Selegiline Experiences

CoconutEffect

7/5/17

Q: What are your thoughts on Selegiline?

RP: It’s safer than many antidepressants, it depends on the nature of the problem, though.

Anyone have experience with this substance, or with Emsam (transdermal)?

TeslaFan

I take a quarter of the pill every 3 days, for MAO-B inhibition. It has a nice anti-depressant bonus effect, too.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

I take a quarter of the pill every 3 days, for MAO-B inhibition. It has a nice anti-depressant bonus effect, too.
Why the pill vs. the patch?
Why every 3 days?

Can you say more? I may request a trial of this tomorrow when I meet with my Psychiatrist.

TeslaFan

Why the pill vs. the patch?
Why every 3 days?

Can you say more? I may request a trial of this tomorrow when I meet with my Psychiatrist.

The dose I take is for anti-aging (MAO-B inhibition), and not for depression. Also, in larger doses Selegiline can start inhibiting MAO-A, and I don't want that.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

The dose I take is for anti-aging (MAO-B inhibition), and not for depression. Also, in larger doses Selegiline can start inhibiting MAO-A, and I don't want that.
but you do experience anti-depressant benefit from the low, MAO-B inhibiting dose?

OP
C

CoconutEffect

interesting. how do you understand the antidepressant mechanism to be? ie are you getting dopaminergic effects?

Energizer

I took 5mg Selegeline Hydrochloride Capsules USP daily for 2 months. Noticed a bit of a mood / energy boost and definitely a libido boost. Discontinued because the psychiatrist wanted to taper up to 30mg. It is highly dopaminergic since MAO-B is responsible for metabolizing dopamine.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

I took 5mg Selegeline Hydrochloride Capsules USP daily for 2 months. Noticed a bit of a mood / energy boost and definitely a libido boost. Discontinued because the psychiatrist wanted to taper up to 30mg. It is highly dopaminergic since MAO-B is responsible for metabolizing dopamine.
why didn't you insist on staying at the low dose/find a different psychiatrist?

TeslaFan

interesting. how do you understand the antidepressant mechanism to be? ie are you getting dopaminergic effects?

More motivated, music sounds better, higher sexual drive. These, I believe, are the effect of slightly elevated dopamine.

I don't actually like very high dopamine effects (as achieved with higher dose Selegiline, or Rasagiline, which is stronger) because I get an unpleasant wired-up feeling. I think this is because most of dopamine turns to nor-adrenaline and adrenaline.

I think with dopamine, less is more. Maybe patch is better than pill as it releases it in a more controlled manner, though I don't know what the dose of the patch is.

For depression, something like Bupropion is also commonly used. It raises dopamine signaling by mildly blocking DAT protein, thus recycling more dopamine in the synapse. But it also raises adrenaline, by blocking NET.

Selegiline, however, is one of the few drugs that has proven life prolonging effect in animal testing. It also has excellent safety record, and has been used for decades.

Dave Clark

I had used deprenyl for years, about 5 mg three/week with no problems. I since have stopped using it trying to see if it conflicted with any of the suggestions on this forum. I also used centrophenoxine, but stopped due to the cholinergic effects. I had used procaine and stopped, but since Ray doesn't seem to have a problem with the 'caines', I may start that up a few times/week. I also used Hydergine for many years (you can tell I am old school), but I can not find it anymore, I think they may of stopped producing Hydergine. Anyway, I am glad to see some people here are using selegiline, and I am interested to see what Haidut makes of it's use and benefits, or others who are the scientists of the group. For me, the interest was mostly anti-aging.

Energizer

Smoke from pure tobacco leaf also inhibits Mao-b and has even greater nootropic effects, but because of the stigma, few people would consider it. Animal researchers have been unable to experimentally induce lung cancer in animals with tobacco smoke, even after near asphyxiation. Antsmoking "science" relies on sleight of hand tricks. The user nightlight77 on Reddit has a great comment about this: Anti-Aging Hormone ( Klotho ) Could Make You Smarter • r/Nootropics

Owen B

I see how you described the "anti-depressant" effects, but what did you mean by the "anti-aging effects?

I just got some and will be experimenting with it soon.

Does anyone know if it's the kind of drug that takes a while to build up in the system. I took 2.5 mg once and noticed nothing. It's not any kind of reuptake inhibitor, right?

TeslaFan

I see how you described the "anti-depressant" effects, but what did you mean by the "anti-aging effects?

MAO-B is an aging enzyme, related to several neurodegenerative conditions. It breaks down catecholamines in a toxic way, causing ROS in the process, which kills neurons. It's body's poor substitute for low functioning MAO-A basically. Most of the basic info on Selegiline is available on Wikipedia, including its use as an anti-aging drug.

Frankdee20

What legitimate sites provide legitimate selegeline pills, or provide the patch, in the United States ? I’ve never purchased any pharmaceutical product online. , Also, forget about me asking doctors for this. Can’t one test positive for methaphetamine from it's metabolites ?

TeslaFan

What legitimate sites provide legitimate selegeline pills, or provide the patch, in the United States ? I’ve never purchased any pharmaceutical product online. , Also, forget about me asking doctors for this. Can’t one test positive for methaphetamine from it's metabolites ?

PM me.

Yes, you may test positive, as a small part of Selegiline will metabolize into it.

O

oldfriend

I realize this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can chime in about lower doses of Selegiline (5mg) and sensitivity to high-tyramine foods. Seems like most cheeses and ripe fruits are off the menu? Spinach too. Or is it not a big concern with doses this small? And what is the half-life of selegiline? If I took it every other day would it be Ok to eat these things on off days?

magnilo

i had researched this to pretty big extent a while back and at 5mg youre basically free of maoa inhibition, so you're free to eat all the aged cheese you want. i think maoa begins past 10mg.

about my personal experience: tbh im fairly puzzled. i seem to often get paradoxical effects, where i tend to be moodier (bouts of sadness) and sleepier. interestingly these are exactly the reasons that brought me to experiment with it. go tell

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals