Second Period With Progesterone Supplement?

Ellie18

So my last period ended on March 9th... then on March 18th I started lightly spotting now on the 20th I am having a light period. Any idea why I'd be having a second one like 10 days after my first? I am taking Health Natura Simply Progesterone, and have been for about 3-4 months. Before that I was taking Progest-e for about 4 months. Never had anything like this happen before, even when I was on birth control. I upped my dose slightly, but I thought progesterone was supposed to delay your period, not induce it, so I am very confused! I do have estrogen dominance too...I am 20, have probably had it since I hit puberty. Any one else had anything like this happen/know what it could be?

sele

So my last period ended on March 9th... then on March 18th I started lightly spotting now on the 20th I am having a light period. Any idea why I'd be having a second one like 10 days after my first? I am taking Health Natura Simply Progesterone, and have been for about 3-4 months. Before that I was taking Progest-e for about 4 months. Never had anything like this happen before, even when I was on birth control. I upped my dose slightly, but I thought progesterone was supposed to delay your period, not induce it, so I am very confused! I do have estrogen dominance too...I am 20, have probably had it since I hit puberty. Any one else had anything like this happen/know what it could be?
Progesterone can delay or induce a period depending on timing and dosage.
No harm either way.
Ovulation times can change sometimes.
Spotting can happen if progesterone is taken before ovulation.
Maybe your first period was not a true period, just spotting.
Are you using it through out the month or last 14 days?
How much are you using?
Is your dose helping you with estrogen dominance?
Could you please share what symptoms are relieved?

tara

Not sure if this applies to you, but I think menstruation can be triggered by a drop in progesterone levels. So if you you accidentally skipped a dose of or two, or the size of your doses was uneven, maybe that could accidentally trigger it? I think this happened to me a couple of times, though not quite so short.

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

Progesterone can delay or induce a period depending on timing and dosage.
No harm either way.
Ovulation times can change sometimes.
Spotting can happen if progesterone is taken before ovulation.
Maybe your first period was not a true period, just spotting.
Are you using it through out the month or last 14 days?
How much are you using?
Is your dose helping you with estrogen dominance?
Could you please share what symptoms are relieved?

I've taken it just the last 14 days, but I haven't noticed any real change so I thought Id take it all month, just emphasizing the dosage the last 14 days. The first one was definitely a full one..lasted 6 days.
I'm trying to take 15-20 drops morning and night, and 10 in the afternoon. Thats for day 14-28. (Times do fluctuate because I work a weird schedule)
For 1-14 more like 10 in the morning 10 at night. I used to only take 15 twice a day during 14-28 but it wasn't having any clear effect...
No symptoms have been relieved so far, thats why I upped the dose.. But this is the only noticeable thing that has happened.

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

Not sure if this applies to you, but I think menstruation can be triggered by a drop in progesterone levels. So if you you accidentally skipped a dose of or two, or the size of your doses was uneven, maybe that could accidentally trigger it? I think this happened to me a couple of times, though not quite so short.
Could be... I used to take it not on a timed or accurate schedule really, and nothing happened, but since I increased the dosage maybe I do need to be more accurate with my dosing.

tara

If there's a big difference between the size of doses so one day is much less than day before, I think that might be able to do it.

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

If there's a big difference between the size of doses so one day is much less than day before, I think that might be able to do it.
It makes sense.. I am messing with my hormones after all.. Just was prepared for the opposite to happen if anything!

sele

I've taken it just the last 14 days, but I haven't noticed any real change so I thought Id take it all month, just emphasizing the dosage the last 14 days. The first one was definitely a full one..lasted 6 days.
I'm trying to take 15-20 drops morning and night, and 10 in the afternoon. Thats for day 14-28. (Times do fluctuate because I work a weird schedule)
For 1-14 more like 10 in the morning 10 at night. I used to only take 15 twice a day during 14-28 but it wasn't having any clear effect...
No symptoms have been relieved so far, thats why I upped the dose.. But this is the only noticeable thing that has happened.
Interesting....
As I understand you are continuing Progest for whole month but changing dose for days 14-28 and 1-14.
What symptoms do you still have?

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

Interesting....
As I understand you are continuing Progest for whole month but changing dose for days 14-28 and 1-14.
What symptoms do you still have?
Yes, you are correct. I'm taking about double for days 14-28.
I have all of the ones I started with, chronic acne (since I was 12, so almost 9 years now.) cellulite dimpling on thighs even though I am thin, also have had that since I was about 14. Chronic fatigue, and depression, although the depression isn't as bad as it used to be. I did take a saliva test and It showed that my progesterone level was that of a post menopausal woman and I took the test when I was 19 almost 20.

whodathunkit

I just brought on a period that was a lot closer than it should have been to the first, while I was taking progesterone.

Are you acutely stressed about anything right now?

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

I just brought on a period that was a lot closer than it should have been to the first, while I was taking progesterone.

Are you acutely stressed about anything right now?
Currently yes, but at the time of the double, no. Were you taking a larger dose than usual? That's what I did, so I guess that is why..

mjrm

my understanding of progesterone was that it was supposed to be used only in the two weeks up until ovulation and then stopped. ?

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

my understanding of progesterone was that it was supposed to be used only in the two weeks up until ovulation and then stopped. ?
It is, but Ray Peat has also said to take it continually if symptoms are severe enough.

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

with the reaction you're describing, it seems a bit like you are over-dosing.
I've been taking it for about 9 months with no clear effect, so I thought I might as well try doubling the dose to see what happens. Besides that I have had no ill effects.

oriana

I just took Progest-E for the first time last month while in midst of some kind of unprecedented joint swelling/bone pain/mega stiffness situation. I read the threads about starting with a high dose to counter estrogen, and over two weeks between ovulation and bleeding I used two bottles (all that I had ordered) both rubbing it on my gums and on my attractive elephantitus-ankles , legs, wrists. I took enough to make me sleep at night and kept up pretty continual drops orally during the day, trying to ward of PMS symptoms while avoiding sleepiness during the day.

I was wanting to see if I would not start my period as a sign that progesterone was high and staying high. But I did start bleeding, much to my chagrin. I also had a lot of regular PMS sx.

I assume that this is related to my thyroid levels (I have graves and hashi, apparently, and am not taking thyroid atm). I wrote to Ray to ask about this and he said: "Thyroid, especially the quick acting T3, can quickly reduce menstrual bleeding by lowering estrogen; resting pulse rate is the easiest indicator of the thyroid effect, other than the bleeding stopping."

This month I'm going to try the same thing with a lot of Progest-E and if I start bleeding I'll maybe titrate in the T3 and see if the bleeding stops. I haven't been taking it (T3) daily since it seems to make me feel like I have gauze wrapped around my head or like the whole world is underwater or somehow muffled...very fuzzy and sleepy quality which I definitely don't like.

I've also been taking a lot of aspirin daily-- sometimes up to 5 or 6 g-- and I wondered if this was making the bleeding happen more easily.

Thoughts much appreciated!

Sheik

I had a woman in her mid 40s try progesterone, and a few days later I heard her loudly proclaim to someone in another room, "I got my period again!" I didn't say anything.

ilpmusic

I used to have the double period issue b/c I took some allergies "natural " remedies. My dr specialized in women health issue did a blood test and specifically ask the lab to do more test . From those results, she prescribed a specific amount of progesterone. it was too much. then she tapered it. I was only suppose take progesterone from day 14 to day 28. the problem stopped after 5 or 6 cycles. have your dr check the levels.

alywest

I just realized that my last period start 9/8, and then again 9/29. My last period was really heavy and had clots, this one is starting out really dark and light in volume. No cramps either time (so far!) so that's interesting because I used to get bad cramps. I have been taking progesterone non-stop like you, in an attempt to ward off the evil estrogen demons. I just read:

But the dosage can also make a difference.

For peri-menopausal, menopausal, and post-menopausal women, start with 3 drops 5 times per day for 2 to 4 weeks. Then continue with 3 drops 3 times per day. Should be cycled 3 weeks on, then 1 week off.

For pre-menopausal women who are still menstruating, 3 drops 1 to 3 times daily on days 14 through 28 of the menstrual cycle. Dosage (3 drops) can be repeated as needed, for more severe symptoms.
http://www.forefronthealth.com/shop/progesterone-complex/

I also noticed this month that my mood was a lot more stable once the period started. Perhaps the excessive amounts of progesterone premenstrually was forcing my estrogen to get that much higher. I have been continuing the progesterone during my period, but as the estrogen has clearly dropped, almost instantly, I might just use the week I actually have my period to quit the progesterone. OR perhaps the week after would be better because maybe the progesterone is preventing me from getting horrible cramps. One of the reasons I looked into Progesterone to begin with is that I would actually be in a worse mood DURING my period than during PMS! I would seriously have zero patience, which is a bad thing when you have two toddlers. That hasn't been as big of a struggle since I started Progesterone!

Mary Pruter

I purchased progesterone online because it's the only place I could find it in capsule form. What I purchased is called PergestoMend. The instructions on the bottle say that I should give my mother, 91 with dementia, two tablets a day for the first 2 weeks then it can be raised to 4 tablets a day for 2 to 4 months. I am not sure if this is the way peat would recommend it. I told my sister that I have her on this and she told me that the "fake hormones" are cancer-causing. Is that a pharmaceutical fake hormone? Would it still hold true 2 a supplemental type?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals