Seeking Work Advice

Davsey85

I work in front of a computer 10 hours a day 3 days a week from 3 pm to 1 am booking hotel rooms for

pilots and flight attendants as well as answering phone calls.Sometimes its non stop looking at the screen

and i feel that all that screen time is having a effect on me afterwards and find it difficult to get refreshing

sleep.I am wake around 8 am after going to bed around 2am or so and feel adrenaline as well as the good

chemicals in my brain being gone. Dopamine feels shot and my sense of sound becomes sensitive.As my

parents are preparing for work in the morning it feels like the doors opening and closing are very loud and

only a couple of feet away from me.I know its a state of agitation and blood just feels boiling inside and i feel

like a combination of all the interactions(introvert) and being in front of the computer did something to my

CNS.I take an hour or two epsom baths before work to try and recover but its just broken sleep as the mind

and body feels overstimulated and feel like the computer will taser me.I have tried light jogging after work to

get the zaped feeling from the computer to dissolve from my body but it doesn't help.After work my next task

is to recover for the next day.The last time i worked out was saturday where i did to hard uphill sprints

followed by some games of table tennis haven't done anything vigorous since then.Maybe 5 hours of

computer time a day wouldn't cause this and i wouldn't mind doing 5 hours 6 days a week instead of 3 10

hour shifts to minimize the stress and the jolt of electricity feeling i get in the morning.

However in a capitalist society that may be the last thing people want to hear.

I don't mind the work and the supervisors are supportive.It is just the taxed feeling and lack

of being able to recover the way i'd like that bothers me.Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Could you wear blue light blocking glasses while you're at work?

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

I am sure i could.I do have a pair of the big orange ones and i think they are supposed to be worn 2-3 hours before bed which would still leave alot of time on the screen.Not sure if you can wear them longer than that though i am open trying new things.I have a pair of these and have tried them at home and they sometimes work and other times wonder if the electromagnetic stuff from the computer is going thru them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OBZ64...t=&hvlocphy=9052102&hvtargid=pla-385598131395

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I try to wear blue blocking glasses when looking at screens for a prolonged time after sunset. It won't help with emfs but might still make a difference.

biggirlkisss

I would rather recommend you install flux and if they won't let you. You could change the colors in control panel maybe if you can find the driver settings. Flux would be alot easier 2700k would be safe that there enough blue still to see. I be more worried about sitting then the emf. I would make sure when you have 15 minutes you eat protein and carb.

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

@biggirl

How long does it take to install flux and from which website is good?Also where i work there are hundreds of computer screens close to each other as well as televisions. Somedays i don't get the same computer.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Biggirlkisss is right that flux is probably better but my work won't let me install it so I have to just use the glasses. I'm also working under fluorescent lights at night.

theLaw

Sit down and write a plan to get out of this situation. As soon as you start, you'll begin to feel better knowing there's an end to this.

Success is simply a war of attrition. You could clean houses and have a much higher quality of life than you do in your current job, you just have to take action.

Simple, but highly effective. Cheers! :D

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

@theLaw

I am currently volunteering at a hospital to see if nursing would be a good fit for me.I am also taking improv classes to explore my comfort zone.I spoke with

someone where i work with at Delta and she told me that the job we have is cush compared to nursing.I asked her if nursing was harder than what we do since she

has her cna license and she said that it is much harder according to her friends which i was surprised to hear.I want to do something that helps people but also living

the good hormone/lower stress lifestyle.My degree in health sciences and i have worked with

people with disabilities and i don't want to go back to that.Although i enjoy helping people as

an introvert it can be draining at times.

theLaw

@theLaw

I am currently volunteering at a hospital to see if nursing would be a good fit for me.I am also taking improv classes to explore my comfort zone.I spoke with

someone where i work with at Delta and she told me that the job we have is cush compared to nursing.I asked her if nursing was harder than what we do since she

has her cna license and she said that it is much harder according to her friends which i was surprised to hear.I want to do something that helps people but also living

the good hormone/lower stress lifestyle.My degree in health sciences and i have worked with

people with disabilities and i don't want to go back to that.Although i enjoy helping people as

Given the philosophy of this forum, not sure a hospital would be less stressful than what you do now.

There's a whole world of great jobs out there, but you have to take action to find them.

Just the fact that you can now consider the stress involved in any particular line of work gives you an enormous advantage in the marketplace.

Personally, I found that most jobs requiring a degree fall into a heavy authoritarian structure and are generally challenging to someone's health and independence.

Personally, I found small simple businesses to be much more rewarding and less stressful across the board.

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

I hear you with the authoritarian structure.I have burned out working with people with disabilities as well in the fast paced restaurant business.I am open to

something new.Do you recommend anything as far as small simple business careers/jobs?

theLaw

I hear you with the authoritarian structure.I have burned out working with people with disabilities as well in the fast paced restaurant business.I am open to

something new.Do you recommend anything as far as small simple business careers/jobs?

Blue-collar jobs pay well especially in higher-income areas.

Something you can run yourself (food cart/house-cleaning/woodworking).

Building furniture is an example of a business that is inexpensive to start, very low stress, and very lucrative. My brother-in-law built a table in his garage for $200 in supplies, and I found an identical table on Etsy for $1000+shipping.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blue-collar jobs pay well especially in higher-income areas.

Something you can run yourself (food cart/house-cleaning/woodworking).

Building furniture is an example of a business that is inexpensive to start, very low stress, and very lucrative. My brother-in-law built a table in his garage for $200 in supplies, and I found an identical table on Etsy for $1000+shipping.
That's great advice.

As a 20+ year veteran in the medical field I highly recommend against it. Ironically I've started woodworking myself recently and find it much more rewarding. I'm hoping to fully replace my medical work income and phase into doing just woodworking by summer.

LUH 3417

@theLaw

Professional house cleaner over nursing in a hospital, any day

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Why? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Remember that mine is just one opinion and I would recommend asking multiple people IRL who you respect to give you honest feedback.
The medical field and healthcare in general is (somewhat of necessity) highly authoritarian, quite dogmatic and often highly stressful. Long and demanding hours are not uncommon. It can be hard to work with really sick people day in and day out (or night in and night out) so many workers experience burnout, compassion fatigue and even moral distress. Some areas like ER, ICU etc are not much different from being in a war zone. Don't get me wrong there can be some positive stuff but most of the people I've met who have worked in the field a long time would rather be doing something else. It's predominantly a 24/7 business so you would inevitably miss out on some important holidays or special occasions because everyone has to do their part covering undesirable shifts. Oh and you are exposed to a lot of contagious illness.

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

@Blossom

Wow i didn't realize the medical field is stressful.I always heard that there is a great need in healthcare and there will always be jobs.

I thought something like respiratory therapy/ultrasound or medical coding would be easier.How does one get into housecleaning or any of the mentioned fields?

I am curious to know your perspective on how you guys got started.Also i thought about starting a health coaching business at one point.I am not very hands on

and couldn't fix the simplest things so i am not sure about woodworking or furniture.

Going into nursing what i was thinking was to work just 3 8 hour shifts a week to avoid

burnout if they allow that type of flexibilty.

DaveFoster

I use F.lux, red light, anti-serotonin drugs and eventually thyroid. Progest-E, carrots or activated charcoal helps me relax, and gluten has detrimental effects.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The medical field gets promoted to be something it is not because workers are so desperately needed.
Personally I would look into coding before respiratory (I'm a respiratory therapist saying this) or radiology. It can't hurt to shadow in a hospital though to see what you think. I'd hate for you to just go on my opinion alone and maybe regret not exploring it further.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals