Selegiline also effective for anti-aging in dogs

Mauritio

Good news for the anti-aging crowd: Selegiline also works as an anti-aging drug in dogs.
Now it has been shown to be effective in four different species (hamsters, rats, mice and dogs), which shows that it acts on a fundamental, evolutionary conserved mechanism, which makes it more likely that it works in humans as well.

The interesting thing about this study is that they drug was effective, eventhough they started supplememtating the dogs in pretty old age, 10-15 years of age, which corresponds to around 60-90 years of age for a human.
Only half as many of the selegiline-dogs died, by the end of the study, as the control group.
Once again it seems to function in a way to primarily prevent premature death, which was already shown in rats, as I have written about here (Selegiline Experiences)
Now the dosage was pretty high ,not sure why and the number of dogs wasnt huge, but overall it is a very interesting study and I'm happy to see more research on that topic.

“To assess whether L-deprenyl treatment begun in later life might enhance canine longevity in a fashion similar to that documented in rodents we also examined survival in a subset of elderly dogs who were between the ages of 10 and 15 yrs at the start of tablet administration and who received tablets for at least 6 months. In this subset, dogs in the L-deprenyl group survived longer (p < 0.05) than dogs in the placebo group. Twelve of 15 (80%) dogs in the L-deprenyl group survived to the conclusion of the study, in contrast to only 7 of 18 (39%) of the dogs who received placebo (P=0.017). Furthermore, by the time the first L-deprenyl treated dog died on day 427, 5 placebo treated dogs had already succumbed, the first on day 295. Specifically with respect to dogs, the findings reported herein suggest daily oral administration of 1 mg/kg L-deprenyl prolongs life when begun in relatively healthy dogs 10-15 years of age and maintained for the duration of the individual’s life, but in any event for no less than six months.”
- Treatment with L-deprenyl prolongs life in elderly dogs - PubMed

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you, I may add this to my dog’s regimen.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Thank you, I may add this to my dog’s regimen.
Good for your dog!
From the animal studies it looks like preventing premature death is its primary effect, followed by the actual life extension . But that also seems to depend on dose a lot.

Arguably, preventing premature death and increasing healthspan is even more important than increasing longevity.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Mauritio, I agree. He’s made quite a turnaround on rapamycin but of course I’d like to do everything I can to help him live out the rest of his life enjoying his time. I’m most interested in quality of life and healthspan above absolutely staying alive longer. I do have some Deprenyl on hand after reading Knoll’s work.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Mauritio the 1mg/kg daily for dogs seems so high compared to what people are taking for longevity! I understand their metabolism is different but still wonder if you have any thoughts on dosing for dogs? I have 5mg pills on hand and was thinking about giving him 1 daily and he’s 6.3kg.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio the 1mg/kg daily for dogs seems so high compared to what people are taking for longevity! I understand their metabolism is different but still wonder if you have any thoughts on dosing for dogs? I have 5mg pills on hand and was thinking about giving him 1 daily and he’s 6.3kg.
Yeah that's super high, but at least we know it's safe.
I would give a dog less than a human maybe half the dose. So between 1-2.5mg .
I talked a little about the dosages in this post (Selegiline Experiences) , microdosing selegiline was the most effective for preventing premature death in rats. So that's another possibility.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Selegiline halved the tumor incidence in rats when an HED of about 1,25mg was given.

In this case the microdose, 0,0125mg, was less effective.

The newer, tryptamine-derived drug BPAP even brought the tumor incidence down to 7/40 animals.

"Whereas 20/40 saline-treated rats manifested a fibromyxosarcoma, in groups of rats treated with 0.001mg/kg DEP: 15/40 rats; with 0.1mg/kg DEP: 11/40 rats (P<0.01) with 0.0001mg/kg BPAP: 8/40 rats (P<0.001); with 0.05mg/kg BPAP: 7/40 rats (P<0.01) manifested the tumor."

- A longevity study with enhancer substances (selegiline, BPAP) detected an unknown tumor-manifestation-suppressing regulation in rat brain - PubMed

Dave Clark

Years ago, I gave deprenyl to my Doberman. Most Dobies are good for about ten years, mine lived to 16 yrs old, and had I known more about the PUFA garbage in his food, etc., I could have got another 5 years for him. If I owned a dog again, selegiline {deprenyl} would definitely be in their regimen. One thing else I noticed, is that even up until my dogs old age, his mental and physical functions were sharp, he didn't look and act like an old dog, which I attribute to the selegiline.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Years ago, I gave deprenyl to my Doberman. Most Dobies are good for about ten years, mine lived to 16 yrs old, and had I known more about the PUFA garbage in his food, etc., I could have got another 5 years for him. If I owned a dog again, selegiline {deprenyl} would definitely be in their regimen. One thing else I noticed, is that even up until my dogs old age, his mental and physical functions were sharp, he didn't look and act like an old dog, which I attribute to the selegiline.
Very interesting!
How long did you feed him the selegiline for ? And what was the dosage?

Dave Clark

Very interesting!
How long did you feed him the selegiline for ? And what was the dosage?
Wow, that was a while ago. But, I learned about it and started him at around age five. Don't hold me to it, but I think I gave him only about 1 mg/day. Back then I was getting selegiline in liquid dropper bottles, so you could titrate to mgs easy. I sort of remember giving him a quarter of a 5 mg tablet daily when I didn't have the liquid, with weekends off. I was mimicking my dosage schedule. I don't know what the current research is on selegiline for dogs, this was ten years ago that I did this. I did not see any negative side effects, and had read much positive about using it for dogs.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Wow, that was a while ago. But, I learned about it and started him at around age five. Don't hold me to it, but I think I gave him only about 1 mg/day. Back then I was getting selegiline in liquid dropper bottles, so you could titrate to mgs easy. I sort of remember giving him a quarter of a 5 mg tablet daily when I didn't have the liquid, with weekends off. I was mimicking my dosage schedule. I don't know what the current research is on selegiline for dogs, this was ten years ago that I did this. I did not see any negative side effects, and had read much positive about using it for dogs.
That's a cool case study . Thanks for sharing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals