Seborrheic Dermatitis

Potatoe

Another avenue I read recently but haven't started down is blood donation to reduce iron. Fungus species feed on excess iron in the host so is plausible that iron reduction would help:

Does Fungal Infection Cause Male Pattern Baldness and Heart Disease? - Rogue Health and Fitness

Thank you Overton! As a part of my detox, I have been taking light iron supplements with every meal to reduce manganese uptake! I will look into the possible connection. It's hard to track body iron reserves with COVID. No way I am going out to the lab right now.

What is MCT? MCT oil like made from coconut?

Potatoe

Is methylation more or less in seborrheic dermatitis?
Hi Coderr, I did some more research on methylation. The processes are so complex I couldn't figure them out. However, I can tell you that I was on 5MTHFR due to my C677T genetics. Then when a geneticist did a more detailed test, he suggested I switch to folinic acid to reduce my methyl intake. I have also read from some people they don't respond well to 5MTHFR, so folinic worked better for them regarding hair loss.

I think the only two things I needed to stop the itching were NAC and tea tree oil castile shampoo. The castile soap made out of olive oil isn't really strong enough to keep my hair perfectly washed, but that's not a priority for me right now. The web derm is not cured but I am not itchy, so that's a start.

Overton

Thank you Overton! As a part of my detox, I have been taking light iron supplements with every meal to reduce manganese uptake! I will look into the possible connection. It's hard to track body iron reserves with COVID. No way I am going out to the lab right now.

What is MCT? MCT oil like made from coconut?

I hear you COVID took the wind out of my sail on diving into the iron levels. Think I will start with testing soon anyway, as more time reading here/RP materials has me wondering about thyroid as the overarching of the dermatitis and some others.

Yes, I meant MCT Oil from coconut extract. I have the dermatitis on my face nose, so I rub a small amount 1-2x per day and have seen improvements. Good luck!

OP
M

Maniek1300

update:
I only take B-complex and Biotin.
I lubricate my head every other day with ACV - this helps with an itchy head.
I'm fed up with the scales on my scalp and the hair falling out.
I am devastated, I have been fighting it for 20 years and nothing. What kind of disease is it, whether it is intestinal problems or systemic mycosis.

Potatoe

update:
I am devastated, I have been fighting it for 20 years and nothing. What kind of disease is it, whether it is intestinal problems or systemic mycosis.

Regarding the possibility of intestinal problems, have you had a stool culture done? It won't detect everything but Doctor's Data for instance will list susceptibility to natural substances along with antibiotics.

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?

Potatoe

update:
Hi Maniek,
Since you've had this issue for 20 years and still have hair to lose, that's probably a good thing that it's a cyclical problem in some sense. There's a mention of COVID-19 causing temporary hair loss, and a link to a mention about cyclical hair loss here: Here’s Why Some People Who Had COVID-19 Are Now Dealing With Hair Loss

I've had chronic illnesses for more than 40 years. It turns out they were all related in the genetics of how my body handles detox. The issue with detox is that often your body will try to get rid of heavy metals and some other xenobiotics through the hair. Cadmium levels were statistically higher in people losing hair. But any heavy metal or even high manganese levels can cause hair loss. And they can cause an imbalance in your immune system which allows the overgrowth of fungus that causes seb derm.

The detox pathway is called methylation and sulfation. It is complex but people have reported improvement in sebaceous dermatitis by taking folinic acid. I have found improvement by taking NAC. Both of these, and sublingual b12 can increase the amount of glutathione your cells produce. The glutathione clears toxins and reduces oxidative stress. Effects can occur as quickly as a couple days, but may take longer, especially if you have a b12 deficiency. But do not overdo these things, as they can become counterproductive in high doses.

Also, for what it's worth, among my issues, hair loss is among the least of my issues. The itching was bad, but went away with the topicals and NAC. Do you have any other issues, like sleep disturbances, sleep apnea, nightmares, muscle control, pain, or cloudy thinking? These can be a clue.

Good luck!

I would combine these with topicals solutions others have provided.

Dustin94

It seems MCT oil (without Lauric acid, c12) seems to help people with sebderm on the scalp, as well as on the face, eyebrows, mustache. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on that?

OP
M

Maniek1300

I am currently taking the update:
- Biotin
- Vitamin B complex
- Coffee 2 times a day with honey
- ACV for 20 minutes
- Kerium DS shampoo
- Every day I put my head out in the sun for half an hour.
The scalp calmed down, I cut my hair short.
I am devastated my hair is even thinner. The question is whether vitamin B or coffee can increase hair loss.
Please reply. I am already devastated by this state of mind.

- Biotin
- Vitamin B complex
- ACV for 20 minutes
- Kerium DS shampoo
I am devastated my hair is even thinner. The question is whether vitamin B or coffee can increase hair loss.

I believe you have deficiency of everything and need to start disciplined eating and supplementing to account for the increased need of regeneration. Can you link to a post that specifies your diet/ daily intake of Food and such.

gately

I have cured my SD. Im sure it won’t apply to everyone, but happy to share.

All I have to do is avoid dry meat, especially dry poultry. If I eat chicken it needs to be crappy Chinese restaurant level moist. So I don’t eat a lot of chicken, because most chicken is too dry. All turkey is too dry.

If I eat dry meat of any kind, even if beef is rough and dry, my SD will flare on my face within a couple days.

While in a flare, I have a remarkable way of quickly healing the SD: 1 pound baking soda and 2 pounds sea salt in a bath, you may also add 1 pound magnesium power (chloride or epsom salt) for extra benefits. I take them weekly now and avoid dry meat, and have been SD free for over a year. Longest in my life.

Potatoe

- Biotin
- Vitamin B complex
- ACV for 20 minutes
- Kerium DS shampoo
Are you willing to try Folinic acid 800 mcg/day? It has been reported to help hair loss by supplementing the detox process. Also Omega 3 fatty acids. It's really important to try to break the stress cycle, but omega 3 is important for everyone regardless of hair or other conditions.

yashi

Are you willing to try Folinic acid 800 mcg/day? It has been reported to help hair loss by supplementing the detox process. Also Omega 3 fatty acids. It's really important to try to break the stress cycle, but omega 3 is important for everyone regardless of hair or other conditions.
Just fyi, Ray Peat advocates avoiding all PUFA, including omega 3 fatty acids.
The Great Fish Oil Experiment

Vegancrossfit

In the morning when I get up:
6.00 - a glass of orange juice, T3 tablet, two drops of BM, caffeine and vitamin B3
8.00 - white cheese with honey or sweet milk
9.00 - a glass of orange juice, caffeine and vitamin B3
12.00 - a glass of orange juice
14.00 - a glass of orange juice, aspirin
16.00 - dinner, potatoes, pork chop, salad
18.00 - bread or pasta, toast
18.30- a glass of orange juice, caffeine, vitamin B3

During the day, a cake or a bun.
I noticed I have a stomach problem after eating rice, pasta or potatoes.
About 5 teas every day.

I know this is RPF and sugar can only be the best fuel ever but in my experience cutting out all sources of sugar (Minus whole fruit) yields immense progress

Potatoe

Just fyi, Ray Peat advocates avoiding all PUFA, including omega 3 fatty acids.
The Great Fish Oil Experiment
Yashi, Overton,
Thanks for the info on the oils. I know my seb derm is related to my other health issues, and the other health issues are definitely related to oxidative stress. The oxidative stress is caused primarily by metals overload, but I did not know the connection with PUFAs and such, and I will read more.

@Maniek1300

I am on a High Protein ketogenic Diet since 3 months, and my inflammatory acne got considerably better, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and acne share some commonalities in so far that the named are hyperproliferative states; i tried all recommended supplementation regimes, high A, high E, proper Zn refeed and all others. A preliminary recommendation for fat as fuelsource from me at this point.

Andy316

Histamine, Fatty liver can cause this. Quercetin has helped a lot, get it from food sources like onion or capers.

M

metabolizm

I think it is often related to diet, at least in my case. I'm getting closer to finding the cause, and the main things I'm investigating are:

• wheat
  • excessive sugar consumption
  • yeast

hei

I recently had some relief from skin cream containing 12.5% urea after reading about urea on here. I'm not cured but after several days the inflammation was greatly reduced: welts around my hairline gone, no bleeding from crusts peeling off my beard/cheeks/forehead/eyebrows/ears, etc. The cream was quite thick and harder to get into my scalp but that has also improved.
Never had any improvement from dietary changes or supplements or shampoos. Antifungal shampoos only changed some qualities of the flakes (when there was an infection to begin with) but did not stop or even reduce them. This is the most anything has done for me.

Dustin94

After experimenting with dead sea salt and white vinegar, I've settled on using MCT oil (without lauric acid) and Nizoral. I've seen a dramatic improvement over my sebderm this past week. I apply the MCT oil using an eyedropper over my scalp on the problem areas at night. I sleep with the MCT oil on, and the next morning I take a shower and use nizoral to dry up my oily hair. After my hair dries, I apply a little amount of MCT oil to the areas that feel itchy on my scalp. I repeat this process every 4-5 days.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals