School Me On Radiation

J

j.

Does the damage of being exposed to X-rays last forever? Here it seems that Ray is saying that exposure to radiation slows down metabolism for life. Am I understanding him correctly? What are the worst forms of radiation exposure?

Ray Peat said:
All of the ionizing radiations produce immediate and lingering edema, which continues to damage metabolism in a more or less permanent way

Source: Altitude and Mortality

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I hope it's not permanent. :( If so, I am screwed.

Had a ton of x-rays as a sick child.

OP
J

j.

In Ionizing Radiation in Context, Part 1, at about 33:00, RP says radiation damage is smaller if one is exposed late afternoon.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Because metabolism is usually up to speed by that time?

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
Because metabolism is usually up to speed by that time?

I think so, he preceded that comment saying that the body is more tolerant to stress at different times.

OP
J

j.

At 54:00, part 1: If you're determined to get an X-RAY, schedule it in the late afternoon, in the summer, have your blood sugar high, have some gelatinous soup and milk and orange juice ahead of time, and make sure that your hormonal situation is adequate, because you don't want estrogen effects interacting with radiation effect.

Coffee is protective against all kinds of radiation. Niacin and magnesium are good protectors against radiation.

Ray-Z

Charlie said:
I hope it's not permanent. :( If so, I am screwed.

Had a ton of x-rays as a sick child.

Peat has emphasized the similarity between the effects of estrogen and of ionizing radiation. Since Peat's methods can reverse degenerative conditions associated with excess estrogen, I'd have to believe that, if conscientiously applied, they can reverse damage done by x-rays.

So you're probably already doing what you need to do to overcome that damage.

OP
J

j.

Some time ago, I told RP that I had a brain X-RAY scan a year ago. He told me to stop consuming PUFAs and have vitamin E for a few weeks.

kettlebell

Ray-Z is on the money the excitation of cells, hence estrogen and serotonin release is where the problem lies. Ray became interested in radiation due to seeing the same cellular response from radiation as is seen in shock and excess estrogen. In bone this excitation can last for many years but in one of his interviews he did say they can eventually become relaxed and function properly. In normal cells you can heal them by doing all of the things we are doing - Red light therapy being a big player in "Quenching" the cell.

What causes the damage is the constant and large release of serotonin which spreads bodily thanks to the bystander effect. If you can block serotonin release (Potato protein soup, Ondansetron, everything else we do) you block the vast majority of the damage done. PUFA acts like an amp, magnifying radiation damage, hence why people with high pufa diets tend to burn easily in the sun, so cutting that out goes a long way to mitigating any ill effects.

The Russians "Anti radiation" drugs of the cold war were very strong serotonin blocking substances and basically little else.

I was horrified to find out yesterday that my newborn nephew (6 days old today) was given a chest x-ray only four hours after birth. Goodness knows what damage that has and will continue to do for some time in such a small vulnerable baby.

lindsay

almost two years ago, I broke my wrist when I was living in Russia. (this was before I discovered Peat's work)
i went to the clinic in Saint Petersburg and had a series of x-rays. then when I came home, my wrist was not regaining motion and I had to get more x-rays done. in Russia & the Ukraine, you also have to go through body scanners at the airports - no exceptions. and the pollution there is awful! the following months, my health really declined (I had a tumor removed last february) and I'm wondering how much of it was due to radiation exposure and the fact that I already had a low metabolism..... if only I had known!

Swandattur

Would aspirin before X-ray be good? My husband had me go with him to the emergency room late at night because his brother who is a doctor told him his swollen lower leg might have blood clots which could go to his lungs at any time. Of course they X-rayed it and then did an ultrasound. Turned out he didn't have any clots. Just thinking that the X-rays would not have helped the edema.

SAFarmer

I came across this new study and did not know where to post this, so am posting it in 2 threads about cancer and radiation in the hope that those interested will see it.

It is a study about CT scans done on 680 000 people with mean follow-up years of 9.5 . Overall cancer incidence was 24% greater for exposed than for unexposed people. We saw a dose-response relation, and the IRR increased by 0.16 (0.13 to 0.19) for each additional CT scan. The IRR was greater after exposure at younger ages The IRR increased significantly for many types of solid cancer (digestive organs, melanoma, soft tissue, female genital, urinary tract, brain, and thyroid); leukaemia, myelodysplasia, and some other lymphoid cancers

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f2360

There can be no doubt anymore now about the dangers of ionized radiation and the risk of getting cancer.

Parsifal

kettlebell said:
post 8885 Ray-Z is on the money the excitation of cells, hence estrogen and serotonin release is where the problem lies. Ray became interested in radiation due to seeing the same cellular response from radiation as is seen in shock and excess estrogen. In bone this excitation can last for many years but in one of his interviews he did say they can eventually become relaxed and function properly. In normal cells you can heal them by doing all of the things we are doing - Red light therapy being a big player in "Quenching" the cell.

What causes the damage is the constant and large release of serotonin which spreads bodily thanks to the bystander effect. If you can block serotonin release (Potato protein soup, Ondansetron, everything else we do) you block the vast majority of the damage done. PUFA acts like an amp, magnifying radiation damage, hence why people with high pufa diets tend to burn easily in the sun, so cutting that out goes a long way to mitigating any ill effects.

The Russians "Anti radiation" drugs of the cold war were very strong serotonin blocking substances and basically little else.

I was horrified to find out yesterday that my newborn nephew (6 days old today) was given a chest x-ray only four hours after birth. Goodness knows what damage that has and will continue to do for some time in such a small vulnerable baby.
Great post, thanks!

If I recall well Peat wrote in one article that radiation is accumulative hence the question of j. to know if radiation damages last forever? I'm very sad for the poor Japanese people :|.

Here is a very interesting (and long) article on Fukushima: http://www.tuberose.com/Japan'sFukushim ... rophe.html
Other interesting posts on the forum: viewtopic.php?t=2288
viewtopic.php?t=1954
viewtopic.php?t=5487
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=734
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2722
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1612
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=769
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1064
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3944
viewtopic.php?t=2249

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't sick people get more scans?

NathanK

I had a CT scan a few years ago on my head trying to find a tumor. Probably around the time this thread was created. Nothing I can do about it now except keep getting healthier overall.

I saw statistics last year showing the worst place to get a CT is around the abdomen. IIR, theres an exponential chance of getting cancer if done there because of the extra soft tissue mass. The head had a much smaller chance.

Ashoka

I had some x-rays on my chest yesterday in the emergency room. I don't think there was an alternative given the situation, but what can we do to avoid exposure to x-rays and radiation? Are there times when we should consent to x-rays? Whenever I go to the dentist, they want to take x-rays, for example, and you can't talk them out of it. You could say don't go to the dentist, but if the moment arises when there's an actual problem, that's where you go. And then there's NathanK's very live example. As Parsifal says, everything is backwards.

DaveFoster

Everything that I can think of has been covered so far.

We have to take things into context, of course. X-rays help diagnose underlying problems that could potentially become far more harmful than a punctuated event of damage if left untreated.