Selenium Is Anti-estrogenic (aromatase Inhibitor)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
DaveFoster said:
post 114195 As previously mentioned, I can't find an applicable dosage, including in this study. What would be a good dosage (ideally backed by studies)? 200 mg seems to be common.

Additionally, there seems to be some issues with increased prostate cancer risk with selenium along with Vitamin E.

The study said the effect was dose dependent and 60% aromatase inhibition was achieved by 0.6 μM MSA. To get this concenrations from a single dose you'd need 2mg of MSA. Given that most selenium supplements do not go above 400mcg that dose seems large but many animal studies with cancer have used a human equivalent of up to 5mg without serious toxicity. So, while I would not advise taking 2mg on a regular basis as a one-time test it could be OK and also you may be able to build up to that concentration by taking 200mcg over a longer period of time. I don't know how long though.

Last edited by a moderator:

TubZy

I concur. Actually you found the study about sodium selenite being compared to MSA. I remember that I specifically chose sodium selenite because it was being compared to MSA and despite my best efforts I could not find the study it was based on. Thanks for finding it! Btw, sodium selenite has other things going on for it. If you search PubMed for it you will see a number of studies saying it increases the conversion of T4 into T3 by 2-3 fold.
I bought some from VitaminShoppe and take 200mcg maybe 2-3 times a week. I find that taking it every day makes me feel agitated, which could be due to some unknown excipients but the label has it has nothing other than gelatin. It could also be increased conversion of T3 from T4, which also makes me agitated when I was taking pure T3 several months ago.
Anyways, selenium is very important but for me is tough to get the right dosage from supplements. Maybe I should up my shrimp intake, if I can find decently priced supply.

Interesting on sodium selenite and thyroid.

The shampoo selsun blue (selenium sulfide) has stopped the shedding for many people MPB people including me. It's marketed as an anti fungal/dandruff shampoo but it appears sodium selenite and selenium sulfide are the same thing? Maybe the hair effect is from the local thyroid/metabolism increase just like topical T3 helps hair? Could even be the estrogen inhibiting effects too.

Selenium (sodium selenite) drug & pharmaceuticals. Selenium (sodium selenite) available forms, doses, prices

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting on sodium selenite and thyroid.

The shampoo selsun blue (selenium sulfide) has stopped the shedding for many people MPB people including me. It's marketed as an anti fungal/dandruff shampoo but it appears sodium selenite and selenium sulfide are the same thing? Maybe the hair effect is from the local thyroid/metabolism increase just like topical T3 helps hair? Could even be the estrogen inhibiting effects too.

Selenium (sodium selenite) drug & pharmaceuticals. Selenium (sodium selenite) available forms, doses, prices

Sodium selenite and sodium sulfide are not the same thing, but I guess both can be decent sources of selenium. I have also heard good reports on hair growth but I doubt it can match the evidence behind topical caffeine, progesterone, aspirin, niacinamide, etc.

TubZy

Sodium selenite and sodium sulfide are not the same thing, but I guess both can be decent sources of selenium. I have also heard good reports on hair growth but I doubt it can match the evidence behind topical caffeine, progesterone, aspirin, niacinamide, etc.

Yeah I thought the same thing too. That link is wrong then or I'm just reading it wrong but they refer to them being as the same compound.

Maybe since the selenium is in a strong shampoo formula with synthetic powerful enhancers maybe makes it more effective since its only at a 1% concentration.

Selenium (Sodium Selenite) - Selenium (Sodium Selenite) Sulfide is an antifungal agent as well as a cytostatic agent, slowing the growth of hyperproliferative cells in seborrhea. Selenium (Sodium Selenite) Sulfide is the active ingredient often used in shampoos for the treatment of dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and tinea capitis, a fungal infection that is primarily a disease of preadolescent children.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yeah I thought the same thing too. That link is wrong then or I'm just reading it wrong but they refer to them being as the same compound.

Maybe since the selenium is in a strong shampoo formula with synthetic powerful enhancers maybe makes it more effective since its only at a 1% concentration.

Selenium (Sodium Selenite) - Selenium (Sodium Selenite) Sulfide is an antifungal agent as well as a cytostatic agent, slowing the growth of hyperproliferative cells in seborrhea. Selenium (Sodium Selenite) Sulfide is the active ingredient often used in shampoos for the treatment of dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and tinea capitis, a fungal infection that is primarily a disease of preadolescent children.

Actually, you are right. Sodium selenite is sodium sulfide bound with sodium. I was thinking of sodium selenide, which is just the sodium salt of selenium.
Sodium selenide - Wikipedia

TubZy

Actually, you are right. Sodium selenite is sodium sulfide bound with sodium. I was thinking of sodium selenide, which is just the sodium salt of selenium.
Sodium selenide - Wikipedia

Cool. I actually have a bottle of liquid sodium selenite in cabinet. I always thought they were different too b/c I was going to try it applying topically on hair (instead of using shampoo with harsh allergenics). I may dig that out and try it now or even add a few drops to a mild hypoallergenic shampoo.

@sladerunner69 this quote below is probably why we feel mildly stimulated after selsun. It seems it's due to the thyroid conversion increase. Selenium sulfide and sodium selenite are the same thing so they would have the same effect. The shampoo could even be stronger since it's at 1% concentration (10mg per ML) rather than micrograms even though it's orally. Wow, if this is the reason why selsun actually works for hair this is pretty big.

I concur. Actually you found the study about sodium selenite being compared to MSA. I remember that I specifically chose sodium selenite because it was being compared to MSA and despite my best efforts I could not find the study it was based on. Thanks for finding it! Btw, sodium selenite has other things going on for it. If you search PubMed for it you will see a number of studies saying it increases the conversion of T4 into T3 by 2-3 fold.
I bought some from VitaminShoppe and take 200mcg maybe 2-3 times a week. I find that taking it every day makes me feel agitated, which could be due to some unknown excipients but the label has it has nothing other than gelatin. It could also be increased conversion of T3 from T4, which also makes me agitated when I was taking pure T3 several months ago.
Anyways, selenium is very important but for me is tough to get the right dosage from supplements. Maybe I should up my shrimp intake, if I can find decently priced supply.

Stryker

Cool. I actually have a bottle of liquid sodium selenite in cabinet. I always thought they were different too b/c I was going to try it applying topically on hair (instead of using shampoo with harsh allergenics). I may dig that out and try it now or even add a few drops to a mild hypoallergenic shampoo.

@sladerunner69 this quote below is probably why we feel mildly stimulated after selsun. It seems it's due to the thyroid conversion increase. Selenium sulfide and sodium selenite are the same thing so they would have the same effect. The shampoo could even be stronger since it's at 1% concentration (10mg per ML) rather than micrograms even though it's orally. Wow, if this is the reason why selsun actually works for hair this is pretty big.

thanks for your posts on this , i went ant bought some selsun GOLD which is 2.5% the other day and although it is temporarily very drying on the hair it does warm the scalp significantly for a few hours after use

TubZy

thanks for your posts on this , i went ant bought some selsun GOLD which is 2.5% the other day and although it is temporarily very drying on the hair it does warm the scalp significantly for a few hours after use

Cool man, I originally had the 2.5%a while back but the smell was much worse so I dropped it for the 1% . Keep us posted if you plan to keep using it

ddjd

I used to, in the form of sodium selenite. However, I found that eating shrimp gives me more selenium in more enjoyable form so I stopped. I still keep the selenium around and take maybe once a week when I have not have much seafood that week.

haidut do you think selenium in the form of selenomethionine is a bad idea?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut do you think selenium in the form of selenomethionine is a bad idea?

It's probably OK for correcting deficiency but for long term selenium needs I would prefer seafood. I think it contains some yeast which could cause allergic reaction in some people. But other than that it should be OK.

dlind70

Blue corn chips also have good selienium. If eatingt at night you will definitely feel an effect more energy at night because it wakes up your immune system that could be a good thing for some people in the evening. Also no issue with the corn chips being fried because it concentrates the selenium. Try it out.

Mauritio

Here's another study showing selenium lowers estrogen by suppressing aromatase (CYP19) .

Selenium supplementation was very effective; drastically lowered the aromatase expression in rats fed an obesogenic diet ,even below the value of the control group.

1691182756837.png

- Selenium Supplementation during Puberty and Young Adulthood Mitigates Obesity-Induced Metabolic, Cellular and Epigenetic Alterations in Male Rat Physiology - PubMed

LucH

Hi,
Think that too much of a good thing is bad.
Exception in case of detox or cancer. More Se is needed.
I take Se methionine 100 mcg 2x/week.
If you take Se as antioxydant, take into account the profit you could get from taking 500 mg Taurine, for the brain but not only.
Note: Taurine should be used with magnesium bisglycinate, glutamine and vitamin B6 (pyridoxal phosphate) = GABA (central nervous system calming switch).
I take taurine 500 mg twice a day with my shake (with Mg bisglycinate, PCa, potassium citrate, collagen and L-glutamine).

Ben.

Hi,
Think that too much of a good thing is bad.
Exception in case of detox or cancer. More Se is needed.
I take Se methionine 100 mcg 2x/week.
If you take Se as antioxydant, take into account the profit you could get from taking 500 mg Taurine, for the brain but not only.
Note: Taurine should be used with magnesium bisglycinate, glutamine and vitamin B6 (pyridoxal phosphate) = GABA (central nervous system calming switch).
I take taurine 500 mg twice a day with my shake (with Mg bisglycinate, PCa, potassium citrate, collagen and L-glutamine).

Definiately. i was doing high dose lugols and took selenium supps alongside it. I eventually got brittle hair/nails, upon stopping the selenium they went back to "normal". Apparantly a common side effect of to much selenium.

Mauritio

Definiately. i was doing high dose lugols and took selenium supps alongside it. I eventually got brittle hair/nails, upon stopping the selenium they went back to "normal". Apparantly a common side effect of to much selenium.
how much did you take ?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
We take 50 mcg selenium per day and haven't noticed dry hair or nails. We rarely eat seafood.

Mauritio

LucH

We take 50 mcg selenium per day and haven't noticed dry hair or nails. We rarely eat seafood.
This is the right amount recommended. 50 mcg for géneral purpose. But not easy to find, or at a correct price. Not obliged to take every day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals