Seems Like The Calcium Intake Of Hunter Gatherers Would Be Low

OP
RWilly

RWilly

A while back my pig ate my chickens. There was nothing left aside from a few feathers. That means that not only did he eat every single bone, but also almost all of the feathers. To be fair, I never actually saw him do this, but it was him and a few chickens and there was no way out or in (it was winter so they never left the room). I couldn't figure out what was happening to my hens and inspected the entire area. There is no way any critter could have got in the pen, and there were no signs of any critters coming in except for mice (the floor was concrete for one thing). I knew that pigs would eat small animals if given the chance, but this was a pot bellied pig so I didn't think it would happen.

Wow! A pig eating chickens.

boris

soul_rebel

Yes I think socio-economic status is associated with higher thyroid/progesterone (but in modern times maybe also with higher estrogen and lower testosterone). There is a very clear and strong correlation between socio-economic status and longevity/health/all-cause mortality, which people haven't been able to explain via any means like smoking rates, diet, etc. I think the real cause is that the mental stress of being poor is a very fundamental signal to raise serotonin and turn off thyroid. Not poor in the absolute sense but in a relative sense to the people around you. Yes rich people have stress but job stress is very different from social defeat and fear of not having enough resources to live. The first is stimulating and can increase thyroid but with the latter, your body will naturally turn off growth and development (thyroid) if you don't believe you have the resources for it.

I think this is more applicable to established aristocracy and old money than entrepreneurs though. And maybe this is why Dr. Peat is a proponent of communism and equalizing the money supply. He wants everyone to be able to grow and develop instead of just the rich having that luxury and the poor working their whole lives at jobs they don't find fulfilling just to pay bills instead of developing.

I disagree. I dont think wealth makes me people less stressed, wealth is a small component and humans adjusts. Plenty of poor people, with job insecurity, but have a strong social network/friendships and low societal expectations for themselves, are less stressed. Lack of health care....how often do Haidut and other Peat guys mention, the best thing you can do is not go to the doctor. Many poorer people are not going to the doctor and getting X-ray scans and misdiagnosed and being put on bad medication.

That is the problem with many people, is the belief that money will solve their problems, it will not. Fear of loss and the stress of maintaining said wealth and status, is what wealthy people deal with, and fear is a chronic stressor. Socioeconomic status is more about peer evaluation. I think the energy metabolic stress that is talked about here is evenly dispersed across income and wealth, insignificant factor. People really hold to the belief money will solve their problems....

Literally

Couple of points.

First off, dogs in nature absolutely do eat bones. There is an Aussie vet who has written books about raw feeding with lots of bones. I did this with a dog and it radically improved the dog's health. So many issues resolved. Dogs are apparently designed to strain while pooping because they eat so much bone, and not doing this leads to things like impacted scent glands.

Someone earlier was under the impression that dogs only gnaw at bones and don't make much headway. This is what will happen if you give a dog a bone that's too big.. a lot will end up chipping a tooth if you do this, among other problems. So if you feed a dog a big **** cow bone, it will gnaw unsuccessfully at it... but canids don't generally take down too many cows. And even if they do, they will eat the smaller bones.

WARNING: do not attempt to feed cooked bones to an animal ever. Also don't feed raw bones without reading up on it. The dog has to learn the skill, which is natural... but you can kill a dog by giving it certain things when it hasn't figured out bones yet.

Second, I believe Chris Masterjohn just posted a YouTube video referencing that traditional Inuit (i.e. no dairy, little veg in diet) would grind up fish bones as part of their diet.

Runenight201

Couple of points.

First off, dogs in nature absolutely do eat bones. There is an Aussie vet who has written books about raw feeding with lots of bones. I did this with a dog and it radically improved the dog's health. So many issues resolved. Dogs are apparently designed to strain while pooping because they eat so much bone, and not doing this leads to things like impacted scent glands.

Someone earlier was under the impression that dogs only gnaw at bones and don't make much headway. This is what will happen if you give a dog a bone that's too big.. a lot will end up chipping a tooth if you do this, among other problems. So if you feed a dog a big **** cow bone, it will gnaw unsuccessfully at it... but canids don't generally take down too many cows. And even if they do, they will eat the smaller bones.

WARNING: do not attempt to feed cooked bones to an animal ever. Also don't feed raw bones without reading up on it. The dog has to learn the skill, which is natural... but you can kill a dog by giving it certain things when it hasn't figured out bones yet.

Second, I believe Chris Masterjohn just posted a YouTube video referencing that traditional Inuit (i.e. no dairy, little veg in diet) would grind up fish bones as part of their diet.

what type of bones would you recommend feeding to a dog? Hamsters? Rats?

Literally

I used meaty beef and chicken bones, just not the big beef ones. It's more about avoiding certain types of bones at first. Would you like to to see if I can find a link the eBooks I read?

You might instead consider bone meal incorporated into raw meat. It's available. Would be a lot easier, and frankly, less scary. I would not have tried it with this dog if she was not already having problems and basically refusing to eat normal dog food.

Vets will tend to hate this. I had a vet tell me I would for sure be in her surgery (spoiler: nope!). Also that I'd give the dog nutritional deficiencies by feeding mostly raw meat and meaty bones. I asked "like what" and she said, "for example, a taurine deficieincy" lolol.

BTW would I freak out if a future dog wanted to eat a rat-sized thing? Heck no. Especially if it had some practice eating bones since a young age. Is it technically possible a bone could stick in a dog's throat, at any point of a natural diet like this? Yes.

Last edited:

boris

@Literally Veterinary school doesn't teach much about nutrition. I heard most of what they learn about it is funded by petfood companies... sounds familiar.

Pressure- cooked chicken bones are delicious!

Giraffe

Animals seem to know what they need, and hunter gatherers will have learned by watching animals. The goats here climb a dam to get some calcium.

schultz

There was a cat that used to hang around my barn. I once watched him catch and eat an entire vole in under a minute. I imagine that was a pretty good source of calcium. I have the event on video somewhere because I had my phone with me. You can hear the bones crunching. It's pretty cool.

I think earthworms are a good source of calcium for hens. I tried to verify that once but I remember it being difficult to find information on this. Of course, hens will consume bits of limestone, etc. to help them digest food so that is also a good source of calcium.

GelatinGoblin

Couple of points.

After my dog eats a big bone, for example a pork bone or that "T-bone" from a T-bone steak, she always pukes it up. Not violently but you just find brown goop with bone remains somewhere in the house.
A petshop storeowner told me only to give them big bones like that only once per 2 weeks, seems about right. The same cannot be said about your...

own dog. :):

Inaut

Horse eats chick, elk eats goose.

Sounds like a Chinese proverb

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom