Selectively Feeding Beneficial Bacteria In A State Of Dysbiosis

sam7

Is there a way to reverse a state of dysbiosis by selectively feeding beneficial bacteria? As far I can tell whatever prebiotics you put down there will simply be eaten and processed by the bacteria that are already present in the gut, good or bad.

For example a person with a good microbiome can thrive on oats etc. but a person with a bad microbiome will actually have a completely different response and produce toxins etc.

Has anybody actually found that eating any particular foods encourages the proliferation of beneficial bacteria and doesn't feed the bad?

Last edited:

Inaut

Wouldn't an optimum functioning liver/gallbladder do most of the work in terms of keeping the bad guys to a minimum via bile in the intestines?

LeeLemonoil

The metabolic and vascular protective effects of olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract in diet-induced obesity in mice are related to the amelioratio... - PubMed - NCBI

The metabolic and vascular protective effects of olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract in diet-induced obesity in mice are related to the amelioration of gut microbiota dysbiosis and to its immunomodulatory properties.
Vezza T, et al. Pharmacol Res. 2019.
Show full citation
Abstract
INTRODUCTION: Many studies have showed the beneficial effects of the olive (Olea europaea) leaf extract (OLE) in experimental models of metabolic syndrome, which have been ascribed to the presence of phenolic compounds, like oleuropeoside. This study evaluated the effects of a chemically characterized OLE in high fat diet (HFD)-induced obesity in mice, describing the underlying mechanisms involved in the beneficial effects, with special attention to vascular dysfunction and gut microbiota composition.

METHODS: C57BL/6J mice were distributed in different groups: control, control-treated, obese and obese-treated with OLE (1, 10 and 25 mg/kg/day). Control mice received a standard diet, whereas obese mice were fed HFD. The treatment was followed for 5 weeks, and animal body weight periodically assessed. At the end of the treatment, metabolic plasma analysis (including lipid profile) as well as glucose and insulin levels were performed. The HFD-induced inflammatory status was studied in liver and fat, by determining the RNA expression of different inflammatory mediators by qPCR; also, different markers of intestinal epithelial barrier function were determined in colonic tissue by qPCR. Additionally, flow cytometry of immune cells from adipose tissue, endothelial dysfunction in aortic rings as well as gut microbiota composition were evaluated. Faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) to antibiotic-treated mice fed with HFD was performed.

RESULTS: OLE administration reduced body weight gain, basal glycaemia and insulin resistance, and showed improvement in plasma lipid profile when compared with HFD-fed mice. The extract significantly ameliorated the HFD-induced altered expression of key adipogenic genes, like PPARs, adiponectin and leptin receptor, in adipose tissue. Furthermore, the extract reduced the RNA expression of Tnf-α, Il-1β, Il-6 in liver and adipose tissue, thus improving the tissue inflammatory status associated to obesity. The flow cytometry analysis in adipose tissue corroborated these observations. Additionally, the characterization of the colonic microbiota by sequencing showed that OLE administration was able to counteract the dysbiosis associated to obesity. The extract reversed the endothelial dysfunction observed in the aortic rings of obese mice. FMT from donors HFD-OLE to recipient mice fed an HFD prevented the development of obesity, glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction.

CONCLUSION: OLE exerts beneficial effects in HFD-induced obesity in mice, which was associated to an improvement in plasma and tissue metabolic profile, inflammatory status, gut microbiota composition and vascular dysfunction.

Peatful

Vinny

The metabolic and vascular protective effects of olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract in diet-induced obesity in mice are related to the amelioratio... - PubMed - NCBI

The metabolic and vascular protective effects of olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract in diet-induced obesity in mice are related to the amelioration of gut microbiota dysbiosis and to its immunomodulatory properties.
Vezza T, et al. Pharmacol Res. 2019.
Show full citation
Abstract
INTRODUCTION: Many studies have showed the beneficial effects of the olive (Olea europaea) leaf extract (OLE) in experimental models of metabolic syndrome, which have been ascribed to the presence of phenolic compounds, like oleuropeoside. This study evaluated the effects of a chemically characterized OLE in high fat diet (HFD)-induced obesity in mice, describing the underlying mechanisms involved in the beneficial effects, with special attention to vascular dysfunction and gut microbiota composition.

METHODS: C57BL/6J mice were distributed in different groups: control, control-treated, obese and obese-treated with OLE (1, 10 and 25 mg/kg/day). Control mice received a standard diet, whereas obese mice were fed HFD. The treatment was followed for 5 weeks, and animal body weight periodically assessed. At the end of the treatment, metabolic plasma analysis (including lipid profile) as well as glucose and insulin levels were performed. The HFD-induced inflammatory status was studied in liver and fat, by determining the RNA expression of different inflammatory mediators by qPCR; also, different markers of intestinal epithelial barrier function were determined in colonic tissue by qPCR. Additionally, flow cytometry of immune cells from adipose tissue, endothelial dysfunction in aortic rings as well as gut microbiota composition were evaluated. Faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) to antibiotic-treated mice fed with HFD was performed.

RESULTS: OLE administration reduced body weight gain, basal glycaemia and insulin resistance, and showed improvement in plasma lipid profile when compared with HFD-fed mice. The extract significantly ameliorated the HFD-induced altered expression of key adipogenic genes, like PPARs, adiponectin and leptin receptor, in adipose tissue. Furthermore, the extract reduced the RNA expression of Tnf-α, Il-1β, Il-6 in liver and adipose tissue, thus improving the tissue inflammatory status associated to obesity. The flow cytometry analysis in adipose tissue corroborated these observations. Additionally, the characterization of the colonic microbiota by sequencing showed that OLE administration was able to counteract the dysbiosis associated to obesity. The extract reversed the endothelial dysfunction observed in the aortic rings of obese mice. FMT from donors HFD-OLE to recipient mice fed an HFD prevented the development of obesity, glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction.

CONCLUSION: OLE exerts beneficial effects in HFD-induced obesity in mice, which was associated to an improvement in plasma and tissue metabolic profile, inflammatory status, gut microbiota composition and vascular dysfunction.
Would olive leaf tea do the job instead of the extract, anyone?

Banana derived resistant starch. Banana only, avoid like fire any other type.

JKX

I've had success with the megasporebiotic product which is soil based spores. There is a study (albeit connected to the seller of the product) showing increases in bifidobacteria count up to 70%. I've also used other bifidobacteria probiotics with success. For insoluble fibre carrot, mushroom and wheat bran have all had positive effects for me.

Bloat elimination, better movements, speedier transit.

Don't know if any one has tried mashed banana with sugar, and a little milk added :smug: a cheap dessert indeed!

Pet Peeve

Could you tell us some more details on how this has benefitted you, what led you to try it, in what doses, what experiences you had, how long lasting they were etc.

I read that it could change the microbiome for the better and decided to try it. The effect isn't very strong but it helps emptying the colon and contributes to better mental clarity. It's the only prebiotics I can handle.

Lactulose - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

orewashin

I've heard about beneficial effects of plant microbes on the bacterial balance of the skin. Apparently, you can eliminate body odor this way, but I didn't get around to trying it.

golder

I've heard about beneficial effects of plant microbes on the bacterial balance of the skin. Apparently, you can eliminate body odor this way, but I didn't get around to trying it.
Would absolutely love to hear more about this. Is there anything you can remember at all, as my skin emits a really nasty odour and it’s very hard to mask. Thanks for your help!

orewashin

Would absolutely love to hear more about this. Is there anything you can remember at all, as my skin emits a really nasty odour and it’s very hard to mask. Thanks for your help!
Here are some resources.

You Probably Don’t Need to Shower

My No-Soap, No-Shampoo, Bacteria-Rich Hygiene Experiment

Apparently, they even make probiotic deodorants now.

Cara Probiotic Deodorant

The main ingredients are very Peaty. Coconut oil, baking soda, zinc, and good bacteria. I think it's worth trying, tell us how well it works.

As for plant microbes, I can't find where I read about them. Regular soil microorganisms can offset the bacteria that grow on the skin. A method of exposing yourself is to mix topsoil with water, using it like soap, and washing it off. The bacteria stay on the skin if only water is used. It's not very convenient, so plant microbes used in the same way may be easier or more effective.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals