Seborrheic Dermatitis

M

metabolizm

Is there anyone here with this condition who has found a dietary solution?

I get frequent flare-ups of this on my scalp and under my facial hair. It seems to improve when I stop eating wheat, but it's still there. Sadly, I'm starting to suspect that cheese might be another problem, and maybe even sugar.

I also have some sort of yeast coating on my tongue which must be related.

Vinero

I have suffered from eczema, and also experience flare ups when eating lots of cheese and or dairy.
In fact, I can turn on my eczema condition simply by eating lots of the foods recommended by peat such as milk, eggs, cheese, and orange juice.
If I eat a very simple diet consisting of meat + starch it clears up within a week. For example eating white rice and lean beef and nothing else will clear it up within a few days to a week.
White bread and white potatoes are safe to eat too in my experience. Other cuts of meat such as chicken breast or turkey breast are safe as well. Pork flares the eczema up and doesn´t make me feel good for whatever reason. Sugar doesn´t seem to make it worse but fruit sometimes does, especially oranges and orange juice. Almost all vegetables make the eczema worse especially carrots and leafy greens like kale and spinach. Mushrooms, unions, garlic, parsnips seem safe to me.

I have been peating for a very long time, and realized that most of peats dietary recommendations don´t work for me. I can´t eat dairy, eggs, carrot salad, orange juice, liver etc.
So I just eat starch + meat and some sugar like apples or coke, and avoid PUFA. That seems to be the safest option for me and keeps the eczema away.

OP
M

metabolizm

I have suffered from eczema, and also experience flare ups when eating lots of cheese and or dairy.
In fact, I can turn on my eczema condition simply by eating lots of the foods recommended by peat such as milk, eggs, cheese, and orange juice.
If I eat a very simple diet consisting of meat + starch it clears up within a week. For example eating white rice and lean beef and nothing else will clear it up within a few days to a week.
White bread and white potatoes are safe to eat too in my experience. Other cuts of meat such as chicken breast or turkey breast are safe as well. Pork flares the eczema up and doesn´t make me feel good for whatever reason. Sugar doesn´t seem to make it worse but fruit sometimes does, especially oranges and orange juice. Almost all vegetables make the eczema worse especially carrots and leafy greens like kale and spinach. Mushrooms, unions, garlic, parsnips seem safe to me.

I have been peating for a very long time, and realized that most of peats dietary recommendations don´t work for me. I can´t eat dairy, eggs, carrot salad, orange juice, liver etc.
So I just eat starch + meat and some sugar like apples or coke, and avoid PUFA. That seems to be the safest option for me and keeps the eczema away.

Thank you.

I don't know how much SB is connected to eczema, but there's probably some overlap.

My SB has been really bad again recently, and my eyes are also really dry. It's such a frustrating problem. I have not eaten any wheat for about a week, but still the problem persists. I feel very hypothyroid at the moment, and am not sure what to do.

ursidae

I’ve had this for 6 years. The only thing that fixed it was spending all my time in the sun. I don’t think what I ate played a big role. Was eating carrots and eggs every day, even occasional liver and it was still non existent.

Last winter when I was vit D deficient and ate too much liver it was at its most severe so maybe there’s something to vit A-not sure

OP
M

metabolizm

I’ve had this for 6 years. The only thing that fixed it was spending all my time in the sun. I don’t think what I ate played a role. Was eating carrots and eggs every day, even occasional liver and it was still non existent.

Last winter when I was vit D deficient and ate too much liver it was at its most severe

I’ve been supplementing vitamin D and it’s making no difference.

Vinero

You might be reacting to one or several foods in your diet. You could try an experiment like eating only white rice and beef for a week, and see if that clears thing up. If it does, then you know that something in your diet doesn´t agree with you. The next step is adding only one food item at a time to the basic diet of white rice and beef and see if it causes a negative reaction.
I am of the opinion that the dry eye and your dermatitis are connected. If you can find out what foods agree and don´t agree with you both will be fixed at the same time.

OP
M

metabolizm

You might be reacting to one or several foods in your diet. You could try an experiment like eating only white rice and beef for a week, and see if that clears thing up. If it does, then you know that something in your diet doesn´t agree with you. The next step is adding only one food item at a time to the basic diet of white rice and beef and see if it causes a negative reaction.
I am of the opinion that the dry eye and your dermatitis are connected. If you can find out what foods agree and don´t agree with you both will be fixed at the same time.

I have absolutely no doubt that the dry eyes and dermatitis are connected because they always occur together. You suggest an elimination diet: I think that might be the only thing to do.

OP
M

metabolizm

If SB is an overabundance or yeast, should I simply be eliminating yeast from my diet altogether? Has anyone here tried this?

gately

I cured mine 90% by eliminating “dry“ meats. I discovered I had a delayed reaction to any poultry (other than extremely moist, velveted chicken from crappy Chinese joints) or overcooked beef, etc. The drier and tougher the meat the worst the reaction would be in a few days.

The other 10% went away after I started taking baking soda baths once a week. 1 or 2 cups in hot water, soak for 45 minutes. If I ever mess up and eat a dry meat, this will heal the flare up like nothing else.

ursidae

I’ve been supplementing vitamin D and it’s making no difference.
Supplemental vitamin d didn’t do anything for me. Being outdoors helps with everything. UK is a very tough place to live, I lost my health there. I recommend parsnip and pear for elimination diet if white rice causes issues, there was lots of those there I noticed

OP
M

metabolizm

Supplemental vitamin d didn’t do anything for me. Being outdoors helps with everything. UK is a very tough place to live, I lost my health there. I recommend parsnip and pear for elimination diet if white rice causes issues, there was lots of those there I noticed

Did you get your vitamin D tested after supplementing? I’ve been taking 4000IU. Going to get tested in October to make sure it’s actually working.

Yes, the lack of sunshine where I live makes things very difficult - vitamin D supplements and sun beds are really the only option most of the time.

ursidae

Did you get your vitamin D tested after supplementing? I’ve been taking 4000IU. Going to get tested in October to make sure it’s actually working.

Yes, the lack of sunshine where I live makes things very difficult - vitamin D supplements and sun beds are really the only option most of the time.
First time I supplemented it came out lower. It didn’t do anything for the seborrhoea but it affected other things. Haven’t tested since last time because of all the sun I got at the time of supplementation

animal fat is a more natural vit D supplement but if working on minimising PUFA it would be hard to get enough from that alone

Just going to quote one of my previous posts in case it helps:

"I don't know if what I had was dandruff or "seborrheic dermatitis" but I was recently having some thick yellow waxy flakes on the top of my scalp (they looked like the 2nd picture here: Seborrheic dermatitis - Symptoms and causes ). Eating more canned oysters seemed to have gotten rid of it. Maybe I was very deficient in zinc. I had one can a day for a week and haven't noticed those flakes that I used to see on the top of my scalp."
How Often Should I Eat Liver To Remedy Dandruff

Also since I've greatly limited milk intake as an experiment, I've noticed almost no dandruff/flakes. Don't know if it's a milk in general thing for me, or metabolism thing (some people here have said they needed more vitamin A when drinking milk), or hormonal (saw some posts about how sometimes milk can affect androgens leading to more oiliness/acne). But for me milk seemed to be a culprit. I've never tried raw or the other organic varieties. Only the 'regular' milk as well as lactose free and UHT lactose free. All gave me the waxy flakes.

OP
M

metabolizm

Just going to quote one of my previous posts in case it helps:

"I don't know if what I had was dandruff or "seborrheic dermatitis" but I was recently having some thick yellow waxy flakes on the top of my scalp (they looked like the 2nd picture here: Seborrheic dermatitis - Symptoms and causes ). Eating more canned oysters seemed to have gotten rid of it. Maybe I was very deficient in zinc. I had one can a day for a week and haven't noticed those flakes that I used to see on the top of my scalp."
How Often Should I Eat Liver To Remedy Dandruff

Also since I've greatly limited milk intake as an experiment, I've noticed almost no dandruff/flakes. Don't know if it's a milk in general thing for me, or metabolism thing (some people here have said they needed more vitamin A when drinking milk), or hormonal (saw some posts about how sometimes milk can affect androgens leading to more oiliness/acne). But for me milk seemed to be a culprit. I've never tried raw or the other organic varieties. Only the 'regular' milk as well as lactose free and UHT lactose free. All gave me the waxy flakes.

I’ve been suspecting milk too, although I’d hate to have to give it up. What about cheese, did you have the same problem with that?

OP
M

metabolizm

UPDATE:

I'm going to continue with my gluten-free diet for another couple of weeks, because gluten is still my main suspect.
If that doesn't work, I'm going to drop milk and cheese. (That will be tough!)
If that doesn't work, I'll probably think about drastically reducing sugar intake.
If that doesn't work...

This is of course assuming that my SB and dry eyes are being triggered by a particular food.

OP
M

metabolizm

Looking into it a bit more, I think I have dandruff rather than SD. SD looks much more severe. The dandruff does seem to be connected to the dry eyes.

OP
M

metabolizm

ALSO: I should have mentioned, aside from the dandruff and dry eyes, I also have a white coating on my tongue, occasional "jock itch" flare ups. Clearly, there is a systemic problem here.

I’ve been suspecting milk too, although I’d hate to have to give it up. What about cheese, did you have the same problem with that?

I didn't notice the flakes after eating cheese, so I think it was milk specifically that caused the issue somehow. (But again, it may have been the forms in which I was consuming it as I never tried the organic or raw types).

Some people also find B6 to be helpful for dry skin and flakey skin issues.

I cured mine 90% by eliminating “dry“ meats. I discovered I had a delayed reaction to any poultry (other than extremely moist, velveted chicken from crappy Chinese joints) or overcooked beef, etc. The drier and tougher the meat the worst the reaction would be in a few days.

The other 10% went away after I started taking baking soda baths once a week. 1 or 2 cups in hot water, soak for 45 minutes. If I ever mess up and eat a dry meat, this will heal the flare up like nothing else.

Can you try to eat dry meats and drink lots of water with each bite? Would be interesting to know for certain that foodmatrix effects could be partially responsible.

gately

Can you try to eat dry meats and drink lots of water with each bite? Would be interesting to know for certain that foodmatrix effects could be partially responsible.
Good thinking, and thanks for offering that thought, but doesn’t work. I’m not sure what it is. I feel a flushing tingle all over my skin when I eat very dry chicken, which always lets me know I’m about to have a dermatitis flare. I wish I did know what the cause was, not because it’s hard for me to avoid these foods, but because it started when I became chronically ill in other mysterious ways, so it might be a clue. I remember once thinking it had something to due with beta-alanine, and that taurine might help...but can’t remember what the end result of that experiment was.

I’m very vata from Ayurvedic perspective and generally need to eat a very high fat, warm, moist and starchy diet to feel anywhere near optimal.

It isn’t a problem for me. I don’t find dry meat palatable at all, and the only thing I need to be careful with is eating chicken when dining out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals