybe tell me one that you use, maybe on private message?

sara n.

Since I've been tracking nutrients in Cronometer, I don't worry about supplementing selenium. I get plenty. That opened my eyes to checking what I'm getting via diet before I start chugging supplements.
No offense.

OP
F

freal

sara n. said:
http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Se- ... Caps/47817

Could you maybe tell me one that you use, maybe on private message?
Re: Selenium supplement reccomendations?
by MyUsernameHere » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 am

I though that too, but Cronometer is based un USDA data which means US food supply. I researched it and US soil has a lot more selenium and when I compared European meat to US the difference is quite huge. So you cant just rely on cronometer.

Another reason we cannot rely on cronometer, if you look at the data for brazil nut ,cronometer says just one kernel has 100mcg. most brazli nuts and those from Bolivia which is the main exporter dont come even close to that. I think the cronometer uses USDA data, one question that comes to my mind is what stuff are they smoking over there at the USDA.

That's a good point. I've found 3-4 studies done in the past 10 years showing the soil is depleted everywhere around where I live and that the food had very little selenium. They also tested serum selenium levels and found that they were much lower than the other European countries and people barely get half of the RDA. In a wider area here there is actually a specific disease called Balkan Endemic Nephropathy which is a result of very low selenium levels and the whole region is second in selenium deficiency only to the low-Se belt in China where Keshan disease develops. Very bad.

sara n.

Interesting! Guess I'm just too darn U.S. centric. I know the USDA database has big holes and problems, but I don't know of any other to use?

Amazoniac

Question:
Basically: What are the safest supplements to continue using/best ones to wean off of. I only really asked about: Thryoid, VA, VD, VE, VK, Aspirin, Niacinamide.

Answers:
Most supplements contain enough impurities to eventually cause problems. Thyroid and aspirin are among the safest, and the most likely to be valuable indefinitely.
It depends on where you live, but vitamin D3, vitamin K, and selenium deficiencies are extremely widespread.

Per email:

I:"For someone taking a supplement, how many times a week should a 200mcg pill be taken to restore t4 conversion, presuming adequate protein?"

Ray:"During the first week, every day would be o.k., then I think once or twice a week is enough."

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Perfect Health Diet book:
- Animals foods, such as kidney and shellfish, which deliver selenium primarily as selenocysteine, are probably the safest sources of selenium. Very high intakes of selenocysteine by the Greenland Inuit were not found to be toxic.14
- Plant foods, which deliver selenium primarily as selenomethionine, are probably less safe; selenomethionine is less useful to humans and may be toxic in ways that selenocysteine is not. For instance, selenomethionine supresses the NA repair15 and distorts the NA methylation;16 it also replaces methionine in proteins such as albumin with unclear effects. High levels of selenomethionine intake in people of the Lower Tapajós River of the Amazon Basin in Brazil cause 42 percent of the population to display fingernail damage and 24 percent to have irritation or fungal infections on the skin - both symptoms of selenosis.17
- Inorganic forms such as sodium selenite or selenate, which are commonly found in supplements, are the most dangerous. Developing embryos are sensitive to selenite poisoning: in zebrafish, excess selenite induces loss of neurons from brain, trunk and tail, defects in heart function, and embryonic death, but supplementation with folic acid can relieve the cardiac and neuronal defects.18

@haidut @healthnatura - Catch!

Amazoniac

Ref. 16:
The current reference daily intake is 55 μg/d for a healthy adult in the US (30), and the supranutritional dose will be 300–600 μg/d for a healthy U.S. adult if we extrapolate these experimental animal data (12, 28–30). Thus, we think that these doses are physiologically achievable in humans.

The p53 tumor suppressor gene was selected for this study, because it is commonly found to be mutated or differentially methylated in colon cancer and other cancer types (18, 19, 35). It is well recognized that alterations in DNA methylation of certain tumor suppressor genes may be the leading mechanism by which anticancer nutrients exert their action (20, 36).

[..]our present finding that dietary SeMet induced exon-specific DNA hypermethylation of the p53 but not the β-actin gene in a Se dose-response manner is extremely important in both liver and colon mucosa and has several biological implications. It has been documented that breaks in genomic DNA within exons 5–8 of the p53 and exons 2–3 of the β-actin gene are associated with hypomethylation, and genomic DNA stability within this region is directly correlated with hypermethylation (38, 39). Therefore, dietary SeMet may increase the genomic p53 DNA stability, which is critical to prevent DNA mutation, and may subsequently reduce the risk of colon cancer and its metastasis to the liver.

It is also important to know that exon-specific DNA methylation of the p53 gene in rats fed the S[upranutritional] diet was significantly greater than that in rats fed the D[eficient] diet (but not those fed the A[dequate] diet).

In this study, we found that the A and S diets were equally effective at maintaining Se-enzyme activities and the plasma homocysteine concentration, but the S diet resulted in higher tissue Se concentrations than the A diet. In addition, rats fed the S diet had lower global genomic DNA methylation in liver than those fed the D diet. More importantly, our data demonstrated that exon-specific DNA methylation of the p53 gene but not the β-actin gene was dose dependently increased by dietary Se in rat liver and colon mucosa, which may relate to the anticancer action of dietary Se.

:ss

Last edited: