Screening For Gestational Diabetes

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I'm 15 weeks pregnant and I will be required to do a screening for Gestational diabetes (because I'm over 25 years old.... I'm 30). I'll need to take the test in about 2 months.

Any tips to pass this glucose test on the first try? (Failing will open me up for a number of other medical interventions that I don't want!)

I've read biotin may be helpful for this? I've also read that a high protein breakfast helps.

Any other ideas are welcome!

dfspcc20

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and I will be required to do a screening for Gestational diabetes (because I'm over 25 years old.... I'm 30). I'll need to take the test in about 2 months.

Any tips to pass this glucose test on the first try? (Failing will open me up for a number of other medical interventions that I don't want!)

I've read biotin may be helpful for this? I've also read that a high protein breakfast helps.

My wife is pregnant with her 3rd. She's 35. She was worried about the same thing. The only thing she really did differently in preparation was taking niacinamide, ~50mg 2-3x/day, I think. She passed the 1 hour test a few weeks ago, so she's (relatively) free now!

With her 2nd, she did fail the 1 hour test. She got regular acupuncture after that, then passed the 2 (or was is 3?) hour test.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
My wife is pregnant with her 3rd. She's 35. She was worried about the same thing. The only thing she really did differently in preparation was taking niacinamide, ~50mg 2-3x/day, I think. She passed the 1 hour test a few weeks ago, so she's (relatively) free now!

With her 2nd, she did fail the 1 hour test. She got regular acupuncture after that, then passed the 2 (or was is 3?) hour test.

Oh good idea, I'll plan to get acupuncture before and up my niacinamide! Thanks!

jaguar43

in his book nutrition for women he discusses the implications of gestational diabetes. He stated that babies born to women with gestational diabetes were more intelligent and healthy than babies that weren't. Here is a quote from an interview in the so call "gestational diabetes".

RAY PEAT: Obstetricians, as recently as old people that I knew, old doctors in the 1970’s were still aware of the fact that their so-called diabetic mothers very often had extremely precocious babies. I talked to one woman who was told to go on a reducing diet because of her previous pregnancies. She had had very high blood sugar, and I asked her how that baby had turned out. She said, "Oh, he taught himself to read when he was two years old. When he was four he was already wearing adult hat sizes”, which is basically an extension of what Zamenhof demonstrated with chicken embryo development. Sugar is the limiting factor, usually, in brain development. In the 1970’s, doctors were looking for new diseases to treat, and diabetes was extended to include the very completely new concept of gestational diabetes. And where a 130 blood sugar had been considered very healthy for a pregnant woman, they now wanted to restrain the level of blood sugar during pregnancy. And they started calling it a disease. “gestational diabetes”, that really was just a healthy pregnancy in most cases.

http://l-i-g-h-t.com/transcript-431

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
in his book nutrition for women he discusses the implications of gestational diabetes. He stated that babies born to women with gestational diabetes were more intelligent and healthy than babies that weren't. Here is a quote from an interview in the so call "gestational diabetes".

RAY PEAT: Obstetricians, as recently as old people that I knew, old doctors in the 1970’s were still aware of the fact that their so-called diabetic mothers very often had extremely precocious babies. I talked to one woman who was told to go on a reducing diet because of her previous pregnancies. She had had very high blood sugar, and I asked her how that baby had turned out. She said, "Oh, he taught himself to read when he was two years old. When he was four he was already wearing adult hat sizes”, which is basically an extension of what Zamenhof demonstrated with chicken embryo development. Sugar is the limiting factor, usually, in brain development. In the 1970’s, doctors were looking for new diseases to treat, and diabetes was extended to include the very completely new concept of gestational diabetes. And where a 130 blood sugar had been considered very healthy for a pregnant woman, they now wanted to restrain the level of blood sugar during pregnancy. And they started calling it a disease. “gestational diabetes”, that really was just a healthy pregnancy in most cases.

I've heard this before, but unfortunately the consequences of not passing are not great for women and babies in our current US medical system.

I'm not really worried about whether or not I have it. I just want to momentarily cheat the system, so to speak. :happy:

jaguar43

I've heard this before, but unfortunately the consequences of not passing are not great for women and babies in our current US medical system.

I'm not really worried about whether or not I have it. I just want to momentarily cheat the system, so to speak. :happy:

you get to choose which treatment you want or do not want.

tara

And my birth center can choose not to serve me. And then I could try to find somewhere else and encounter the same issue.
:( Be nice if one had a right to appropriate medical care with the right to informed consent.

What kind of screening test would be used? Under what conditions? Are you required to fast beforehand etc?
I don't know, but my guess would be to get some movement the day before, and a good night's sleep, and have all the B-vits at good levels over the period before. And if you suspect it might go high, avoid carb-loading the night before.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
:( Be nice if one had a right to appropriate medical care with the right to informed consent.

What kind of screening test would be used? Under what conditions? Are you required to fast beforehand etc?

I don't know, but my guess would be to get some movement the day before, and a good night's sleep, and have all the B-vits at good levels over the period before. And if you suspect it might go high, avoid carb-loading the night before.

The reason I want to pass the first test is because it's much easier than the "if you don't pass" follow-up test.

I have to drink some glucose syrup stuff but I won't have to fast! Unless I fail. o_O

Then they just do a blood test to see if my blood glucose level is higher than 190 mg/dL.

LucyL

I don't know any tricks for passing it :( I failed both tests with my second, and I was sent to nutritional counseling. I was required to keep track of my blood sugar numbers after meals, and as long as they stayed good, no other interventions were required. Not sure what you will be in for if you fail, but the easiest "cheating" is in the self-reporting process. FWIW though, I didn't really cheat on my numbers, I just figured out what type of carbs worked best and in what quantities to keep the postprandial numbers reasonable.

For the next two pregnancies, I just told the doc I didn't want to take the test, I would simply track the blood sugar numbers and report the results. Both docs were fine with that.

Congrats! by the way

Syncopated

Can't you just get a midwife and avoid the system altogether?

tara

I have to drink some glucose syrup stuff but I won't have to fast! Unless I fail. o_O
So maybe see if you can go into the test closer to the bottom than the top of your usual range?

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Can't you just get a midwife and avoid the system altogether?

Yes, I'm already seeing a midwife. But they are highly regulated in California.

If the tests suggest I have Gestational Diabetes I will have to be referred to an MD... If the MD considers my pregnancy too much of a "risk" they will say a midwife cannot deliver.

If a midwife went against this recommendation they could loose their licence. :wtf:

Mossy

I've read biotin may be helpful for this?!
I can share, that my experience with biotin is that it does lower blood glucose. My measure for this is symptomatic, not via blood test.

oburns

the link above does not work? do you have a new one?